Switching from Sky&BT to Virgin

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with virgin and the content pisses all over Sky. Have all the channels and another box for £67 a month. The only thing i dislike is the TiVo interface (much prefer sky) but i can live with it. 200mb internet speed is fucking ace as well.

In what way? What content does Virgin have that Sky doesnt?

Was with Virgin, had TIVO and two boxes. Could record three channels at once and watch a fourth. Then I moved to a newer house where there is no Virgin services and had to go for Sky or BT. Went with Sky as it was the better of the two inferior services. Virgin pisses all over Sky & BT. Totally miss it.

Sky Q can record 4 channels and watch a 5th and the new "multi-room" boxes connect wirelessly, so no cables

Im starting to sound like an ad for Sky, so I'll stop  :lol:

Only "obviously" if you can actually get it :/

The European games aren't free though. Personally, I'd rather pay sky and watch EPL games at decent times than pay BT for European games I couldn't care less about.

Yes they are. If you have Broadband and phoneline with BT then all Bt Sport is free provided you can get over 6mbs.

BT are also gaining the Saturday 6pm slot from next season for the EPL. There's no value for Sky Sports in comparison to BT in my opinion unless you've got a completely shite speed (Which I admittedly have hence why I'm with Virgin).

Away to get myself the BT bundle. Better value for money, like Ludo says the Sports, the only things I really watch live, are free and the broadband speed of 52 MB should be superb by myself. £38 a month including line rental. Everything else is on the Kodi.

Yes they are. If you have Broadband and phoneline with BT then all Bt Sport is free provided you can get over 6mbs.

BT are also gaining the Saturday 6pm slot from next season for the EPL. There's no value for Sky Sports in comparison to BT in my opinion unless you've got a completely shite speed (Which I admittedly have hence why I'm with Virgin).

Sorry, I was thinking of the old offer they did to hook broadband customers.

Its free on BT TV but in SD? No thanks. Its £16 for the HD channels which, frankly, is ridiculous. Who charges extra for HD these days?

BT TV is only a slight upgrade on freeview.

Saturday lunchtime and tea time slots are of little use to anyone who regularly attends actual games at 3pm on a Saturday.

Its free on BT TV but in SD? No thanks. Its £16 for the HD channels which, frankly, is ridiculous. Who charges extra for HD these days?

Saturday lunchtime and tea time slots are of little use to anyone who regularly attends actual games at 3pm on a Saturday.

3 free months with the HD then a 5er a month after.

And I attended over 30 games at 3pm on a Saturday home and away and the lunchtime and tea time slots were fine on the whole. BT for me is much much better for the football, don't care too much for the EPL but like the odd game, I like the European games and most importantly the Scottish ones where I'll watch every one I'm able too. Sky sports only interests me for the NFL which I'll get off my parents sky go anyway thankfully. Also get the college games on BT/ESPN.

Eta: your mad for the Kodi. You really bothered about what channels you get to watch TV and movies?

Again, no it's not. HD is free for the first free months and a fiver there after. I'm not majorly into HD tbh but if you were that's roughly about the same as Sky.

Also, yes, if you get the starter package you're correct but the TV packages they do now a days are actually quite decent.

I disagree, Saturday 6pm slot is perfect for a lot of people just after they've been to the football. It's not for everyone but no slot is.

3 free months with the HD then a 5er a month after.

And I attended over 30 games at 3pm on a Saturday home and away and the lunchtime and tea time slots were fine on the whole. BT for me is much much better for the football, don't care too much for the EPL but like the odd game, I like the European games and most importantly the Scottish ones where I'll watch every one I'm able too. Sky sports only interests me for the NFL which I'll get off my parents sky go anyway thankfully. Also get the college games on BT/ESPN.

Eta: your mad for the Kodi. You really bothered about what channels you get to watch TV and movies?

For home games, I have to leave to get my Dad before any lunchtime game finished, although I would then be back for a teatime one. If its an away game, Ive no chance of seeing either

Kodi is ok, but as Ive said on that thread I wouldnt trust it to replace Sky. There are too many things I watch that I'd be pissed off about not seeing and Im too fussy about picture quality too  :lol:

Again, no it's not. HD is free for the first free months and a fiver there after. I'm not majorly into HD tbh but if you were that's roughly about the same as Sky.

Also, yes, if you get the starter package you're correct but the TV packages they do now a days are actually quite decent.

I disagree, Saturday 6pm slot is perfect for a lot of people just after they've been to the football. It's not for everyone but no slot is.

According to the BT website, the Total package, which is the one I looked at the channel list for, is £16 a month and thats the only one which has HD.

Where are you seeing the free offer and £5 a month after. I might actually be tempted by that, just for BT Sports. Its less than Id have to pay Sky to add it

Just wondered if anyone on P&B has done this. Had Virgin knock on the front door and phone up recently and they seem to be offering quite a decent deal.

