Club Academy Scotland - Cuts

rtg1971

Anyone know the latest on this? Heard it was being put off till next year at the earliest and might not be implemented at all.

Anyone got any info?

In the Sunday Post today that McClair is at the Euro 17's with Scotland and just about to announce his "much anticipated" blueprint for the future.

Canna wait.......

My problem with this is that CAS hasn't been given the time to prove itself. The u17s are the oldest age group to have played through the CAS system in its entirety. And they have been relatively successful compared to the 19s, 21s and the senior side. The clubs below elite level are having funding cut, drastically in some cases. I suppose that's the SFA's way of imposing natural selection.

The draft system worries me. Surely it's better for a young player to go a club with the right set up than one where the facilities aren't great and the style of play is wrong for him.

My problem with this is that CAS hasn't been given the time to prove itself. The u17s are the oldest age group to have played through the CAS system in its entirety. And they have been relatively successful compared to the 19s, 21s and the senior side. The clubs below elite level are having funding cut, drastically in some cases. I suppose that's the SFA's way of imposing natural selection.

The draft system worries me. Surely it's better for a young player to go a club with the right set up than one where the facilities aren't great and the style of play is wrong for him.

Pro youth has been going way way longer than 7 years m8 it was launched in 1995 so if you are 30yrs old and a professional you are likely to have gone through this system in some way or another

eta in fact my age guys just missed it and I am nearly 36, few of the guys I player with were signed "s" forms with professional club which was the precursor to pro youth, boys were picked up and signed but still allowed to play with boys club until 16 at which point they went full time with said club

The more you look at the problems with Pro Youth and CAS, the more a regionalised set up makes sense. It seems from people you speak to that the players are somehow at fault for not progressing, but there seems to be very little quality control regarding the level of coaching they receive. If the SFA were serious about improving the quality and quantity of elite players coming through, thats where they should start.

The more you look at the problems with Pro Youth and CAS, the more a regionalised set up makes sense.

No it doesn't. That's okay for anyone from Dundee, where most places would be reachable within approximately an hour. What about Aberdeen, for example. The nearest academy's are 70 miles away. Do they just play Dundee, and Dundee Utd home and away for 10 months a year?

Pro youth has been going way way longer than 7 years m8 it was launched in 1995 so if you are 30yrs old and a professional you are likely to have gone through this system in some way or another

eta in fact my age guys just missed it and I am nearly 36, few of the guys I player with were signed "s" forms with professional club which was the precursor to pro youth, boys were picked up and signed but still allowed to play with boys club until 16 at which point they went full time with said club

I'm a bit older than you, so I'm well aware of what went before. My point is that Strachan and the ill informed press have turned CAS into a scapegoat following glorious failure to qualify for Euro 16, despite the fact the players involved didn't come through the CAS system. They were products of the previous system. Old duffers like Strachan and dimwitted journos have a misty eyed view of the past, and how things were better in the old days. The world has moved on, but we've been very slow to realise that.

Archived