EU in/out Referendum - 23 June 2016

FlyerTon

Aye, and I'm sure now plenty of BritNats are doling out abuse to anyone with a continental accent. If your suggestion here is that the provision of a referendum on leaving a political union results in anti-foreign sentiment from some idiots, then why do you so fulsomely support a referendum in favour of leaving a political union?

No one has suggested "ever closer union" - it exists only in the heads of Uncle Tams and Little Britons. If the SNP looked like wanting to take an iScotland into an incorporating union in which its sovereign parliament was dissolved and a few representatives sent to a new one in Brussels (with Holyrood maybe getting reconvened as a devolved administration under the permission of Brussels in 300 years), I'm sure the electorate would soon boot them out of office.

The commitment to ever closer union

1. Was an objective in the preamble of the 1957 Treaty of the European Community - "Determined to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe".

2. Retained as an objective in the preamble of the Maastricht Treaty - RESOLVED to continue the process of creating an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe, in which decisions are taken as closely as possible to the citizen in accordance with the principle of subsidiarity”.

3. And repeated in the preamble of the Lisbon Treaty - "RESOLVED to continue the process of creating an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe, in which decisions are taken as closely as possible to the citizen in accordance with the principle of subsidiarity."

4. And in the preamble of the Treaty of the Functioning of the European Union - "“DETERMINED to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe ...”.

So the EU must be made up of "Uncle Tams" as you put it (a nasty racist term IMO) and "Little Britons".

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Uncle Tams" are a "race"? There was me thinking it referred to people passionately against national sovereignty for Scotland (but all for it for the UK). Can you explain how racial background enters into it at all?

Incidentally, Cameron has "won" an opt-out against "ever closer union" (whatever that means - nothing to me indicates that the EU wants to pull off a UK. And if it did want to dissolve the statehood of members, why are pro-UK regionalists against it, when they spent years extolling the benefits of exactly that type of "closer union"?)

Plot twist: what if England narrowly votes to leave, with Scotland/Wales/NI dragging it into a narrow Remain victory?

Hilarity ensues. We'll see how happy a family of nations we are when "Jockestan" actually influences England's future direction.

"Uncle Tams" are a "race"? There was me thinking it referred to people passionately against national sovereignty for Scotland (but all for it for the UK). Can you explain how racial background enters into it at all?

Incidentally, Cameron has "won" an opt-out against "ever closer union" (whatever that means - nothing to me indicates that the EU wants to pull off a UK. And if it did want to dissolve the statehood of members, why are pro-UK regionalists against it, when they spent years extolling the benefits of exactly that type of "closer union"?)

I suggest that you look at how "Uncle Tom" (from Uncle Tom's Cabin) is used in the US. - "a black person who is regarded as being subservient or excessively deferential to white people." So your "Uncle Tams" is a racist or bigoted term IMO.

I suggest that you look at how "Uncle Tom" (from Uncle Tom's Cabin) is used in the US.

I'm aware of that: I'm asking how "Uncle Tam" is racist, when it refers to intra-British nationality (or regionality, as they might prefer) rather than race. The question of Scotland's statehood has never been about race (or religion, despite what populist, trouble-stoking zealots like a certain fedora aficionado likes to pretend).

some left-leaning articles making a case for withdrawal.

The New Statesman on the Left Wing Case for "Brexit"

Goerge Monbiot admits to doubts about the EU and may vote no

Nick Cohen on the Left and a No vote

There are others out there.

Sure, it's not comfortable being on the same side (but for fundamentally different reasons) as bell ends and roasters like Farage and Galloway.

Just as it can't be comfortable as voting on the same side as Cameron, Osborne, what's left of the Busted Flush Party, and so on.

It's just as well we don't vote on personality otherwise I'd stay at home and want both sides to lose.

Cheers mate, appreciated.

Read the Monbiot one. What an idiot.

The slippage began with the disastrous abandonment last year of the soil framework directive, at the behest of agricultural lobbyists and the British government. It’s the first time a directive has been derailed.

So the EU tried to do something good but was stopped by the British Government and the National Farmers Union and his solution to this is to withdraw from the EU.
:1eye

After a fair bit of consideration, I've decided that I'm going to vote to leave.

Think for Boris this is very much a win-win situation. Fair play to the other cabinet ministers backing leave, something to be said for sticking to your principles rather than just following the official government line. I'd imagine it must have been a difficult choice for Michael Gove, him and Dave go way back as close personal friends. Whilst I know he's not the most popular Tory MP, I've a lot of respect for him. Thought he was good in education and he's doing a great job in justice, rolling back most of Grayling's awful reforms.

I still think we'll vote to stay in and I don't think it'll be a disaster whichever way we vote. I'm just dreading spending the next few months hearing "staying inside a reformed EU or taking a leap in the dark."

In what universe was Gove doing a good job in education? He was an utter disaster.

In what universe was Gove doing a good job in education? He was an utter disaster.

Sooky is a Tory. Everything he says has to be taken that context.

Edited because autocorrect changed Sooky to Sooty. Says it all really.

I see that Scottish dick Angus Robertson was whinging about the Scots getting taken out of Europe against their will. When are these whiney leftards going to get on with what they are elected to do? Moaning faced losers.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Archived