Nothing wrong with what services we're getting from Sky (approx £73 pm) and BT (phone, BT vision, Infinity.....approx £70 pm)

Explained to the bloke on the phone that we were tied to BT until August because we had to agree to a new 12 month contract to get our 'free' BT sport, but he told us it was no problem as Virgin would pay any charges billed to us by BT for leaving before August.

Sky TV can gtf with a months notice, so no problem there, It's just we could go to getting all our TV, phone and Broadband from Virgin for approx £100 pm (£60 for the first 6 months) which would be a decent saving.

If anyone has had any good or bad experiences regarding switching, or any monster connection or installation/hidden costs, I'd be grateful for any pointers.

Why are you paying so much with either? Im with BT, unlimited fibre, all the tv channels and my phone and im paying £36 a month

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but what's the cheapest way of getting decent broadband and the Sky Sports and BT Sport channels? Going with the same provider for all or mixing and matching between them?

Had a look earlier but started losing the will to live TBH.

BT's fibre is faster. I'd recommend them for Broadband. Take the free TV box and you'll get BT Sport. You can only get Sky Sports 1 and 2 on BT which is a bit shite. However, if you take Sky Broadband then Bt Sport is £21.99 a month with a £30 activation so BT is definitely the way to go in that regard. Go for Sky TV and have BT's free youview box is probably your best bet if you don't mind having two boxes. Sky's TV deals are rip offs tbh therefore, the best alternative to them both is probably Virgin.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but what's the cheapest way of getting decent broadband and the Sky Sports and BT Sport channels? Going with the same provider for all or mixing and matching between them?

Had a look earlier but started losing the will to live TBH.

As ludo says, BT fibre is very good. Kids never complain about their gaming being laggy or losing connection. Lots of people I work with are constantly moaning about virgin (and more so sky) for their broadband being shite.

I've now sacked sky sports/movies, but still have a BT vision box up in the bedroom alongside a kodi box which I am going to look into adding sport mania to for £15 every 3 months. Win/Win for me as I don't have to ask the wife and kids If I can watch something on Sky Sports.

Virgin is by far and away the most reliable broadband in my experience anyway. 

They've also just rolled out capped broadband packages which if you take the basic TV and phone works out at not much more the £30 per month. It's perfect for anyone who wants fast and reliable broadband but only uses it for surfing the net and watching the occasional film which is what my folks do. 

• 1 month later...

BT are trying to get me tied down to a 24 month contract for broadband which is think is a bit long incase of any price increases (£10 broadband which is half of what its costing now £20 line rental).  Been looking at Sky or Virgin broadband in its place.  I have SKY TV package but i'm just about to strip that right back as the monthly cost is going through the roof basically going to keep basic package to keep the boy happen but i'll be seeking alternative for sports and movies

Has anyone got skybroadband how is it??? these seem to be the cheapest deals on the go as of now.  

And if a read above and i've seen it's shite lol

54 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

BT are trying to get me tied down to a 24 month contract for broadband which is think is a bit long incase of any price increases (£10 broadband which is half of what its costing now £20 line rental).  Been looking at Sky or Virgin broadband in its place.  I have SKY TV package but i'm just about to strip that right back as the monthly cost is going through the roof basically going to keep basic package to keep the boy happen but i'll be seeking alternative for sports and movies

Has anyone got skybroadband how is it??? these seem to be the cheapest deals on the go as of now.  

I was certain I had seen a poster for free broadband or fibre with Sky if you are a Sky Sports customer. Might be worth having a hunt for that offer?

EDIT: Quite a few caveats and there is a 25 GB limit which will probably mean this isn't of interest:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/07/sky-uk-offers-fttc-fibre-broadband-free-forever-sky-sports-tv.html

8 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

If they put the price up, which on a 24 month contract they will at least twice, you have a get out clause.

If Bt or any other provider increase your price during a contract you're allowed to cancel. Obviously they don't shout this from the rooftops but aye.

33 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Thanks all nothing is ever easy i may just stay put and try get the line rental down slightly.  everyone else deals seem to sit at 9/12 months 

I just renewed my BT infinity contract. It was only 12 months and cheaper than Sky fibre

Also worth haggling with Sky / BT as well. Martin Lewis has some info on haggling which might help. I need to get on this as my recent special offer with Sky just expired (I was getting free broadband and half price HD package for 12 months)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/negotiate-with-service-providers

• 1 month later...

I went from sky to virgin in April and regretted it the day it was installed. No end of problems with the phone. Internet has no range I mean it loses signal by the back door. I cannot get on with the heap of shite tivo box either it's slower than a week in jail and possessed by a witch.

So when they put up the price in an email I rang them up and got to leave without penalty 6 months into an 18 month deal. I was fucking delighted and have just gone back to sky where I'm getting an £80 a month tv deal with sports and movies on demand etc for £32 a month and phone and unlimited Internet for £23.

So if you have virgin ring them up and you can leave without fees. Thank you ofcom.

Archived