County v Accies - 20/2/16

Sounds like we'll be able to field a back four of Foster, Quinn, Davies and Reckord, which should be fine. Not a fan of playing a midfielder at fullback when there are actual fullbacks available. Might need one of Miller or McLaughlin on the bench in case of emergencies though. Logic would dictate it be Miller because of Foster's ability to cover LB.

I'd like to see Franks on the right, Gardyne on the left, McShane and Irvine in the middle (although it'll be Woods and Irvine), and two of Boyce, Goodwillie and Schalk up front. I'm undecided on which two.

2-1 County.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be Boyce and Goodwillie up front, no doubt about it.

I'm not questioning this prediction, just interested on your take as to why those are the most likely starters? I expect you're right, but am I the only one who thinks it's harsh on Schalk and Graham, 2 boys who we're scoring regularly before Boyce and Goodwillie returned/showed up? I totally get Boyce coming straight back in, and support that. Doesn't Willie need to earn his way into the starting lineup?

As a team, we scored 14 goals in 6 games without those two.

I expect them to come good, and probably this weekend, but would be feeling pretty disillusioned if I was Graham or Schalk right now.

Schalk looks like a very good find, and Brian Graham - despite having no obvious footballing ability - has scored goals. I don't really approve of McIntyre dropping either of them (particularly Schalk) for David Goodwillie in the faint hope that Goodwillie might, just by chance, rediscover his form of half a decade ago.

I would much rather see Schalk starting and Goodwillie coming on off the bench than the other way around.

I'm not questioning this prediction, just interested on your take as to why those are the most likely starters?

Simply, that's what happened against Hearts.

IMO, that put a marker down that the manager thinks Boyce and Goodwillie are the two best strikers at the club. Schalk was signed to give the squad something different, and he has definitely delivered in that respect, but Goodwillie was signed to start games.

I expected Schalk to initially keep his place beside Boyce, because he deserved it. He should have started against Celtic, too, ahead of Boyce. I also think he is a very good player who I like a lot. He can feel hard done by, but hopefully that spurs him on to win his place back. He'll get 20-30 minutes here and there unless there is an injury, and will get a good run in the cups. Similar with Graham, who scored three in three and then couldn't get on at all in the last couple of matches. Graham is effective too in a different way. Both will still feature a fair bit.

However, to my eyes the manager was justified in picking Boyce and Goodwillie against Hearts by their performance, despite the scoreline. Some of the speed of thought and link up play among those two and Gardyne, and even Irvine, was exciting to watch and almost very effective. Some of the short passing went slightly askew, but the margin for error was small and they will improve together as they reach peak sharpness. They have so much potential together. I could turn out to be very wrong on this, but I think Boyce and Goodwillie will be a very good partnership.

I don't have any doubts about Goodwillie, for what it's worth. He showed enough quality in his 60 minutes against Hearts to highlight how well he works with the rest. If he keeps that application up and finds the accuracy in his play that I expect him to, I'll be delighted. It's a shame he can't play in the cups.

in the faint hope that Goodwillie might, just by chance, rediscover his form of half a decade ago.

Harsh, IMO. If Goodwillie contributes to Boyce's output in the way that he did to Rooney in the last couple of years, I'll be pretty pleased.

I wouldn't rule out Irvine being shoe-horned on the right again, to accommodate everyone.

I hate this approach to team selection. Granted, I wasn't at the Hearts game to judge how Irvine got on, but this is a game where we need to take the initiative and I'd rather see an out-and-out winger down the flank, providing width and getting balls in to the box. Irvine is an excellent central midfielder, but he's not a winger.

Schalk looks like a very good find, and Brian Graham - despite having no obvious footballing ability - has scored goals. I don't really approve of McIntyre dropping either of them (particularly Schalk) for David Goodwillie

Simply, that's what happened against Hearts.

I expected Schalk to initially keep his place beside Boyce, because he deserved it.

They have so much potential together. I could turn out to be very wrong on this, but I think Boyce and Goodwillie will be a very good partnership.

Thanks for your thoughts, boys.

We seem to be in agreement that it was harsh... but I do agree with the last BB bit I highlighted as well. Have County EVER had so many goals in their team?! Love it.

We've had no weather related postponments this season, so I imagine the pitch will be fine unless the weather is really bad for the next couple of days.

I was thinking more about transport but it's good to hear the pitch should hold up as I don't want to be heading up to Dingwall on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yeah, I kind of confused myself. Basically we aren't anywhere near as good when Davies isn't playing. I'd suggest if Davies splits opinion, it's only because those same opinion-givers would have us punt the ball up the line every time the centre backs get in the slightest bit of pressure.

He's comfortably our best player.

giphy.gif

Ref has been incredibly inconsistent especially with the one on Morris where there's clearly blood there but has a foul for considerably less. We look OK but we have nothing up front (again) which has contributed to having no real chance as of yet. That pitch is fucking awful too.

Ref has been incredibly inconsistent especially with the one on Morris where there's clearly blood there but has a foul for considerably less. We look OK but we have nothing up front (again) which has contributed to having no real chance as of yet. That pitch is fucking awful too.

Its ok there's a full team of strikers on the bench lol with county down to 10 men use a couple eh !!!! Or have we forgot how to attack

Reckord is an utter liability lately.

Terrified when I see him near the team now, just awful form.

Fucks sake, backs to the wall and 1-1.

Also subbed off Gardyne and Schalk now so not much of an out ball.

So we've now got a right back at left back, a centre back at right back, a central midfielder on each wing, and 1 striker.
Great.

Be amazed if we hold on for a draw.

Archived