Canada

Ad Lib

On 03/03/2023 at 19:38, Stu said:

...Finally thinking of having our proper honeymoon (two years late) and going to Canada. Five nights in Montreal and five nights in Quebec City looks like it might be an option - anyone any thoughts? Is the drive between the two particularly exciting/scenic?

Only advice about Quebec would be that if you try to speak some French whenever spoken to in French you'll be treated much better by the locals.

On 05/03/2023 at 16:09, Stu said:

Despite her previously having said she fancies going to both of them, my wife has now decided it's actually a driving holiday around Nova Scotia she'd prefer. You'd think I'd be used to this after nearly two years of marriage...

Nova Scotia is lovely.  Halifax is really nice but small, realistically you only need maybe 2 days to see everything there but there are some great coastal drives.  Lunenburg is really pretty, as are some of the towns in the Annapolis valley on the north side and of course you need to go up to Cape Breton to do the cabot trail.

In terms of your previous question about the drive from Montreal to Quebec City, the main route is just an autoroute through some fields, nothing special but the long way on the north side of the St. Lawrence is better, but nothing all that special

5 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Does anyone have any suggestions what is worth doing Chenin Toronto.  We have 2 days there in June then head for Niagara Falls.

2 Days in Toronto in June?  There are likely some festivals going on and there is plenty to eat.  The CN tower may be cliché but it's worth doing once in your lifetime, especially if it's a clear day.  I'm a big fan of walking around Toronto's Chinatown and Kensington Market (which are next to one another), there are always cool sights and tons of interesting places to get a bite to eat or a drink. 

5 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Does anyone have any suggestions what is worth doing Chenin Toronto.  We have 2 days there in June then head for Niagara Falls.

If the weather's decent I thought taking the ferry over to the nearby islands gave some decent sights, nothing too exciting over there but if the suns out its a pretty pleasant place to explore.

Some decent bars along the main waterfront. We took in a Blue jays game as well, more to see the Rogers Centre than anything.

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Nova Scotia is lovely.  Halifax is really nice but small, realistically you only need maybe 2 days to see everything there but there are some great coastal drives.  Lunenburg is really pretty, as are some of the towns in the Annapolis valley on the north side and of course you need to go up to Cape Breton to do the cabot trail.

In terms of your previous question about the drive from Montreal to Quebec City, the main route is just an autoroute through some fields, nothing special but the long way on the north side of the St. Lawrence is better, but nothing all that special

Thanks for the advice - we're hopefully going to book Nova Scotia for September (as if we'd gone in May as planned a lot of places we wanted to go to would have been shut)/

Halifax, Lunenburg, Annapolis Royal, Wolfville, Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton is the plan. Lot to fit into 10 days but should be fun.

Halifax018.thumb.JPG.51e6a8af4d7636e3432b988b3eb56dd5.JPG

22 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks for the advice - we're hopefully going to book Nova Scotia for September (as if we'd gone in May as planned a lot of places we wanted to go to would have been shut)/

Halifax, Lunenburg, Annapolis Royal, Wolfville, Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton is the plan. Lot to fit into 10 days but should be fun.

When you are in Halifax take the opportunity to drive down to Peggy's Cove really stunning place.Halifax045.thumb.JPG.9b71e0be6621ee454d3e280f966ebbd8.JPG

7 hours ago, Elric said:

Halifax018.thumb.JPG.51e6a8af4d7636e3432b988b3eb56dd5.JPG

When you are in Halifax take the opportunity to drive down to Peggy's Cove really stunning place.Halifax045.thumb.JPG.9b71e0be6621ee454d3e280f966ebbd8.JPG

Looks amazing. We'll be driving from Halifax to Lunenburg so imagine we'll be going via there.

On your way to Lunenburg from Halifax I would suggest taking the more scenic route along the coast instead of the highway.  There is also a really nice pub right on the water in Mahone Bay that I would suggest if the weather is nice.  

On 10/03/2023 at 03:08, senorsoupe said:

2 Days in Toronto in June?  There are likely some festivals going on and there is plenty to eat.  The CN tower may be cliché but it's worth doing once in your lifetime, especially if it's a clear day.  I'm a big fan of walking around Toronto's Chinatown and Kensington Market (which are next to one another), there are always cool sights and tons of interesting places to get a bite to eat or a drink. 

On 10/03/2023 at 03:51, Rodhull said:

If the weather's decent I thought taking the ferry over to the nearby islands gave some decent sights, nothing too exciting over there but if the suns out its a pretty pleasant place to explore.

Some decent bars along the main waterfront. We took in a Blue jays game as well, more to see the Rogers Centre than anything.

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

We've already booked for a Blue Jays game the first full day there, which I'm looking forward to against the SF Giants. 

3 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

We've already booked for a Blue Jays game the first full day there, which I'm looking forward to against the SF Giants. 

Nice!

If you are looking for a pre or (and?) post-game beer then I recommend the Steam Whistle Brewery, which is a short walk away

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to Toronto for 4 days then NYC for 4 days in October. Lots of stuff already on the list but does anyone here know the likelihood of getting to see some decent sports about that time of year?

I don't really fancy the basketball and would ideally go see Baseball or American Football but could of course compromise if nothing was on for them. 

27 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I'm going to Toronto for 4 days then NYC for 4 days in October. Lots of stuff already on the list but does anyone here know the likelihood of getting to see some decent sports about that time of year?

I don't really fancy the basketball and would ideally go see Baseball or American Football but could of course compromise if nothing was on for them. 

What part of October?  Early in the month you have a chance of seeing some baseball but later in the month is already into hockey season.  American (or Canadian) football is still going at that time so you should be good for that and if the Argos have a home game when you are there, tickets are easy to get

11 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

What part of October?  Early in the month you have a chance of seeing some baseball but later in the month is already into hockey season.  American (or Canadian) football is still going at that time so you should be good for that and if the Argos have a home game when you are there, tickets are easy to get

Cheers for the info. I'm going the first week of the month so should hopefully be able to catch something. 

Really looking forward to it, only going to be there for 4 days but already from reading this thread and watching some stuff on the telly and YouTube I'd love go visit some other places in Canada. Glorious country. 

The Blue Jays last home game of the regular season is October 1 so you may need to reply on them (or the Yankees or Mets in NY) getting into the playoffs

Hockey would still be pre-season (friendlies) but it would likely be cheaper and easier to get tickets to the Leafs.  Their regular season started Oct 12 this year 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A lot closer to my trip now so just wondering if I'm missing anything obvious out. In Toronto for 4 days and so far on my list of things to do I've got CNN Tower, The islands, Hockey hall of fame, check out the markets (saw Anthony Bourdain trying out some peameal bacon I'd like to try) day trip to Niagra falls and checking out the by the lake town people have recommended, also just try some poutaine and enjoy some drinks and maybe a nice meal. 

First time going and open to all suggestions.

10 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

A lot closer to my trip now so just wondering if I'm missing anything obvious out. In Toronto for 4 days and so far on my list of things to do I've got CNN Tower, The islands, Hockey hall of fame, check out the markets (saw Anthony Bourdain trying out some peameal bacon I'd like to try) day trip to Niagra falls and checking out the by the lake town people have recommended, also just try some poutaine and enjoy some drinks and maybe a nice meal. 

First time going and open to all suggestions.

Make sure you pronounce poutaine right.

slap-bitch-slap.gif