Falkirk Kelpies @ Dumbarton Rocks

True. However when you see the incident I think you'll agree that it can't, or certainly shouldn't, be classed the same as a clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity, like where a player is put clean through only to be taken down by the last defender, for example.

No one would deny that Docherty's arm is in an unnatural position, and the penalty award was correct, but I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to deny a goal and therefore the red card is harsh. Of course the problem then is the referees very subjective opinion of what is deliberate.

Seen it now. Sorry cant agree with you. I think it probably is a penalty. Dont think he actually intentionally used his arm but he did block a close range on target effort with an arm that was raised above shoulder level. I would have given it.

Given that a penalty was given I cant see any justification whatsoever for it not to be a red. The only basis that the decision is wrong is if you think it shouldnt have been a penalty.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skyline you contradict yourself . If the handball is not deliberate it's not a pen . That's the rules

I agree with you about if it's s pen it must be a red

No I didnt. And the referee guidance says if you are intentionally spreading and raising your arms to make your body bigger and the ball hits it then it is a deliberate act whether it ended up ball to hand or not. I think he did that.

However its possible to interpret that differently. Thats all about opinion. My main point was that I cant at all follow the argument some made that it was a penalty but not a red. Its a red all day long if you think it is a pen.

No I didnt. And the referee guidance says if you are intentionally spreading and raising your arms to make your body bigger and the ball hits it then it is a deliberate act whether it ended up ball to hand or not. I think he did that.

However its possible to interpret that differently. Thats all about opinion. My main point was that I cant at all follow the argument some made that it was a penalty but not a red. Its a red all day long if you think it is a pen.

Finally, some sense on this thread.

It's nigh on impossible to move your body in the way he has without his arms going up. Aye, his arm is high and the ball's hit it from a yard away but I don't think he's thrown his arm up intentionally to make himself bigger, just for balance as he's moving. If we're giving penalties and sending players off for that I find it incredibly harsh. In short, the rule is a pile of shite. Agree that the ref has to send him off though if he's given the decision.

It's nigh on impossible to move your body in the way he has without his arms going up. Aye, his arm is high and the ball's hit it from a yard away but I don't think he's thrown his arm up intentionally to make himself bigger, just for balance as he's moving. If we're giving penalties and sending players off for that I find it incredibly harsh. In short, the rule is a pile of shite. Agree that the ref has to send him off though if he's given the decision.

I completely accept it's possible to interpret what happened differently and that the arm is where it would naturally be for balance. In which case it wouldn't be a penalty at all. I think on balance that I would have given it based on how high his arm actually is but it's one you could give either way depending how you saw it. What's not in question is the validity of the red card under the present rules if a penalty is given.

Archived