EU in/out Referendum - 23 June 2016

FlyerTon

I think the result would be different but it would be a political gamble to vote against what you believe in because of political expediency.

If it turns out to be a Leave vote and Scotland votes Remain then that's the point to talk about tactics not before.

Aye, I fucked the point I was making at the start but you have picked up on what I was trying to express.  I can't think there would be too many who want to stay in the EU but who will vote leave to force an Indyref.  

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like the Yes campaign didn't disappear after the Scottish referendum the Leave campaigners won't disappear either.

But the anti-EU crowd have been around for years and it's take them until now to get a referendum. Incidentally I don't think we'll see another Scottish referendum for a good while yet.

Baroness Warsi has switched sides.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-referendum-baroness-sayeeda-warsi-defects-from-leave-to-remain-a7090741.html

Bizarre really - she may not have liked the tone of the campaign but if she believe leaving the EU is the best thing for Britain, why not vote Leave while at the same time criticising the campaign?

Maybe she's decided that staying in the EU is a price worth paying for keeping these cynical lying hate mongers out of power. 

That's why I find Granny's position to be ludicrous.

Does he genuinely believe it would be better out?

Or is he naively supporting Leave as a purely tactical decision?

If it's the former I think it's delusional.

If it's the latter I think it's political idiocy - if enough did as Granny you'd have a Leave majority in both the UK and Scotland - with any chance of independence killed stone dead.

Vote for what you believe in not what you think is politically expedient.

You mean by threatening to chuck us out of the EU if we don't?

I find that unlikely scenario scary but I don't see why you would

We would accept the Euro if they threatened to chuck us out. Nobody knows what's in store for us if we vote to stay in.

We would accept the Euro if they threatened to chuck us out. Nobody knows what's in store for us if we vote to stay in.

It would require a treaty change to force us to adopt the Euro which we could simply veto, so it's not going to happen.

Such an ultimatum would be playing into the hands of your side rather than mine. It's proving difficult enough to quell the fires of English Nationalism as it stands. Handing them the slogan "Control our Borders and keep the pound"  would surely tip things over the edge.

Such an ultimatum would be playing into the hands of your side rather than mine. It's proving difficult enough to quell the fires of English Nationalism as it stands. Handing them the slogan "Control our Borders and keep the pound"  would surely tip things over the edge.

It's not going to happen before the referendum they are not that stupid. Someone asked me for specific examples of what the EU will bring in and of course I don't know but neither do any of you. What will the EU look like in 5 years time?

It's not going to happen before the referendum they are not that stupid. Someone asked me for specific examples of what the EU will bring in and of course I don't know but neither do any of you. What will the EU look like in 5 years time?

I meant it would force another referendum,

Kinda weird how we're supposed to believe that Turkey will get in the EU and yet Scotland wouldn't have.

Kinda weird that.

The EU is an evil expansionist empire when it suits Brexiteers, but a curiously picky and coy little bitch when it doesn't. I wonder if we'd see a poster with lines of kilted Jocks crowding the road to England in a future indyref campaign.

With most of the Brexit arguments proven to be paranoid nonsense or blatant lies, the argument is switching to "Well it might not be that bad at the moment but what might it be like in the future?" Nobody knows but if we don't like any major changes we can't veto we could pull out then. Bit daft to do it now to avoid something that may never happen.

Archived