west super premier league

meadow30

Agreed! And looking beyond the motives of the "bigger clubs" who are seeing this as a good way, in part, of ensuring that they don`t face the year on year threat of being involved in a potential relegation scrap ( the sure fire way to avoid it is to win more games!!) What it sounds like is the bigger clubs want a mid-table safety net that they can rely on instead of being faced with the real prospect of dropping down a division.The off-handed manner in which the lower divisions are dealt with smacks of a lack of consideration and a huge dose of self preservation. Why would the clubs at the lower levels of the game who operate under the most restrictive financial constraints vote for something that could potentially put even more pressure on their shoestring existence?

If you consider change then it`s got to benefit all the clubs across the board.

Troon...it can be done.

Kilbirnie spent 2 seasons in district, fought their way back.

You just never know in fitba..Muirkirk might attract massive investment and climb the leagues, win the Scottish... Hurlford did.

Fitba is about progress... If clubs wanting an expanded top league are guilty of self preservation what about clubs happy with smaller leagues because they might then get promotion and the Ardagh that gives them guaranteed games against Talbot or Medda.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your bored enough and look through my posts when we were winning the Super Premier League and finishing 2nd a couple of seasons back I was saying should be 16 team top League. 22 games is not enough to decide League champions and relegation in my opinion.

So what about the clubs which struggle to survive? Lugar, muirkirk, craigmark, royal Albert etc? If we cut the sectional cups and shorten the size of the bottom leagues then these clubs will more than likely crumble. Is that alright because it suits the "big" teams? It has to be beneficial across the board not just for the big boys up in the super prem so they don't have to worry about relegation dog fights.

So what about the clubs which struggle to survive? Lugar, muirkirk, craigmark, royal Albert etc? If we cut the sectional cups and shorten the size of the bottom leagues then these clubs will more than likely crumble. Is that alright because it suits the "big" teams? It has to be beneficial across the board not just for the big boys up in the super prem so they don't have to worry about relegation dog fights.

What's wrong with these clubs..they have as much chance to prosper as any other. Never look at it as small club big club...all clubs are equal, they all get 1 vote. It would do ma head in if a was a supporter of Craigmark and folk were pitying my club..Troon are in the top league, Vale of Clyde have been there and Benburb..it can be done...believe.

What's wrong with these clubs..they have as much chance to prosper as any other. Never look at it as small club big club...all clubs are equal, they all get 1 vote. It would do ma head in if a was a supporter of Craigmark and folk were pitying my club..Troon are in the top league, Vale of Clyde have been there and Benburb..it can be done...believe.

They would believe it more if you weren't proposing to take their earning potential away from them.

If your bored enough and look through my posts when we were winning the Super Premier League and finishing 2nd a couple of seasons back I was saying should be 16 team top League. 22 games is not enough to decide League champions and relegation in my opinion.

Eh? If all the teams in the league play each other home and away then the League champions and the relegated teams get decided.

I don't get the ideology here at all.

I never once said small club, I said they struggle to survive which in financial terms is true, look at just 6 months ago if it wasn't for the intervention of Ayr United youth then Lugar would probably have folded by now, no disrespect intended to Lugar I think they're doing great in the circumstances and hope they get back to theirselves soon, but the fact still remains that this proposed change would kill off teams that don't have great financial backing.

Take away the sectional games and then cut their league size you're potentially talk anywhere between 5-10 home games a season that they're loosing out on. That might not seem a lot to these clubs with huge amounts of money but it is a lot.

Like I said before this has got to be beneficial across the board, it has to be positive changes for everyone. And as said by posters earlier if they can't sort out the fixture lists now with these leagues why is everybody so confident they'll get a larger league structure correct?

It was voted through before that the adl & central league would merge only for someone to spit the dummy out & demand a revote

As the Bankie poster said 4 leagues of 16 it's no hard work . Bring in another cup for the lower league teams if they wish

Re the last point - I think this is a good idea. Bring in a challenge cup for clubs below Premier level. It would help offset some of the financial deficits brought on by the loss of the Ardagh Cup.

