It's been a few years since I've been so would be hesitant to recommend a hotel.

Amazing scenery and natural phenomena to wonder at.

It was expensive but worth it. Had the coldest lager I have ever had there, the barrels were kept in an underground cavern. It is also the only place I have seen an Irn Bru fudge bar.

Girl in the hotel shop asked me if I was from Glasgow, when I affirmed she said " thought so, you sound like Taggert "

Still don't know if that was a good or a bad thing?

Went once for the Scotland game; the drink wasn't as expensive as I had expected but eating out is.

Went to the Blue Lagoon; good experience and a bit surrealistic if it's snowing at the time..

I'm off at the end of this month for 5 days. Girlfriend is a geography teacher and has been before so I've left the planning to her. So it'll probably be like a school trip with beer.

I thought every school trip had beer....

Doing the Reykjavik marathon in August so the girlfriend and I are spending a week there. Planning to do the Blue Lagoon on the day after the marathon to soothe our aching limbs, and then hire a car and go and see stuff.

Sadly, going in August means nae Northern Lights, but it was a hard enough sell getting her to go at all, since she grew up in central Europe and hates the cold.

Doing the Reykjavik marathon in August so the girlfriend and I are spending a week there. Planning to do the Blue Lagoon on the day after the marathon to soothe our aching limbs, and then hire a car and go and see stuff.

Sadly, going in August means nae Northern Lights, but it was a hard enough sell getting her to go at all, since she grew up in central Europe and hates the cold.

Best booking the blue lagoon in advance to avoid disappointment.

I actually camped in Iceland which was great, one campsite had it's own natural hotspring. I was a bit disappointed by the Blue Lagon tbh, sure great to do, but was sort of expecting better.

Ohh yeah and Icelandic burds are very.......umm liberal. Albeit I found that out in Edinburgh. :lol:

I actually camped in Iceland which was great, one campsite had it's own natural hotspring. I was a bit disappointed by the Blue Lagon tbh, sure great to do, but was sort of expecting better.

Ohh yeah and Icelandic burds are very.......umm liberal. Albeit I found that out in Edinburgh. :lol:

There's a major summer hiking route from Laugavegurinn (copy and pasted) across at least part of the island that I'd be very much interested in taking up; if it was on that route or just a similar experience then I'd be interested to hear more details about it.

Other than for the free Icelandair stopover to the US - which sadly wasn't good enough value for my current travels - I don't think I'd visit without getting out of Reykjavik for most of the time; you're not out there just to sample Scandinavian small city life, really.

• 2 months later...

Heading here in just over 3 weeks for the Secret Solstice festival. Thoroughly looking forward to it...any advice?

Aye take wads of cash and loads of johnnies

Add an empty hip flask (for customs) plus a litre of vodka.  Iceland, where the women are cheap and the bevvy is extortionate.

Finally got round to booking accommodation for August. Bit of a shock to see many places sold out, and even the cheapest Air BnB places charging over 200 Euros a night. 

Cos we've only got 4 days free, we don't have time to get round the whole island, so we're just going to head to the south of the island, where there's a big mountain, a big volcano and a big waterfall to look at. There's also a wee island just off the coast called Vestmannaeyjar which is only a few quid on a ferry. And there's a tiny island about 20 miles away from there with just one wee house on it ... would love to go there but don't think it's going to happen. 

tiny-house-fairytale-nature-landscape-ph

Archived