16/17 year olds playing Junior Football

playsuptop

Personally I think young kids playing junior is a great experience and shows full time teams that they can play and compete against men. However, people say they are to young for the roughness that comes with junior football and should concentrate on pro youth. Thoughts on this as many clubs now have young squads and competing for titles.

Personally I think young kids playing junior is a great experience and shows full time teams that they can play and compete against men. However, people say they are to young for the roughness that comes with junior football and should concentrate on pro youth. Thoughts on this as many clubs now have young squads and competing for titles.

Will be great for some and a step too far for others. The reality is that the same rules apply to all levels of adult football so one ( in theory) shouldn't be any more rough than the other.

100% spot on

Exactly and only in scotland can we hear this shite.

Good enough get them in regaldless.

Only in scotland do people discuss potential with a guy that's 25 .

Young guys go to the gym these days and can muscle older guys off the ball , let their ability and the ball skills talk .

If good enough they're old enough. We have 11 players who are 18/19 & we see an improvement week on week with the experience they are gaining playing junior football. Decision making is improving along with their mental & physical strength.

Exactly and only in scotland can we hear this shite.

Good enough get them in regaldless.

Only in scotland do people discuss potential with a guy that's 25 .

Young guys go to the gym these days and can muscle older guys off the ball , let their ability and the ball skills talk .

Couldn't agree more!

It's the way forwards for sure especially when so many pro teams are using the under 20's league to play older guys returning from injury or fringe players giving them "Game Time"...The junior game clearly is an opportunity for these youngsters to showcase their talents and should be embraced by all clubs.

Couldn't agree more!

It's unreal in scotland so it is , derek riordan at Hibernian aged 25 despite doing great was described by our media as having " potential " .

Meanwhile down South Wayne Rooney scored as a 15 year old for everton against arsenal and it was great of course but generally accepted as being good enough so he was old enough .

Scottish football is full of dinosaurs .

It's unreal in scotland so it is , derek riordan at Hibernian aged 25 despite doing great was described by our media as having " potential " .

Meanwhile down South Wayne Rooney scored as a 15 year old for everton against arsenal and it was great of course but generally accepted as being good enough so he was old enough .

Scottish football is full of dinosaurs .

In my experience, playing alongside older experienced players helped me grow as a player rather than playing pro youth against players my own age. I think Scottish football is ruined by the idea of "he is to young"

In my experience, playing alongside older experienced players helped me grow as a player rather than playing pro youth against players my own age. I think Scottish football is ruined by the idea of "he is to young"

I would expand a little bit and ️pardon the oxymoron and say we can't get over the " he's too wee syndrome " if messi was scottish he would be with Albion rovers for being too " wee " and big dumplings like Darren Dodds would be full time.

It's the way forwards for sure especially when so many pro teams are using the under 20's league to play older guys returning from injury or fringe players giving them "Game Time"...The junior game clearly is an opportunity for these youngsters to showcase their talents and should be embraced by all clubs.

Great point I think it could be the way forward especially for smaller clubs like ours..

We have 3-4 under 16s train with us on a regular basis and help out when required.

They all played the other night in friendly and did well with 15yr old striker scoring.

Great experience and great grounding for them.

Imho players my age (17) playing for a junior team is the way forward for our game. Have a look at Jamie Vardy, playing at English Con. North Division Two (or something like that) and is now the best striker in England. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

My own son was farmed out to Camelon when he was 17 from Stenhousemuir, he more than held his own and it definitely helped him progress. I firmly believe if you're good enough you're old enough, the juniors is definitely the best place for boys to learn.

In recent times I've seen young lads that have came from pro youth teams struggle in the juniors, it takes them a while to get to grips with it. In my mind the juniors gives young players a better grounding in the game than the Pro youth

Ralph i see that even at u15 level when a boy drops from pro youth in to his own age group. They don's get the competitive side of things when in pro youth so long. We beat a team a few weeks back who had 4 drop outs from pro youth and they walked off the park laughing and joking with each other! They have had the competitive edge taken out of them which is totally wrong in my opinion - life's a battle!

Archived