Worst foreign player to have played in the Scottish Top Flight

Prodan was a decent player but Rangers (2012) signed him without checking medicals etc for a player that turned out to have a busted knee. It was a notorious case where desperation to sign "big names" swamped proper assessment as they pissed millions against the wall. Whatever happened to them?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prodan was a decent player but Rangers (2012) signed him without checking medicals etc for a player that turned out to have a busted knee. It was a notorious case where desperation to sign "big names" swamped proper assessment as they pissed millions against the wall. Whatever happened to them?

Did he not score a fucker of a free kick to knock Rangers out the champions league prior to joining? He was also very good for a good Romania side.

If being born in North London counts as foreign, then I'll add Jerel Ifil's name to the mix. Just looked him up on wiki and he played 44 games for Aberdeen. Everyone an adventure into the unknown.

One of his distinctive traits was that he looked absolutely terrified of the ball, particularly when it was still in contact with the grass!

No-one was safe. No matter where you sat in the ground, Jerel might just blooter you with one of his passes.

He was nicknamed 'beast' and he was absolutely brutal to watch.

Yours

aDONis

Ah...you're right of course, it was.

Pretty sure Rozenthal was injured in a cup game at Ibrox when Saints were wearing the teal and magenta strip. Think we lost 3-0 or 3-1.

Saints have had a few awful foreigners down the years, but most were when we were in the First Division days I think - Peter Fyhr etc. Algerian one cap wonder Rachid Djebaili was crap, with special mentions for Adam Morgan and Mark Connelly's horrific 45-minute cameos at Hamilton.

Did he not score a fucker of a free kick to knock Rangers out the champions league prior to joining? He was also very good for a good Romania side.

It was a twenty yard volley from a corner, as I recall. Absolute stunner. If Prodan had ever kicked a ball for Rangers, he'd have been a star. Great defender.

Bert konterman was absolutely magical. Way back in the old days Scottish fitba was on sky and I would watch it wae the weans. Watching one time and the bold Bert gets let on. Yesss says me, as the weans ask why I like a guy that's not a Jag. Wait, I say, this man is a genius. After about a minute the ball is rolled to him in the centre circle and he somehow manages to put it out for a throw,somewhere behind him. About two minutes later he receives a pass and miss controls it so badly that he kicks one of the other team in the stomach. Brilliant, we talked aboot it for years.

We could put a team of foreign duds out. In no particular order:

Kelvin Jack

Vince Mennie (does being half-German count?)

Alan Campbell

Alessandro Romano

Davide Grassi

Fan Zhiyi

Walter del Rio

Mark Robertson

Alexandre Cerdeira

Eric Garcin

Stephane Pounewatchy

Sebastien Kneissl

Joel Kitamarike

Massimo Beghetto

Marcello Marrocco

Marco Rocatti

Frank van Eijs

Glenn Atle Larssen

Roberto Matute

Gerardo Traverso

I'll not hear a bad word about Walter del Rio!

TBF he was a bombscare.

Has noone mentioned Du Wei?

Admittedly, he didn't play in the league but I think we all enjoy the chance for a chuckle at Celtic...

I could be wrong but I think he did feature in the league against St.Mirren. 4-0 to St. Mirren and Celtic were managerless a day later.

Archived