Reserve League or Development League?

Did Warbz' comments about how the development league wasn't good enough for his wee darlings come before or after Thistle pumped them 3-0?

There seems to be no point in a reserve league, with it either being a sideways step or a backwards one depending on your viewpoint/level of pessimism. I'm guessing a reserve league would have no limits on the age of players, whereas the U20s can have up to 5 "seniors", right? In most team's cases, it would just be the U20 team taking part, so what's really the point? Seems most people calling for it are those that grew up when reserve football meant you would be playing against stars. Fair enough, they're drawing from their own experiences, but it wouldn't be that now.

On the top point, I was thinking along the lines that a merged division now might not be as easy a time of it. If fourth round LTHV are the competition (granted they are fifth with quite a few games in hand), I'd be curious to see how it plays out. Obviously this wouldn't be until next season when we've seen if the EOS remains a worthy feeder to the LL, and we've replenished our youth reserves. It's more of an experimental try, the same way Hibs where looking for when they brought one in definitely, but hopeful of it being at a better time with higher competition and not just the second tier they played in.

Possibly. That said you can't go much beyond the current 15 clubs before having to re-expanded to 2 divisions again!!

Obviously you've got stronger teams - Leith, LTHV, Tynecastle and Civil Service Strollers - but the rest are the same as before or similar.

Didn't Berwick drop theirs to cut their costs? And Hibs withdrew theirs immediately after relegation to cut theirs? Isn't there a reserve league for the top non-u20 teams anyway?

Berwick Rangers EOS spent one season playing in both EOSL and SPFL East Development League (or was it still called reserves? EDIT: Yes, was called "Reserve League"), then concentrated on the latter.

Too many matches between both commitments, although program has since changed. There are East & West DLs, correct:

http://spfl.co.uk/development-league/east/

http://spfl.co.uk/development-league/west/

Hibs maintained in their press statements it wasn't due to cost-cutting, although who knows.

Maybe, but would you keep it at u17s below or insert a u16 & u18s league in below? Facilitating two reserve/youth squads is surely more appealing than trying to facilitate three for most teams in Scotland?

SPL Reserve League was abolished because there were only 5 or 6 clubs prepared to finance separate reserve squads.

Since then U19s has become U20s Development League with over-agers allowed.

I just don't see there being enough clubs to do both. It would surely have to be U20s with over-agers or Reserves with an U20s quota, or similar.

Another valid question is - how many times since 1998 has the system been changed? We never seem to stick with something.

Sitting here I genuinely can't remember how many times the combinations of U21s / U19s / U17s / Reserves / U20s / DLs / etc. has been changed.

• 9 months later...

Archived