4 leagues of 16 would be fine. Travelling isn't too bad - look at some of the distances district clubs travel just now. Girvan to Dalry for instance.

Muirkirk will be closer to a lot of central clubs than some in North Ayrshire.

Don't think anyone is suggesting making the bottom leagues smaller, rather a 16 team top division would be a part of a full restructure giving us 4 divisions of 16, meaning that even the bottom leagues would have 15 home league matches.

Personally my preference would be for the top two divisions to be all in, with the bottom two split into two new districts either on a north/south or east/west split. That would mean no club would ever be any more than two promotions away from the top flight.

I never once said small club, I said they struggle to survive which in financial terms is true, look at just 6 months ago if it wasn't for the intervention of Ayr United youth then Lugar would probably have folded by now, no disrespect intended to Lugar I think they're doing great in the circumstances and hope they get back to theirselves soon, but the fact still remains that this proposed change would kill off teams that don't have great financial backing.

Take away the sectional games and then cut their league size you're potentially talk anywhere between 5-10 home games a season that they're loosing out on. That might not seem a lot to these clubs with huge amounts of money but it is a lot.

Like I said before this has got to be beneficial across the board, it has to be positive changes for everyone. And as said by posters earlier if they can't sort out the fixture lists now with these leagues why is everybody so confident they'll get a larger league structure correct?

All am hearing is negativity bud, hope you don't take that attitude with you on a Saturday. Tell me see when Medda and Buffs and Kilbirnie were relegated to the district did you think we better no change the leagues so these clubs can get promoted asap ? Are you over the proverbial for Troon and Hurlford who have came from the district to become a top team in the region ? Do you think if Kello were to get massive investment and bombed up the leagues, they would publicly thank Talbot and Cumnock for no changing the system and 'letting' them play them in the Ardagh to help them survive ?. Every club is equal, they each have a vote. Irvine Vic's are in the district, 2 seasons time they could be in the top division... a 16 team league would give them a better chance of survival, give them 15 home fixtures against the 'big boys' and they would have earned the right to play these teams on an equal footing. It can be done..C'mon the Vic's. Believe.

I posted this last year when the topic came up to give you an idea of what to expect based on last season's final positions.

Super Premier

Auchinleck Talbot, Hurlford United, Irvine Meadow, Glenafton Athletic, Petershill, Beith Juniors, Troon, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Arthurlie, Shotts Bon Accord, Cumnock Juniors, Clydebank, Pollok, Shettleston, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Cumbernauld United

Super 1st

Rutherglen Glencairn, Maybole Juniors, Kilsyth Rangers, Greenock Juniors, Largs Thistle, Yoker Athletic, Irvine Victoria, Neilston Juniors, Ardeer Thistle, Thorniewood United, Ardrossan Winton Rovers, Kilwinning Rangers, Darvel Juniors, Blantyre Victoria, Bellshill Athletic, Maryhill
East
Dunipace, Carluke Rovers, Lesmahagow Juniors, Larkhall Thistle, Wishaw Juniors, Lanark United, Forth Wanderers, Royal Albert, Newmains United, Cambuslang Rangers, East Kilbride Thistle, Vale of Clyde, Ashfield, Rossvale, St. Roch's, Gartcairn
West
Whitletts Victoria, Lugar Boswell Thistle, Kello Rovers, Saltcoats Victoria, Annbank United, Dalry Thistle, Craigmark Burntonians, Girvan, Muirkirk Juniors, Renfrew, Johnstone Burgh, Vale of Leven, Port Glasgow Juniors, St. Anthony's, Benburb, Glasgow Perthshire
The geographic divide is between Glasgow Perthshire and Ashfield (meaning they would be in separate leagues despite being so close)

Or if you prefer:

North

Dunipace, Gartcairn, Newmains United, Wishaw Juniors, Renfrew, Vale of Clyde, St. Anthony's, Benburb, Ashfield, Rossvale, Johnstone Burgh, St. Roch's, Glasgow Perthshire, Cambuslang Rangers, Port Glasgow Juniors, Vale of Leven
South
Whitletts Victoria, Lugar Boswell Thistle, Kello Rovers, Saltcoats Victoria, Annbank United, Dalry Thistle, Craigmark Burntonians, Girvan, Muirkirk Juniors, Royal Albert, Larkhall Thistle, Lanark United, Carluke Rovers, Lesmahagow Juniors, Forth Wanderers, East Kilbride Thistle

