Vice article - The criminalisation of Scottish football fans

They've utterly fabricated the issue. There simply isn't a problem at football anywhere near the level they are making out. From the article;

Somewhat unjustly, this debate keeps the conduct of supporters in Scotland in the spotlight. To provide some perspective, 54 arrests were made at last year's T In the Park festival, which welcomed 85,000 music fans during a three-day event. In contrast, just 238 arrests were made over the course of the entire 2014/15 Scottish Premiership season, which saw over 1.7 million fans pass through the turnstiles.

I've watched and attended Scottish football for 29 years now.

Every arrest I've seen has been petty as f**k.

It's usually some teenager who won't sit down or sets off a smoke bomb.

Also seen 1 get lifted for getting too excited after a last minute winner.

Is this the scary hardcore incidents we want to avoid in the future?

I sometimes think its an absolute miracle that Scottish Football exists in any capacity, given how uniformly thick the people running it seem to be.

Thick, inept and overpaid.

Regan and Doncaster are each on a half bar per annum.

I could do both jobs together for a quarter bar and f**k up just as much thus saving £750k per annum and maintaining the same level of adequacy.

Where do I apply?

It's usually some teenager who won't sit down or sets off a smoke bomb.

Also seen 1 get lifted for getting too excited after a last minute winner.

Is this the scary hardcore incidents we want to avoid in the future?

25+ years for me now, and my experience is the same. I don't even think pitch invaders should be arrested (they should just be chucked out and given a very lengthy ban). I was once chucked out of Tynecastle by the police for 'persistent standing'. They took my name and did a wee search but since I'm a good lad just told me to be on my way. Took 4 of them to do this mind. Also got refused to East End once for daring to sing on the way to the game. 4 police chased me (I pretended not to hear them as I was walking away) then surrounded me and did the same name check nonsense.

25+ years for me now, and my experience is the same.

45+ years here and the worst violence I've ever seen involved running battles at a match between Stirling Albion and East Fife. Blood was drawn.

Ibrox and Hampden, even in the late 60s, seemed tame in comparison.

I once saw a Killie fan arrested for having a go at the long jump at Meadowbank stadium at half time. It's scum like that we need to keep an eye out for.

(incidentally, I think he set a long jump record for pished guys wearing jeans).

I once saw a Killie fan arrested for having a go at the long jump at Meadowbank stadium at half time. It's scum like that we need to keep an eye out for.

(incidentally, I think he set a long jump record for pished guys wearing jeans).

Fair play to the boy and much better than the old Scottish sport of 'jump the dyke' which involved neither jumping nor walls.

25+ years for me now, and my experience is the same. I don't even think pitch invaders should be arrested (they should just be chucked out and given a very lengthy ban). I was once chucked out of Tynecastle by the police for 'persistent standing'. They took my name and did a wee search but since I'm a good lad just told me to be on my way. Took 4 of them to do this mind. Also got refused to East End once for daring to sing on the way to the game. 4 police chased me (I pretended not to hear them as I was walking away) then surrounded me and did the same name check nonsense.

Thug life.

Someone get this geezer a pair of 'deal with it' shades.

The number of arrests at football games is totally misleading considering the bigot brothers are treated differently to everyone else. They have their own stewards enforcing their own standards wherever they go which is basically let them do what they want. The police stand bye and do f**k all about their sectarianism and trouble caused as they are basically too scared to do anything too. There could be thousands of arrests every single week but it's simply ignored. Scotland's shame indeed.

The number of arrests at football games is totally misleading considering the bigot brothers are treated differently to everyone else. They have their own stewards enforcing their own standards wherever they go which is basically let them do what they want. The police stand bye and do f**k all about their sectarianism and trouble caused as they are basically too scared to do anything too. There could be thousands of arrests every single week but it's simply ignored. Scotland's shame indeed.

Doesn't really explain why Alloa need facial recognition---at other people's expense, too---though, does it?

Mike Mulraney seems to be at the forefront of every terrible idea that comes out of Scottish Football.

Is he a small person? He sounds like someone with little man's complex.

Doesn't really explain why Alloa need facial recognition---at other people's expense, too---though, does it?

It wasn't meant to so well done you for picking up on that.

So the SPFL went looking for £4million off the Government for the facial recognition, rightly got rejected.

I wish they'd go and look for £4million to go towards improving football facilities around the country for kids. At least that would mean the money would actually be used for football and not some ridiculous campaign against a few idiots who, as well as casuing a bit of a scene at the fitba, likely cause as much or more of a scene at other events they may attend.......

So the SPFL went looking for £4million off the Government for the facial recognition, rightly got rejected.

I wish they'd go and look for £4million to go towards improving football facilities around the country for kids. At least that would mean the money would actually be used for football and not some ridiculous campaign against a few idiots who, as well as casuing a bit of a scene at the fitba, likely cause as much or more of a scene at other events they may attend.......

Why did they ever think the government would have given them this money? Just another example of the staggering ineptitude of the morons running our game.

I still don't get what's driving this whole nonsense. We've had plenty of games without any police presence. If this was such a big issue, surely it would be up to the police to deal with folk causing trouble. But of course there isn't actually any issue.

Archived