Highland League 2 Divisions

Whitburn Vale

They aren't required in LL but it causes problems (see backing-up of games at Selkirk Vale and Whitehill this season and associated teatime kickoffs).

So in HL - with more games, greater distances between a larger number of the clubs, and what appears to be a higher postponement rate - it could be very difficult.

However as noted - there is no requirement for floodlights or licences in tier 6, so any HL2 should not need to apply the same criteria. Certainly not the floodlight aspect (I suppose they might say licensing applied to the whole organisation?).

Easiest solution would be to join with North Juniors and make 16-16.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably exaggerated for effect but the argument seems to be being made on 2 fronts: less interest from sponsors in HL2 clubs, and cutting league games from 34 to only 18 games. Equally there are clubs and individuals on the other side of the argument making the same dire predictions of having too many midweek games!

It took me a while to realise but it's a hugely divisive idea up there: HL has had 1 setup - 1 division - since Gladstone was in power.

Would be a positive move forward to get the North Juniors on board as part of the HL2. I cant see anything negative in doing that and it would help pave the way for the Junior game as a whole embracing the pyramid.

It would be very simple if the SFA, HL and SNJFA didn't try to cover every possible outcome, and agree to meet again if a problem came up. Automatic promotion and relegation between the Super league and HL, as they are, 14 and 18 leagues. There is already promotion and demotion between the super league and the 2 lower regional ones. The only problem arises when promoted teams don't have the required facilities, unlikely in the short term, or if there is a big imbalance in promotion/demotion to and from the SPFL from HL/LL. Do a deal and then sort out problems when they arise. Why should HL1 and HL2(Super League) be the same size?

It would be very simple if the SFA, HL and SNJFA didn't try to cover every possible outcome, and agree to meet again if a problem came up. Automatic promotion and relegation between the Super league and HL, as they are, 14 and 18 leagues. There is already promotion and demotion between the super league and the 2 lower regional ones. The only problem arises when promoted teams don't have the required facilities, unlikely in the short term, or if there is a big imbalance in promotion/demotion to and from the SPFL from HL/LL. Do a deal and then sort out problems when they arise. Why should HL1 and HL2(Super League) be the same size?

And where would the North Caledonian fit into all this? Or are they (N Cal clubs/teams/companies) not interested?

Tbf, you might well be right.

They've only 6 teams currently and their league is only 10 games long.

They've got a few knockout cups, but this season at least one tie 'doubled-up' as a league game and Golspie scratched due to fixture congestion :lol:!!

Potentially they could be accommodated in the North Juniors West District, but I wonder if many clubs would be interested.

You might get 1 or 2 - e.g. Golspie and Halkirk.

And where would the North Caledonian fit into all this? Or are they (N Cal clubs/teams/companies) not interested?

I don't know tbh. The logical thing would be to extend the pyramid to First Division West v North Caledonian I would have thought. An away match in Orkney would be great!

Tain St.Duthus are returning next season as is a team from the Inverness area I believe.I'm sure the NCL could be absorbed into the system somehow. Halkirk United have been the only side I believe from the NCL to show an interest in joining the SHFL.

Archived