County v United

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be few games as difficult as the Hamilton one just past, but I'm not expecting an easy win here in the slightest.

One cause for hope for United is that all three of County's first team full-backs are injured or suspended (to return for the Killie game a week tomorrow and the cup tie vs United a week later).

So County will either go with players out of position in the full-back areas, play one or two of the u20s, or go to three at the back and play 3-5-2, with Gardyne and Murdoch/Franks on the flanks.

I'm not against the latter option on paper. There would be three pretty good centre-backs accommodated, the wingers in a 4-4-2 are expected to track all the way back anyway so it might not affect their game too much, and it suits McIntyre's preference to pick all of McShane, Woods and Irvine in central midfield. In a sense, County have the personnel to play it, without a left-footed wing-back

However, in reality County are probably better with just a couple of players out of position than a completely unfamiliar system for one game. I'd go with a centre-back (Boyd, Robertson) at right-back and young McLaughlin at left-back, but it could be anyone.

County have plenty goals in them, but how many will they concede?

Must win for us in order to continue the false hope of survival, must win for them in order to both keep out of the playoff battle and keep in the European hunt.

0-0 it is. All goals and excitement to be saved for the relatively meaningless cup tie.

We don't do draws at home anymore it seems.

Utterly irrelevant if you have 3 or 30 fullbacks out injured, we have no wide players capable of taking advantage.

Hope Demel is ok, didn't put a foot wrong in the half hour Arabzone Hearts highlights. Same lineup that started, please.

A point would be an 'acceptable' return from a game I otherwise expect us to lose by two goals.

Archived