EU in/out Referendum - 23 June 2016

FlyerTon

What makes you think the British Goverment would do any more than the EU to protect British seamen? They're more interested in keeping transport costs down for UK industry as a whole.

What's the point in me voting to remain in the EU when my Union rep, who attended and participated in the conference, has told me that our seafarers have been asking the question of the EU for 30 years with the same results?

My vote, my choice. Now ask yourself how you, personally, benefit from being a member of the EU and make your choice based on that.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes you think the British Goverment would do any more than the EU to protect British seamen? They're more interested in keeping transport costs down for UK industry as a whole.

Also, Google flags of convenience and social dumping. There should be good info on the Nautilus website.

Some EU seamen in our waters are on as little as £2.30 p/h, foreign seamen on even less.

Another edit. When the UK government stopped tax breaks for workers working outside the UK, including oil rigs, they saw the worth of the British seafarer, civilian ships were needed to be comondeered for a conflict as small as the Falklands (imagine how many will be needed when the middle east kicks off properly). We kept the seafarers tax allowance of a 100% deduction, this gives me a little faith that the government realise how vital we are to the nation.

What's the point in me voting to remain in the EU when my Union rep, who attended and participated in the conference, has told me that our seafarers have been asking the question of the EU for 30 years with the same results?

My vote, my choice. Now ask yourself how you, personally, benefit from being a member of the EU and make your choice based on that.

You haven't said why you think the UK Government outside the EU would do any more for you. If you're voting for narrow, selfish motives as you claim, that should be your only consideration.

You haven't said why you think the UK Government outside the EU would do any more for you. If you're voting for narrow, selfish motives as you claim, that should be your only consideration.

Have edited my post now.

Chap on five live just now who says he's an elected member of the SNP stating any nationalist who's voting stay is a hypocrite. Interesting.

Absolutely spot in IMO. Had the argument with my uber nationalistic brother yesterday.

I'd start demanding some guarantees from Boris and his chums.

I have asked the question of Boris.

You and I both know that there are no guarantees in politics.

I take it by your post that you find my reasoning noble enough?

ETA I see your scaremongering edit, how politically astute of you.

I have asked the question of Boris.

You and I both know that there are no guarantees in politics.

I take it by your post that you find my reasoning noble enough?

I've nothing against voting for selfish reasons, if everyone did so the Tories would never get power again. I just doubt your faith in a UK Government outside the EU treating you any better than they and the EU do now.

It would likely be impossible to find out but it's a story I remember from the local paper years ago. It's obviously an extreme example but EU bureaucracy is a regular source of FFS moments at work and it all just smacks of creating unproductive jobs for suits.

The EU is a basket case at the moment anyway, specifically with the migrant crisis raising doubts about the future of the Schengen agreement. Then you have the ongoing economic problems in several member states which just get kicked further along the road rather than actually addressed, loading more debt onto already terminally-indebted nations while stripping them of their assets. This seems to be the EU way.

If the UK wasn't already in the EU, who in their right mind would vote to join it under these circumstances?

You could probably ask the same question for Scotland and the UK.

Absolutely spot in IMO. Had the argument with my uber nationalistic brother yesterday.

Whether he's right or wrong I'm just glad that there seems to be people within the SNP with differing views. I'll find it really odd of none of the MP's or MSP's campaign to leave.

The benefit of the opposing views within a party means that we are more likely to get the facts for in or out rather than some carefully scripted party line designed to secure votes.

We are an island nation, we built the biggest empire the planet has seen due to our nautical prowess. If we isolate ourselves a little more from Europe the maritime industry will benefit. I don't think it is a coincidence that the decline of our merchant fleet and our membership of the EC started around the same time.

You could probably ask the same question for Scotland and the UK.

David Mundell claimed that if the UK didn't exist today, Scotland would be dying to dissolve itself to create it. David Mundell is, of course, a craven Uncle Tam who despises Scotland, and conveniently ignores the complete lack of nations queuing up dissolve their statehood and become regions governed from London.

I've nothing against voting for selfish reasons, if everyone did so the Tories would never get power again. I just doubt your faith in a UK Government outside the EU treating you any better than they and the EU do now.

The EU is not an island reliant on shipping for 70 to 90% of it's consumed goods.

Except we have an actual example of when this happened in recent history and it caused record numbers of spoiled ballots and the subsequent investigation concluded that local and national elections shouldn't be held on the same day.

Great contribution otherwise.

Of course you completely fail to acknowledge that this was in part due to the fact that numbers were needed for the council elections, and only crosses for holyrood. No such difference exists.

Great contribution from you....

If people are too stupid to differentiate between ballots marked with an "x", and those marked "1,2,3,4", they don't deserve a vote.

I think it actually says on the ballot paper (for council, Assembly and European) elections "Mark your preferences 1,2,3, etc" and for Westminster "Mark your preference with an x".

It will be interesting to see how willing Labourites are to stand shoulder to shoulder with Tories on either platform after what happened in Scotland. I predict a lot squirming and phoning in sick.

In the 1975 referendum (on joining) Labour and Tory stood side by side on both sides. Didn't make much odds at General elections as far as I recall.

Archived