1970 League Tables

Footballfirst

Where did the clackmannan team play there games from? I live there just now and had no idea there was ever a junior side.

In the public park at the top of the hill. Tulliallan played in the middle of the playground of Kincardine's primary school. Fife juniors had fairly lax requirements on having an enclosed ground. Both Clackmannan and Tulliallan were basically colliery teams even if they didn't take the name of the colliery where deductions were made from pay packets to sponsor them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drumchapel Amateurs took over Duntocher's ground in the sixties. So that they could give a game to their players who were too old for underage football they entered a team in the juniors as Duntocher Hibs in the seventies. Clydebank played there for a while when they went back to the Juniors.

Drumchapel Amateurs took over Duntocher's ground in the sixties. So that they could give a game to their players who were too old for underage football they entered a team in the juniors as Duntocher Hibs in the seventies. Clydebank played there for a while when they went back to the Juniors.

I was at that ground when the late Douglas Smith* was nearing the end of his time at the club,though the last Drum home game I watched was played on the Donald Dewar astro.

*Quite a guy.... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2564007/Remembering-roots-Ferguson-returns-club-unveil-portrait-Drumchapel-founder.html

Coltness stopped playing in 1966 in the old Lanarkshire League. They started up again in 1973/74 season in the Central League. They later changed their name to Newmains which is the town where they always played.

I take it they were named after the Coltness Iron Works originally.

• 2 months later...

Dreghorn Juniors did fold that season.

Dreghorn Amateurs were a different club which had been in existence for many years before. They played at the playing fields just north and up the hill from Fordside park. This is now the site of the new Dreghorn Primary School. Their colours were black and white.

Archived