Frightened Rabbit

Miguel Sanchez

Just got my copy of Pedestrian Verse on vinyl through the door today. Had spent the last year trawling through record stores and charity shops in the hope that a copy had been unwittingly discarded and was even considering stumping up the £200+ asking price on the resale market. Then the reissue was announced and got it pre-ordered for £22. Result.  

16508886716341235061584799141682.jpg

Edited by JamesP_81
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

It's been out for a few months now but Frank Turner's song 'A Wave Across A Bay' is about Scott:

My memories of those awful few days in May 2018 still feel so vivid - hard to believe four years have passed. Hope you're all doing alright.

Edited by Meathead

Seems appropriate to listen to my 'everything Scott Hutchison ever released' playlist on Spotify this week.

Also vividly remember confirmation that they'd found him four years ago today. Never ever mourned a 'celebrity' before or since, still feel a bit like I've lost a mate.

I'm off to turn the volume up.

On 10/05/2022 at 02:43, Meathead said:

It's been out for a few months now but Frank Turner's song 'A Wave Across A Bay' is about Scott:

My memories of those awful few days in May 2018 still feel so vivid - hard to believe four years have passed. Hope you're all doing alright.

So difficult to finish it, f**k 

3 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Still hurts to this day. I think Scott and Phil O'Donnell are the only people that I don't know that I've been upset about dying. 

My Backwards Walk is my favourite song by Frightened Rabbit, what about you guys?

Not sure about outright favourite but this is definitely up there. A shame it never got a 'proper' release.

4 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Still hurts to this day. I think Scott and Phil O'Donnell are the only people that I don't know that I've been upset about dying. 

My Backwards Walk is my favourite song by Frightened Rabbit, what about you guys?

I honestly don't know. I don't think I've ever really had outright favourite songs from bands. I'm pretty sure I have a thread in the Top Fives forum on this subject and it's five that are sort of above everything else, but for bands that I really like and bands that are really good there might be a certain time where I feel like listening to a song or album in particular but for the most part I'd take just about anything. 

When they did the Barras in 2016 and played Things I lost my shit because I love that song and I never thought I'd see it live, so I'll say that for now for something different. (I've been doing some reading and discovered it was Scott's favourite) Here's a video from 2017:

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

On 11/05/2022 at 15:33, Mr. Brightside said:

Living in Colour will always be my favourite. If Scott wrote a more joyous-sounding song then I'm yet to hear it. The 'by day I hope to rapidly die' line in the bridge makes me wince sometimes now, but the overall message is so uplifting that I never dwell on it.

Chris Hawkins interviewed Grant on 6 Music this afternoon as part of Mental Health Awareness Week. Starts at about 1:07:

Craig Charles - Chris Hawkins sits in and chats to Grant Hutchison - BBC Sounds

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this thread. I stopped paying attention to new music circa 2003, I was vaguely aware there was a band called Frightened Rabbit who were highly rated  but had never really listened to them.   I'm really glad I have now after  listening to songs on here and then spending hours on youtube listening to the back catalogue.  Scott Hutchison was an incredibly talented artist and lyricist and a sad loss to the human race from what I can gather . I used to think Frank Turner was a bit of a twat too but that is a beautiful tribute.

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

• 3 months later...
On 28/09/2022 at 03:44, Swordfishtrombone said:

Thank you for this thread. I stopped paying attention to new music circa 2003, I was vaguely aware there was a band called Frightened Rabbit who were highly rated  but had never really listened to them.   I'm really glad I have now after  listening to songs on here and then spending hours on youtube listening to the back catalogue.  Scott Hutchison was an incredibly talented artist and lyricist and a sad loss to the human race from what I can gather . I used to think Frank Turner was a bit of a twat too but that is a beautiful tribute.

Pretty much the same here except the Frank Turner bit. MY friend got me listening to him before I'd listened to Freighted Rabbit, was at a concert when Frank Turner covered Heads Roll Off and mentioned he'd always cover a Freighted Rabbit song in Scotland that was the first I knew they were friends. This for me is ridiculously good