"Premiership teams stuck in the Championship"

I've now seen two journalists use this phrase in the last couple of days when talking about Hibs and Rangers, and I also heard Dundee United described on the radio as a team "that's really a Premiership team, not a Championship one".

Times change. Folk lie, steal and cheat. The directors sell the best players and they appoint the wrong manager. Third Lanark finished third in the old First Division in 1961.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've now seen two journalists use this phrase in the last couple of days when talking about Hibs and Rangers, and I also heard Dundee United described on the radio as a team "that's really a Premiership team, not a Championship one".

Times change. Folk lie, steal and cheat. The directors sell the best players and they appoint the wrong manager. Third Lanark finished third in the old First Division in 1961.

Are you upset because you are a Championship team stuck in the Premiership?

The phrase was used last season as well - but it's just another example of the cringe that a lot of people have about seeing grounds like Douglas Park or the Caledonian on TV or reading about sub-2000 crowds and bizarrely caring about what people in England think about it.

Hearts, Hibs and Rangers (and soon Utd) all have the infrastructure to be top level clubs of course but the inconvenient fact is that whilst Hearts cruised through the Championship and are firmly re-established as a top side, Hibs and Rangers simply weren't good enough to come up and so remain as second tier clubs on merit for a few months more at least - and Utd despite their budget have been Championship standard, on a good day.

On the flip side, Accies, ICT & Ross County - whilst being quite a bit further along the diddy club spectrum than most top flight teams have been historically - are all thriving relatively speaking and fully deserve their places in the top league at the expense of the larger clubs - and yet have been patronised and disdained in equal measure since they've been up.

I've probably said it before but the attitude of "I can't wait until things get back to normal" by hacks and people in the game is out of date and misguided - I suspect they will be disappointed for a while yet as it may be a long time before nirvana is reached and the 12 biggest clubs are all in the top league together...

Also, Alan Stubbs is a slavering moron of a man. Barely a day goes by without him bleeting about how Scottish football 'needs' his club in the top flight.

If they can't beat Rangers to the title, I'll savour their inevitable bottle job in the play-offs.

The bit about us being "stuck" is a bit daft really. Neither club are stuck, they were one of three big teams in a league last year that had one guaranteed promotion. Rangers and Hibs (barring another financial meltdown in Govan) will be spend the vast majority of their futures in the top league.

We deserved to go down and the smaller teams in the top league deserve to be there, I don't think there's any greeting from Hibs fans about that. You know what they mean with the "Premiership club" tag though, you'd have to be a bit oversensitive to be complaining about that.

Edit: Haven't noticed Stubbs saying the top league needs us but if he saying that, that is silly. Just get on with it. This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons in years anyway, moaning about what's gone before is utterly pointless.

You know what they mean with the "Premiership club" tag though, you'd have to be a bit oversensitive to be complaining about that.

Fair enough - but it's surely an equally valid point that "Premiership Club" is something earned on the park - not by building a bigger stand or having training facilities?

You win the games, you get the points. You get the points, you rise through the leagues, and win shit.

Unless winning them is one minor piece of cheatery in a panoply of malfeasance, in which you die.

Killie, for instance, were too good to go down last year (and the year before, and the year before, and so on). If we drop down this year, obviously we're not good enough to stay up. If we then won more points than others next season, we'd be too good for the second tier. And so on. Like the fucking late seventies all over again...

Fair enough - but it's surely an equally valid point that "Premiership Club" is something earned on the park - not by building a bigger stand or having training facilities?

And I don't think commentators are saying Hibs, Rangers, Hearts, United etc deserve/d to be in the top league. They're making the point that these clubs should always be Premiership clubs. Which is true, it takes a serious f**k up from the clubs for them not to be.

Definitely a stupid point to make on the grounds of it being fucking obvious but it's surely not something worth getting too concerned about.

As we stand just now, the position every club finds themselves (division wise) is totally deserved based on footballing and administrational decisions by those clubs in the past. (not going to get into the whys and wherefores of administration /liquidation as thats been done to death).

Hibs deserved to be relelagted, hearts deserved the punishment for entering admin and rangers deserved having to climb back up from the bottom tier, i think most would accept this as fair.

Personally i'd love to see Hibs and rangers back in the top league but only on merit and whilst its easy to take a pop at the media, i think some are being a bit precious over this 'premiership team' label.

Hibs outplayed Hearts over 180 minutes, guys like stokes, mcginn, henderson, cummings, mcgeough, gray and others are more than good enough for the premiership, they've won 4 out of 4 meetings this season against top level teams, thats vindication for me they are good enough for the premier league and are not even leading the championship.

I really think this is all the pundits are saying, I've not heard anyone seriously advocating we change the setup to accommodate the bigger clubs who, through their own fault find themselves outwith the top flight.

Archived