The divide here is between Wishaw and East Kilbride

All am hearing is negativity bud, hope you don't take that attitude with you on a Saturday. Tell me see when Medda and Buffs and Kilbirnie were relegated to the district did you think we better no change the leagues so these clubs can get promoted asap ? Are you over the proverbial for Troon and Hurlford who have came from the district to become a top team in the region ? Do you think if Kello were to get massive investment and bombed up the leagues, they would publicly thank Talbot and Cumnock for no changing the system and 'letting' them play them in the Ardagh to help them survive ?. Every club is equal, they each have a vote. Irvine Vic's are in the district, 2 seasons time they could be in the top division... a 16 team league would give them a better chance of survival, give them 15 home fixtures against the 'big boys' and they would have earned the right to play these teams on an equal footing. It can be done..C'mon the Vic's. Believe.

Liked your opening statement there, made me chuckle, but I've not got much to be negative about at the moment with the way my team are playing thankfully. I agree teams can rise through the leagues, but most if not all are due to being heavily backed financially. If they could work out a way that this could benefit all clubs then I'm all for it and admittedly I never knew we were talking about 4 x 16 team leagues here, my bad.

I like the idea of a challenge cup type thing for maybe the bottom 2 divisions, that seems like a good idea and also realistic.

This approach could do nothing but improve our grade of football. Makes abundant sense no matter what division you are currently in.

I posted this last year when the topic came up to give you an idea of what to expect based on last season's final positions.

Super Premier

Auchinleck Talbot, Hurlford United, Irvine Meadow, Glenafton Athletic, Petershill, Beith Juniors, Troon, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Arthurlie, Shotts Bon Accord, Cumnock Juniors, Clydebank, Pollok, Shettleston, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Cumbernauld United

Super 1st

Rutherglen Glencairn, Maybole Juniors, Kilsyth Rangers, Greenock Juniors, Largs Thistle, Yoker Athletic, Irvine Victoria, Neilston Juniors, Ardeer Thistle, Thorniewood United, Ardrossan Winton Rovers, Kilwinning Rangers, Darvel Juniors, Blantyre Victoria, Bellshill Athletic, Maryhill

East

Dunipace, Carluke Rovers, Lesmahagow Juniors, Larkhall Thistle, Wishaw Juniors, Lanark United, Forth Wanderers, Royal Albert, Newmains United, Cambuslang Rangers, East Kilbride Thistle, Vale of Clyde, Ashfield, Rossvale, St. Roch's, Gartcairn

West

Whitletts Victoria, Lugar Boswell Thistle, Kello Rovers, Saltcoats Victoria, Annbank United, Dalry Thistle, Craigmark Burntonians, Girvan, Muirkirk Juniors, Renfrew, Johnstone Burgh, Vale of Leven, Port Glasgow Juniors, St. Anthony's, Benburb, Glasgow Perthshire

The geographic divide is between Glasgow Perthshire and Ashfield (meaning they would be in separate leagues despite being so close)

Or if you prefer:

North

Dunipace, Gartcairn, Newmains United, Wishaw Juniors, Renfrew, Vale of Clyde, St. Anthony's, Benburb, Ashfield, Rossvale, Johnstone Burgh, St. Roch's, Glasgow Perthshire, Cambuslang Rangers, Port Glasgow Juniors, Vale of Leven

South

Whitletts Victoria, Lugar Boswell Thistle, Kello Rovers, Saltcoats Victoria, Annbank United, Dalry Thistle, Craigmark Burntonians, Girvan, Muirkirk Juniors, Royal Albert, Larkhall Thistle, Lanark United, Carluke Rovers, Lesmahagow Juniors, Forth Wanderers, East Kilbride Thistle

The divide here is between Wishaw and East Kilbride

Archived