Brands that won't take off in Scotland

Hillonearth

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a tangent, but Aldi in Australia have recently been running an advert for whisky with the slogan 'Cheap and Scottish. Act surprised'

I suppose that could go either way in Scotland.

Sales in Germany used to be advertised as Schottische Preis ( Scottish price ) same idea I suppose.

Also some German friends visiting laughed their heads off at Ayrshire Bacon. Ayrshire sounds the same as arse in German!

Sales in Germany used to be advertised as Schottische Preis ( Scottish price ) same idea I suppose.

Also some German friends visiting laughed their heads off at Ayrshire Bacon. Ayrshire sounds the same as arse in German!

Wee wifie goes into the butchers, and peruses the items on display. "Is that your Ayrshire bacon?", she asks the butcher. "Naw, I'm just warming my hauns at the fire".

Coat, exit.

Japanese drink that is actually quite good as a thirst quencher, but they would need to rebrand it for the Scottish market:

Pocari-Sweat-CAN.jpg

another one that could be a tough sell if you know the history:

4901340228825.jpg?_ex=330x330

May be an urban legend, but the story goes that the American occupation forces called it "cow piss" and calpis was adopted as the phonetic spelling that was a better fit for Japanese katakana.

Archived