EU in/out Referendum - 23 June 2016

FlyerTon

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't it be better for Westminster to accede sovereignty to Brussels and, in return, let Westminster become instead one of the most powerful devolved parliaments in the world. We keep getting told this is a grand thing for nations, so why does the PM not embrace it for the UK?

This'll be the same as the scottish referendum: Empty vessels make some noise, blame their poverty on the outsiders, egged on by some dodgy nationalist politicians and then lose and cry, while everyone else carries on as before[/quote

Spot on. The SNP racists will no doubt disagree with you. They are in full blown "whinge mode". The trampled bagpipe brigade have gone into "moan overdrive". Now that Oil isn't worth anything, it's a pity the Nats can't harness some energy from the moaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

120615061053870673.gif

There's a good article in the Guardian today by Rafael Behr, pointing out that if the Leave campaign wins, they will still have lost.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/24/outers-win-lose-eu-referendum

Any workable application of a Brexit vote would end up looking like a partial reconstruction of EU membership. Then each segment of the coalition for leave would feel betrayed, one by one. The Tory libertarians would complain that not enough regulation had been scrapped; the hard left would find corporate capitalism still rampant; Ukip nativists would see no sudden restoration of ethnic homogeneity to the streets. The disparate pot of resentments, heated and stirred through the long campaign against “Europe”, would break and its contents flow into other political vessels and causes.

There's a good article in the Guardian today by Rafael Behr, pointing out that if the Leave campaign wins, they will still have lost.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/24/outers-win-lose-eu-referendum

its the guardian..

Emulating the Norwegian or Swiss models would require compromise in terms of contribution to the EU budget, acceptance of Brussels-derived regulations and porosity of borders. Any combination of those would so dilute the severance package advertised to British voters as to constitute grievous misselling.

people keep acting like we would have to have one of their models.. they have their own deals like we will.

if they dont want a free trade deal then so be it they lose out more then us , they need the trade deal or they would lose billions also.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/646917/David-Cameron-business-leader-stay-EU-grants-Brussels-millions-Vote-Leave

not really shocked

No (well it might also be the stance of that bitter old fud too) it was Salmond.

He was arguing pre Westminster election against there being a referendum on EU membership.

Idiot.

What does Jim Sillars' age have to do with anything?

Your vile, disgusting ageism offends me.

What about the really important questions:

If we vote OUT can we still be in the Eurovision Song Contest?

If we vote IN do we have to watch it?

Will the Eurovision Song Contest on 14 May be a poll of Europe on what they think about the UK referendum?

Will we get 'nil points' from the French, Germans etc. or will we be love-bombed with 'dix points' from everybody.

Can we deduce anything from the results? Does anybody care?

Swiss or Norway model keeps a lot if things the same but we loose our place at the table.

Pound is in free fall again today. No way will this be good for the UK economically.

the pound was expected to fall its not a shock it will rise once the ref is over, this scaremongering wont work.

the pound was expected to fall its not a shock it will rise once the ref is over, this scaremongering wont work.

It will if we don't leave. If we vote to leave it will slide further.

It will if we don't leave. If we vote to leave it will slide further.

Maybe aye, maybe no. Neil Woodford (well known investment guru)seems to think economics will not be a deciding factor. It will come down to the politics because there are good arguments on either side.

https://woodfordfunds.com/insight/brexit-economic-implications/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxrW2BRCFidKbqKyq1YEBEiQAnMDWxnS9kUGq7DQiGJW0DqfU2CN2X_5RJkkZ3Dgg5E9aQUMaApO88P8HAQ

The polls seems to say that staying is more likely but there are a wide range of contrasting results. The most recent poll with a decent sample size was very close but OUT winning by 1%

https://ig.ft.com/sites/brexit-polling/

It's only been a couple of days campaigning, but I am incandescent with rage at the utter, utter, shite portmanteaus that are getting bandied about. I've just seen a headline with 'Brexocalypse' in it. I hope the c**t who came up with this abomination gets hunted down and killed.

:angry:

I think out might win if they can get momentum going because at this stage they seem to have less of a mountain to climb than Yes did at this stage of the indyref campaign.

I'll be voting to stay although if out wins it could be a good thing because I'd like to see Boris Johnson as the next PM as opposed to Osbourne or May.

Archived