Big nations plans to exclude small nations from champions league

Guest DAVIDB69

Guest DAVIDB69

Would imagine they are quite series in their plans for this .

Will UEFA cave in and remove the champions non champions route in the play off round.

So if say Celtic won the league if they got to the play off round and meet someone like Seville in an attempt to get into the group stages

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd let them.

Look at European domestic leagues:

In England you have a top 4. Leicester are doing well this season but its the first time for years that an outsider has had a chance of winning the title.

In Spain you've got a top 2. 3 if you include Atletico.

Germany? its a top 2.

France? PSG are 24 points ahead.

European football can pretty much be split between the super clubs and the rest. Even down south, money hasn't made the league more competitive or a more level playing field. It's simply made relegation an even costlier proposition for the smaller teams.

Let them piss off to a European super league. Let the big 20 or 24 teams form their own super competition and watch TV money follow them. The rest of European football can get back to being a proper competition. Domestic leagues would improve with the removal of the super clubs. A proper European champions competition would be far more competitive and would be open to league champions only.

I'm all for a European super league. Remove the super clubs from domestic competition and let everybody get back to competitive football. From a Scottish point of view, the end of TV money in England would go a long way to help Scottish teams. There would no longer be a huge draw for players to abandon top flight football in Scotland because the lower leagues in England could pay more.

It's a bonkers idea, presuming it would be invitation only, how do they decide who to invite for the first season. Do they make it the top 4 from the top 5 leagues?? The four biggest clubs in the top 5 leagues get invited. How do they decide who the biggest clubs are?? Who would get the other two places in Germany for example. Or who joins PSG from France?? Is there relegation or is it closed shop after the first season. What happens to domestic football in the top 5 leagues?? Do these teams still play domestic football??

To me there are far too many variables to make this viable.

I agree with the genreal principle against it, but as people have said, don't have to look too far from home for parallels.

You also have the fact that the Old Firm would move to EPL at drop of a hat.

....Let them piss off to a European super league. Let the big 20 or 24 teams form their own super competition and watch TV money follow them....

Would be amusing to watch what happens with the clubs that are used to always being domestic champions or close to it, that would wind up as second rate alsorans in a Euro superleague. Think the clubs involved know that the status quo is actually better for them from that standpoint as it keeps their gloryhunters hooked, and all they are looking to do is liven up the group stages by undoing some of Michel Platini's changes that made it easier for the champions of smaller countries to gain access by not having an all in seeded draw in the final qualifying round.

It's a bonkers idea, presuming it would be invitation only, how do they decide who to invite for the first season. Do they make it the top 4 from the top 5 leagues?? The four biggest clubs in the top 5 leagues get invited. How do they decide who the biggest clubs are?? Who would get the other two places in Germany for example. Or who joins PSG from France?? Is there relegation or is it closed shop after the first season. What happens to domestic football in the top 5 leagues?? Do these teams still play domestic football??

To me there are far too many variables to make this viable.

It won't stop them doing it.

Whenever American football was getting bigged up on Channel 4, and a lot of people were getting into it - 30 years ago? - a mate of mine said football was going to end up the same - franchises.

I laughed. I'm not laughing now.

I can't see it ever working as a league system as that would require withdrawl from domestic football. If, as has been suggested, they just want a closed shop tournament devoid of any qualification then I guess it would run along the same premise as the CL just now. Maybe 4 groups of 5, home and away. Top 2 qualify for ko stages. However, I don't see how that would be anymore exciting for the lay fan and surely one of the things that gets supporters in Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Scotland to watch CL football is having a team from that country in it. I'll admit to watching old Rangers and Celtic in Europe in the hope of seeing them get pumped. I can't see the appeal to people in the rest of Europe to watching teams that they hold no interest in, playing each other.

I can't see it ever working as a league system as that would require withdrawl from domestic football. If, as has been suggested, they just want a closed shop tournament devoid of any qualification then I guess it would run along the same premise as the CL just now. