Highland League 2 Divisions

Whitburn Vale

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct ltl,there's been some amount of games off and teams will be playing a lot of midweek games just shortly.Talk of one league of ten,the other of nine,with Banks o Dee being invited in,not before time in my opinion as far as they are concerned. Hopefully they go for two leagues of ten and invite someone else in too,Golspie are now licensed too but don't think they're keen on stepping up,but being licensed now means having a commitment to the pyramid.Culter were mentioned of being interested a few seasons back too.Theyre talking of only playing a team 3 times a season,giving you 27 games a season.

Don't think Golspie would normally have a choice on the matter given they signed up to the concept of progression to get their licence, but they have no floodlights and I think that's a no no under Highland League rules just as it would be with the SPFL, so that's what probably prevents them from having to join if a space opened up for them. The more likely team 20 candidates over the next few seasons are probably Halkirk United and Aberdeen Uni.

The SHFL may grant them some leeway in respect of lights,like a seasons grace to get them installed but sure I saw somewhere of the residents opposite King George park opposing lights!! Yeah Halkirk are a good shout as are Culter,aye a wee side bet may be Aberdeen Uni right enough. But they may just go with 'Banks'and leave a space for a team who may get relegated from league 2 in future ie Montrose,Elgin etc but would much prefer them to have 2 evenly balanced leagues. They have to do something now as there's too many games trying to be squeezed in before the playoffs and having some sort of relegation in the SHFL is a start/must.

I think the OP has missed the point of the discussion last night. That being, the Aberdeenshire FA teams had a meeting amongst themselves to discuss cutting the North FA teams loose and making their own breakaway league, as none can compete with Brora and none can be bothered travelling.

Of the nine SHFL clubs involved, seven said yes and two said no.

Disgusting chicanery.

Add in BoD and Aberdeen Uni and that's nine Aberdeenshire FA clubs on board for a new EoS or SoS type setup? Guess the question then is whether the SFA would withdraw their entry level licences? Support for the "pyramid" was always lukewarm at best in that part of the world, so it's reasonably credible that clubs would do this, but it looks more like a bargaining tactic to me for some other end game.

I think the OP has missed the point of the discussion last night. That being, the Aberdeenshire FA teams had a meeting amongst themselves to discuss cutting the North FA teams loose and making their own breakaway league, as none can compete with Brora and none can be bothered travelling.

Disgusting chicanery.

How would that work. Would that mean them coming out of the pyramid?

Got it the wrong way about apparently as Cove Rangers (that's where the SFA president comes from) are said to be in the willing to breakaway Aberdeenshire FA faction. It all appears to be driven by the desire to get the 10-9 split HL setup agreed to with North of Scotland FA clubs being viewed as the main obstacle to achieving it.

Dont know anyone can think of it as regionalisation when Brora,Wick,Nairn and Forres could all be in the top league.At the end of the day this was coming,there is no kind of relegation from the SHFL,the gap between top and bottom is getting ever larger something needs to be done to increase competitiveness.

As I've said over on fitba north,it's not regionalisation,it comes down to demographics,more people stay in the shire/grampian than do in the north/highland so naturally theres gonna be more clubs.So in any new set up there will be more clubs from east of the spey than there are west of it,just like there is the now.Must agree though looks like the shire clubs who have always been more pro pyramid(apart from Buckie) are trying to shoehorn the north clubs into this.

The SHFL may grant them some leeway in respect of lights,like a seasons grace to get them installed but sure I saw somewhere of the residents opposite King George park opposing lights!! Yeah Halkirk are a good shout as are Culter,aye a wee side bet may be Aberdeen Uni right enough. But they may just go with 'Banks'and leave a space for a team who may get relegated from league 2 in future ie Montrose,Elgin etc but would much prefer them to have 2 evenly balanced leagues. They have to do something now as there's too many games trying to be squeezed in before the playoffs and having some sort of relegation in the SHFL is a start/must.

Yes their were objections from residents about flood lights which have prevented Golspie getting them. Not sure when they last applied though.

Disgusting chicanery.

.....and the SFA President's club is involved in all of this? dear me, what a shambles.

I read the thread on fitba north but couldn't see any direct quotes where all the guess work was coming from. Anybody got a link to the article?

Mandatory Floodlights for the lowland league is meant to be by the end of next season so surely golspie could get a years grace? Highland league 2 wouldn't necessarily have to be licenced immediately either.

Carnoustie might be another club interested in joining

I read the thread on fitba north but couldn't see any direct quotes where all the guess work was coming from. Anybody got a link to the article?

Mandatory Floodlights for the lowland league is meant to be by the end of next season so surely golspie could get a years grace? Highland league 2 wouldn't necessarily have to be licenced immediately either.

Carnoustie might be another club interested in joining

I can't see Carnoustie players relishing a 200 mile each way trip to Golspie on a Wednesday night. :lol:

P.S. Just realised they'll need head torches..

Archived