The Fuddies vs Falkirk

Looking up stats on the head to head between the teams and it doesn't really make good reading for us over the last 20 years or so. Falkirk have pretty much dominated us in the 90's and 00's barring a 3-4 year period in the SPL. On another note they seem to be the side we have played the most over the last couple of decades, even going back to the mid 80's.

The league record at Paisley is a bit better from our point of view. 40 wins, 25 Falkirk wins and 23 Draws. We haven't beaten Falkirk in the last 5 meetings home or away but before our last defeated we were unbeaten in 7 against them.

Most memorable game in Paisley against them has to be the 1-0 victory at Love Street in the 99/00 season when Paul McKnight scored the winner with 5 minutes to go, killed Falkirk's title hopes and strengthened ours. Utter scenes when that went in, still get goosebumps thinking about the celebrations in the Northbank that day. What made it sweeter was Falkirk hammered us all afternoon and it was daylight robbery on our part.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High flying Falkirk travel to the Methadome to face The Fuddies of Paisley. The plucky relegation battlers gave Peter Houston's side their best shot the last time the sides met in Paisley, but the Bairns' quality ensured they left with the three points.

Both teams come into the game in familiar form - Falkirk cruised past hapless Queens whilst St Mirren lost yet again.

Tough to see anything but a romp for the Navy Blue.

Ive a good mind tae skelp you round the lug for that over confident post sir !

Most memorable game in Paisley against them has to be the 1-0 victory at Love Street in the 99/00 season when Paul McKnight scored the winner with 5 minutes to go, killed Falkirk's title hopes and strengthened ours. Utter scenes when that went in, still get goosebumps thinking about the celebrations in the Northbank that day. What made it sweeter was Falkirk hammered us all afternoon and it was daylight robbery on our part.

Was that the game McAllister got raped going through on goal by an ex Morton player whose name I forget.

I've not got many happy memories from love st, the 4-4 game was a cracker and the cup game back in 1986 was my first ever away game.

Recent games at the new ground have been all draws bar the last one if my memory is working, what a game that was, my favourite of the season so far, made better my mate didn't go due to wet weather....

I can see a draw or maybe us sneaking it

Looking up stats on the head to head between the teams and it doesn't really make good reading for us over the last 20 years or so. Falkirk have pretty much dominated us in the 90's and 00's barring a 3-4 year period in the SPL. On another note they seem to be the side we have played the most over the last couple of decades, even going back to the mid 80's.

The league record at Paisley is a bit better from our point of view. 40 wins, 25 Falkirk wins and 23 Draws. We haven't beaten Falkirk in the last 5 meetings home or away but before our last defeated we were unbeaten in 7 against them.

I thought it was the big German fella you had at the time who scored. St.Mirren fans gave us it really tight after the goal that day. I won't forget it ever. Not a happy bunny at the time. You are right it was daylight robbery. We did everything but score that day. Missed chance after chance and got hit by a rabbit punch.

Have very fond memories of a working trip to Falkirk several years ago, with my now soon-to-be wife. Therefore can't bear any animosity whatsoever to the Bairns.

While we could sneak a draw here, I don't think we will. 2-0 Falkirk, and I hope you put Hibs out the playoffs, just for the LOLs.

Sorry to introduce a wee dose of food for thought into the optimism of the weans but the team you are up against is a different proposition under Rae than it was under Murray. Murray hadn't secured a home win all season. Rae now has us with 3 on the trot. The defence has improved significantly. The midfield has toughened up and competes a hell of a lot more but still lacks creativity - especially in wide areas. Up front we are still struggling to score. Recent results with us have been of the 1-0 variety and I can see that scoreline again tonight. For whom remains to be seen.

We've only lost 3 times in 26 matches this season, (to a dodgey penalty) to Hibs, and twice at Ibrox, both times conceding in the last 5 mins with the score level.

Even in the 8 games we've drawn, we were ahead in 7 of those and in most cases lost a late goal.

Wouldn't be surprised if we were to drop points here tonight though, just hope if we do then Hibs do the same.

The two matches I haven't been to this season we've won, so hopefully a good omen there.

COYB

Sorry to introduce a wee dose of food for thought into the optimism of the weans but the team you are up against is a different proposition under Rae than it was under Murray. Murray hadn't secured a home win all season. Rae now has us with 3 on the trot. The defence has improved significantly. The midfield has toughened up and competes a hell of a lot more but still lacks creativity - especially in wide areas. Up front we are still struggling to score. Recent results with us have been of the 1-0 variety and I can see that scoreline again tonight. For whom remains to be seen.

Yup, am inclined to agree with this. StM seem much improved at home & a late 0-1 at the Govan TaxDodgers suggests a tricky night in store.

Some uncomfortable cockiness on here from some Bairns, potential banana skin for me. Wd be delighted to get through unscathed and keep tight to Hibs. COYB

Was that the game McAllister got raped going through on goal by an ex Morton player whose name I forget.

I've not got many happy memories from love st, the 4-4 game was a cracker and the cup game back in 1986 was my first ever away game.

Recent games at the new ground have been all draws bar the last one if my memory is working, what a game that was, my favourite of the season so far, made better my mate didn't go due to wet weather....

I'm sure your right was a red card all day long and made even worse when we lost out to that late goal.

McAllister got booked for diving inside the first two minutes after flinging himself over Ludo Roy's legs. For a horrible moment I thought Ludo was getting sent off, meaning we'd have Yardley in goals for the rest of the game and Scrimgour in for the following week.

I thought it was the big German fella you had at the time who scored. St.Mirren fans gave us it really tight after the goal that day. I won't forget it ever. Not a happy bunny at the time. You are right it was daylight robbery. We did everything but score that day. Missed chance after chance and got hit by a rabbit punch.

Was definitely McKnight, although given robbery was involved your mistake is entirely understandable.

We've had a few decent results in Paisley since then mind you. The 5-1 game when everything we hit seemed to go in in the first half was one I fondly remember. Also the day McAllister ripped the utter pish out of David McNamee so much that he got subbed after about 20 mins. He was about greetin when he got dragged off.

We've only lost 3 times in 26 matches this season, (to a dodgey penalty) to Hibs, and twice at Ibrox, both times conceding in the last 5 mins with the score level.

Even in the 8 games we've drawn, we were ahead in 7 of those and in most cases lost a late goal.

Wouldn't be surprised if we were to drop points here tonight though, just hope if we do then Hibs do the same.

The two matches I haven't been to this season we've won, so hopefully a good omen there.

COYB

Think I'm the king this season of missing the right games.

Wasn't at Cappielow (1-1) Alloa (1-1) Ibrox (1-0) Dingwall (150-0 Peterhead at home (3-5).

The good news is I'm going tonight.

The bad news is I'm due to miss 2 games in April.

We're well aware of the fudsters' improved performances.

Fully prepared for a win, draw or defeat tonight.

It's been fun at work with my Paisley colleague this season, need to keep up bragging rights here.

Archived