16/17 year olds playing Junior Football

playsuptop

Agree with the sentiment that if your good enough your old enough. Junior football isn't as rough and tumble as it was say 20years ago. Look at AC Milan currently their goalie is only 16 and Buffon started around same age.

Ralph i see that even at u15 level when a boy drops from pro youth in to his own age group. They don's get the competitive side of things when in pro youth so long. We beat a team a few weeks back who had 4 drop outs from pro youth and they walked off the park laughing and joking with each other! They have had the competitive edge taken out of them which is totally wrong in my opinion - life's a battle!

Agree with this, played pro youth for years. You were playing for a contract the following year rather than a win on the day. There was no team bond as everyone was in it for their own benifit. If you personally have a good game, the result didn't matter as it made you look good to the manager and had a better chance of getting kept on the following year. League titles, cup finals! Take that any day!

Kilsyth won the Scottish junior club with a forward line (remember that?) which had a sixteen year old (Alex Paterson), a 17 year old (Billy Wilson), an 18 year old (Jim Green), a 19 year old (Pat McMahon) and an old guy of 21 (Jimmy Carroll). This was in the days when allegedly Junior football was a rough house with a "hatchet" man at the centre of defence and refs turning a blind eye. Definitely not so, it was a man's game but skill will always prevail, and these guys had it in plenty. And there was another 18 year old who would definitely have been in the team (Drew Jarvie) but he had been injured in a Junior international after our semi final tie.

I stated something similar to a man in his late 50s who was involved with the sfa only 5 months ago, I also said that in Wales and Northern Ireland where I was assigned to with my job that kids and amatuer teams in these locations were streets ahead of Scotland, by having 1st,2nd and 3rd teams all playing in leagues and cups. Participation in these locations are miles ahead of Scotland. His reply was it don't matter how many people play it's about quality. Well there both at the euros was my reply

I stated something similar to a man in his late 50s who was involved with the sfa only 5 months ago, I also said that in Wales and Northern Ireland where I was assigned to with my job that kids and amatuer teams in these locations were streets ahead of Scotland, by having 1st,2nd and 3rd teams all playing in leagues and cups. Participation in these locations are miles ahead of Scotland. His reply was it don't matter how many people play it's about quality. Well there both at the euros was my reply

Well said and sometimes we need to remember that rather than think young guys are scared to enter a " mans " arena the exact opposite can be true too.

Young guys can be fearless sometimes and it doesn't really sink in who they're playing against and reputations.

I remember eoin Jess at aberdeen as a young teenager taking on Rangers international players in cup finals and the guy was superb , he just took it all in his stride and was immense , Jess is only one example ️️however despite not going onto fulfilling his potential he was great back then against guys who had made it .

Is there not issues around having to have separate changing areas for teenagers depending on age. I'm pretty sure it was along the lines of kids under 17 or 16 couldn't change in the same changing room as anyone above the age?

Is that no longer an issue? If it is do clubs have the facilities to cope?

I was at Girvan when kris played against us for Kello.

Absolute stick out even then .

As per earlier text I think this is without doubt the way forward.

Always remember going to Maryhill midweek and they had a wall full of ex players who became legends. !!!

Brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a great idea my own son is playing today and he is only 16. Has just left pro youth

Good luck to your son this afternoon, pablo. If he's a striker I fancy him for a hat trick.

Archived