Partick Thistle vs Aberdeen - 08/03/16

A few random thoughts:

Hayes seemed to be the only one forcing the issue in the first half but always found himself with two men marking him. Was unlucky with his shot across goal which just missed the post.

The referee changing his mind after McInnes giving him a bollocking was priceless.

Taylor was incredible in the air, a couple of sketchy moments on the deck though.

Amoo was having a field day against Considine.

Pogba looks a decent enough player but is incredibly ineffective. 

Church doesn't have that much to his game aside from working hard and scoring goals from 2 yards out or less (not necessarily a bad thing).

If we're going to win this league, Robson will play a huge part. Don't know if it was a deliberate move from McInnes to keep him out the team until now but the man is a winner.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A frustrating night.  Would say we deserved more from it, but when you defend well enough for 88 minutes, but shit the bed for 2 then you won't win.  Credit to Aberdeen, I don't remember them having that many chances, but they took the two they scored from well.

Would love to see replays of the Lawless strike, looked a wonderful hit from where I was sitting.

Pogba continues to flatter to deceive for me.  He seems to do one thing well, and that's laying off first time from his feet into an on-rushing Amoo.  Everything else he seems to struggle with.  He can't/won't really jump, which limits his abilities to win  headers.  If he tries a first touch that isn't a lay-off, it's usually pretty poor.  And although he is a nuisance to defenders, I don't think he's as much of a nuisance as he could be.  If the rumours of an automatic extension are true, I  honestly wouldn't play him, as I think we can get better for the same money next season.

Thought it was a bit harsh taking Fraser off late on.  He looked like he had a point to prove, and the ball he played in the first half that Pogba lumbered onto was wonderful.  I'd have taken Welsh off - he had a not bad game, but would rather have kept Fraser around.

Doolan's chance should have been hit earlier.  Looked a pretty bad miss first off, but think he took one too many touches, and at that point it was either put it way wide (which he did) or at the keeper who had closed down well.

One big positive though was that we didn't do the usual shit the bed routine.  Too often we've gone ahead, or been level, and we just withdraw and withdraw until they inevitably score.  We had two big lapses yesterday, but otherwise we looked good, played pretty positively.  While I don't think we'll get anything against Celtic, if we go out and play largely like we did last night, then there's no reason we can't cause them problems.

Fraser signalled to the bench to be subbed, he was knackered.

Considering the amount of time he's been out it wasn't surprising. He was excellent though.

Have you never noticed we have a large number of morons in our support? One nugget was shouting repeatedly that McInnes needed to get his hands out his pockets.

Superb win last night, and without tempting fate, always saw this as our toughest game till tynecastle. Hope Robson isn't fucked as massive argument to have him starting next few weeks as was yet again superb and won us the game.

Hope the negative b*****ds change the habit of a lifetime and roar the team on on Saturday. This team deserves much more support than it is getting.

COYR

I heard the guy getting on to Derek McInnes about his hands being in his pockets as well! Who are these idiots? Enjoyed the first half and we should have been a couple up at half time, but Thistle gave us a real game second half and if I was a Thistle fan I'd be disappointed at losing. Great fight from our guys and Barry Robson probably won us the game with his vocals. Let's keep this going.

talking of idiots fans. was walking along the front of the North Stand last night and heard the guy behind me shouting to the aberdeen fans something along the lines of.... "get tae fck ya yid, jewish yid b4stards."

You know that way you have to ask yourself, did i just hear that? 

What an odd character he was!

talking of idiots fans. was walking along the front of the North Stand last night and heard the guy behind me shouting to the aberdeen fans something along the lines of.... "get tae fck ya yid, jewish yid b4stards."

Oy vey

Watched the highlights, reminded me that most of their best chances including one goal came from set pieces. Which is both good in that we're limiting chances from open play, and bad in that when it starts to go like that then every set piece becomes panic stations.

Other than that, Pogba's chance was a bit harder than it originally looked but he did head it straight at the goalie. Doolan's is worse, falls perfectly onto his left foot, would have backed him to finish from there.

6265.jpg?1429738037

I remember someone ripped down a Spurs/Thistle flag in our cup final V QoTS a few years ago. Don't see what's wrong with fans of other clubs supporting other teams but maybe I'm not seething enough at football matches to understand.

Was it Cockney Jag?

Was he an old guy with a hat on and a thistle t shirt? He was standing near me.

He kept making noises like he was having an psychotic episode.

Was he an old guy with a hat on and a thistle t shirt? He was standing near me.

He kept making noises like he was having an psychotic episode.

