when will the weather fiasco end

Jboyle

The cost of refurbishment- and even installation with the correct loan/grants inc payments deferred- could essentially be recouped by hiring out the pitch at other times of the week. The pitches would be playable almost every night and there are never a shortage of teams looking to train on the newest and best 4g surfaces. The costs attached to grass surfaces ( cutting, seeding, lining) and also in terms of man hours would greatly reduce too.

It does attract more interest. Our pitch has not been down long and we've already had SPFL Development games played on it, Queen of the South trained on it last Sunday, and an SPFL club want it use it three times a week during the day for training and possibly for Development League games.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone agrees that a good grass park is always preferable to anything. If a good grass park isn't possible, then a good synthetic one is definitely better than a shite grass surface.

Put a vote up and see where the vote goes. Grass or 4g. Simple vote. Whichever one wins then let that be end of the ever going pnb juniors cycle that is should we play 4g.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. If anything, the growth of mixed parks will probably end up filtering down eventually given that even the likes of Barcelona play on a crossover of natural and synthetic.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. If anything, the growth of mixed parks will probably end up filtering down eventually given that even the likes of Barcelona play on a crossover of natural and synthetic.

mate am meaning to stop the constant post about it on here. It's near every week. Debating it over and over.

I wonder where junior clubs who spend a lot getting these monstrosities installed will find the cash to get a new surface a few years down the line when it needs replaced.

Your claim of our climate getting wetter is pie in the Sky and leads me to believe that you are a hippy and smoking the GRASS.

The wettest decade was in 1870 and there has been no significant change since.

???? loads off game off that year to????

Why? Because you are typing absolute nonsense?

Do some research.

I have, so I'd stop digging if I were you;

“The Scottish Government helps to fund world leading climate projection research, showing how the climate will change in the future under different levels of greenhouse gas emissions. The UK Climate Projections were launched on June 18, 2009. These projections show the changes that can be expected during the rest of this century. Broadly, Scotland will get warmer, wetter winters and hotter, drier summers. You can find more detailed information on projected temperature, precipitation and sea level rise at the UK Climate Projections website. As the climate changes, Scotland will see more extreme weather events. There will be more extended hot periods; major increases in maximum temperatures nationwide, and fewer days of snow and frost. There will be longer periods of dry weather in the summer and the wettest days of the year are likely to be considerably wetter than at present.”

That is where we are headed weather wise. The top grass pitches will be able to handle this but the vast majority will eventually need some fairly major work on them to aid drainage. Even then as we found out when we moved to the new ground over 18 month ago, it doesn’t matter how good the drainage is, if the soil is bad (eg high clay density) the pitch will waterlog in heavy downpours and the grass won’t recover from even light usage.

How clubs tackle this is open to question, investment in drainage work or investment in artificial, but it’s going to require money whichever way you look at it. Either that, or given summers are expected to be drier, more football in summer and less in winter.

3G/4G parks are tremendous to play on, played on blackburns park the week before it was getting relaid and how anyone can say they would rather play on anything like that other than artificial is beyond me. And a lot of parks are just as bad.

It's night and day, and that was a new grass park as well! the problem was the soil they put down when laying it was crap and clogged the new drainage.

I'll go with the advice of experts on the subject matter, and the evidence in front of our own eyes every week that correlate with what I posted above from the Scottish Govt website, less games are getting called off with frost or snow over winter, more games are suffering due wetter weather and the resulting high water tables which makes it more difficult for pitches to dry out.

I also prefer games on good grass pitches, sadly, those are becoming fewer and far between. Artificial surfaces is the way forward.

I'll go with the advice of experts on the subject matter, and the evidence in front of our own eyes every week that correlate with what I posted above from the Scottish Govt website, less games are getting called off with frost or snow over winter, more games are suffering due wetter weather and the resulting high water tables which makes it more difficult for pitches to dry out.

I also prefer games on good grass pitches, sadly, those are becoming fewer and far between. Artificial surfaces is the way forward.

can't believe you advocate artificial but prefer good grass. Surely we should work towards better drainage better upkeep of the grass to keep our love for that grass pitch we all wanna see football played on.

The actual findings of the experts are that temperatures have risen and rainfall decreased since 1914....

We could be here all day arguing the toss over this, climate change is an emotive subject, but the fact is we're seeing the balance between games being frozen off and rained off change towards the latter. More endless days of wet weather than endless days of freezing temps, that suggests to me we're experiencing a wetter climate in winter.

I think this week is the first week of winter where I have woken up to frost every morning, and we're nearly into March. Artificial surfaces are just as prone to hard frost as grass, but can cope perfectly well in downpours.

can't believe you advocate artificial but prefer good grass. Surely we should work towards better drainage better upkeep of the grass to keep our love for that grass pitch we all wanna see football played on.

Why? nothing beats a well maintained grass surface that's flat and doesn't cut up, like Talbot and Rose, I'm sure everyone will say the same regardless of opinions of 3G.

However that said, it's very difficult to train and play 3 or 4 games a week on it and keep it at that standard, that's why 3G will always be the preferred options for certain clubs who have multi team set-ups.

The weather always changes. Natural change. Variance through the decades. The fact is though that the weather is not getting wetter.

Summers are hotter and rainfall decreased. These are the facts wither you like it or not.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the merits of plastic.

As I said, I'm happy to go with the forecast of UK Climate Projections detailed on the Scot Gov website, together with the evidence we see ourselves with postponed games in recent years. Warmer and wetter winters to come.

Summer becoming drier has no bearing on this, apart from the fact that drier summers creates its own problems with grass pitches.

Anyway, let's move on.

More than a few i hope,b dissappointed if there many off

Looking at the forecasts, quite cold tonight and early morning, but warming up with plenty sunshine late morning and all afternoon. Should be a full card. Hopefully.

Archived