EU in/out Referendum - 23 June 2016

FlyerTon

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a world where the EU GDP is $18 US economy is $17 trillion per annum. The Chinese is $10 trillion and the UKs is $3 trillion but heavily dependent on financials and services it would be rank stupidity to move outside of the negotiating block of the EU and to have to negotiate trade deals on our own. Our economy massively depends on being open to the world but we have really sought after economic activity that resides here. We would have one sided trade deals forced down our throats.

Take Rolls Royce, most people will tell you the UK manufactures nothing. But we are a world leader in jet engine manufacturing. This is the kind of high tech, hi skills work every country in the world wants for itself. The US could through up spurious trade barriers to benefit General Electric and the French\EU for Snecma while forcing us to have ownership rules that would allow the company to be bought up and its factories moved over seas.

Inside the EU we sit with the Germans, French and the others and have the economic heft to be able to through up our own barriers that would hurt the US and have EU rules to prevent the French barriers.

Outside we are no one.

I'm voting out. EU needs reforming and they have had plenty of time to do it and it hasn't happened. One less layer of bureaucracy stealing our cash imo.

Await project Fear for out voters, "oh the sky will fall in, will cost you, etc, etc. Will be like Indyref all over.

And off course what has begun in earnest today is the next tory leader election campaign. Gove clearly guesses that with so many of his rivals on the In camp, being Out will help him consolidate a large part of the Out party members.

Boris has to chose between appealing to the base with Out and knowing that his lose cannon reputation would hurt him being the wrong side of the referendum and its just too much like appealing to the tory core and ignoring the rest of the country. Going for the Out votes works for those behind the races, but for those like Osbrone and May who are serious contenders, you have to be seen to be onside with the majority of the country and with the likes of the CBI.

Yeah but it's reeking of it.

We will vote on this as the UK so why should it matter how the vote is split ?

We had the chance to leave the UK and become part of the EU as Scotland and voted overwhelmingly against it. Furthermore we knew at that point that an EU referendum was likely and still chose to remain within the UK. That means for things like this we are voting as part of the UK, not Scotland. Why can't you accept that?

Not according to Project Fear, we didn't. They spent the whole indyref telling us that we would be kicked out of the EU if we voted "Yes".

Are you suggesting that they lied to us in an attempt to influence the result?

From my BLOG

eurovow.jpg

“Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.”

George W Bush

So David Cameron is looking to make it two wins out of two with his latest wheeze: The Vow Mk11 or EuroVow.

A cobbled together series of allowances, clarifications and distractions that will do for now, long enough to help him over the finishing line with an In vote. All of which can be removed at some point in the future.

The Scottish Independence referendum in 2014 saw us asked to vote on whether Scotland should or should not remain part of the political union that is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. For the best part of two years the debate was on the merits or otherwise of independence; the principles of either self determination of having decisions made on your behalf. It was only at the 11th hour that the third option was introduced, the infamous Daily Record insipid inspired Vow offering a new, shiny arrangement. As we’ve seen, it’s yet to be delivered, and isn’t binding on future arrangements.

I’m as yet neither for In or Out in the Euro Referendum. I see merits and weaknesses to both arguments. But I’ll say one thing; Cameron’s EuroVow is a sideshow, a distraction, a political squirrel designed to distract from the real question: In the long term are we better off in or out of the EU? That’s what we should be debating. The contents of Mr Cameron’s deal are a diversion, valid on one day only and not binding on a European Union which is constantly evolving. Don’t be distracted.

#EuroVow

Cammy said it was just to wind you up personally Loves a bit of banter oor dave

That cheeky b*****d.

I'll be replacing his medium Nandos sauce will the extra hot one.

Fair enough. But his motto is the world his my country, red is my flag. Goes completely against his previous principles

I'd imagine it's the internal market and the other capitalist aspects to the EU that he doesn't like.

So....how come Brits living abroad get a vote in this, but Scots living abroad didn't get to vote in the referendum?

Genuine question.

I'm guessing it's because whoever decides the rules generally wants to gerrymander things to favour their desired outcome as much as possible within the realms of what they can get away with. Brits in the EU will vote overwhelmingly to stay.

It's also much easier to define who is an ex-pat Brit than who is an ex-pat Scot. Got a UK passport, get a vote. Nothing like that for indyref.

Archived