Think he did have a hat on. tall slim old guy?

weirdo!

Thought a draw was a fair result as Aberdeen for all the ball we had we had in the first half didn't really create much. What a goal from Lawless one that I didn't think we would come back from but wow that 2 minutes was magical moments and one that shows Aberdeen has bottle. Thought Church as having a nightmare during the game but thankfully he got the winning goal!

Like everyone else I hope Thistle get a result against Celtic but I wonder if the amount of games they have recently will count against them.

There is a song that Aberdeen fans sing: If your watching on the Telly your a c*** - same can be said for those watching on periscope imho - get to the games as we are going for a title!

Fraser signalled to the bench to be subbed, he was knackered.

Considering the amount of time he's been out it wasn't surprising. He was excellent though.

Ah, that makes more sense, hadn't noticed that.  Fair enough, take that point back.  His ball into Pogba was absolutely brilliant.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today but I'm fuming at having thrown it away like that.

All this "hope you win the league, hope we do you a favour on Saturday" cuddly toy stuff isn't helping.

I know, I know, verge of tears, seething, etc etc.

Don't worry about it, there's a good number on P&B hoping their team gets beat to help out Aberdeen.

So, don't worry about it.

It was bitterly disappointing to end the game with nothing to show for it after an impressive performance. We more than matched Aberdeen for long spells and especially given our recent run of fixtures, the fitness levels were quite excellent. Aberdeen were threatening throughout, especially through Hayes and McLean, but I thought we limited them to few clear cut chances. We defended resolutely for 91 minutes and very poorly for 2, and that's what cost us. Doolan won't want to see his chance again because it's firmly in the "sitter" category; I'm not sure if he thought he was offside but he never set himself well and scuffed at it.

For me, we lost most of our attacking threat when Lawless and Fraser went off; or rather, when Edwards and German came on. I've not seen enough of Edwards yet to form a solid opinion, and I don't think anyone has seen enough of German to do so either, but I didn't think they contributed anything when they came on and it was no coincidence that we struggled to make anything stick in the final third in the closing stages of the match.

I reckon last night put to bed any notion that Christie might make anything more than an emergency full-back at least for the time being. He was drawn inside far too often and Aberdeen really should have capitalised on the vast amounts of space available in his area during the first half. His distribution was relatively poor - as it was for most of the defence - which was disappointing as he actually got himself into some decent positions. What he did do well was match the pace of Hayes which I suppose was the principal reason for deploying him there.

Lawless certainly didn't do his burgeoning reputation any harm with an absolute stoater of a strike - quite reminiscent of Ross Forbes' goal against Dunfermline, I thought. He was as tricky and crafty as he always is - was unlucky not to get a foul after somehow bringing the ball out of the air whilst surrounded by Aberdeen players and escaping with a Marseille turn. One would hope that he doesn't pitch up at Tannadice next season especially if they are relegated as he deserves to play at this level.

Amoo was deservedly Man of the Match for a stellar second half performance and some really great wing play; it was certainly his most impressive performance in the games I've seen. He was a real threat down our right side and skinned Considine numerous times, putting a few excellent balls into dangerous areas that we really should have made more of. We've not seen that enough from him in his time with us so far in my opinion but if he's capable of that level of performance on a more consistent basis, he'll be a great asset for the remainder of the season and perhaps beyond.

Pogba isn't the most refined footballer I've ever seen but he's a big nuisance and he holds the ball up very well. He was unlucky with the back post header that the Aberdeen keeper did well to save and he had another good chance in the first half from an exquisite Fraser pass that he just couldn't get anything on. That said, I think he has to play in a front two in order to see the best of him; most of his good work is outside the box and by the time the ball is being delivered, he's often struggling to get into the sort of position that you'd want your striker to be in. Perhaps that's more to do with fitness than a lack of ability; would like to see him with a proper pre-season behind him.

For Aberdeen, I thought Shinnie was very impressive and must be in with a good chance of an international call-up. We always struggle to pick up McLean whenever he plays against us - I used to think that was due to incompetence on our part but think I've been doing him a disservice. Hayes was the biggest threat but maybe tried to do too much himself with a couple of wild swings at goal. I think if we'd managed to hold out for 5 minutes after the first goal, we would have had a decent chance of seeing the game out for a point but Aberdeen did what title contenders do and punished us when we were on the ropes.

If we can produce a similar standard of performance on Saturday, we've got a chance. And for me, if we were to contribute to the title race in any sense, I'd rather it was by sticking it up Celtic instead of Aberdeen.

Archived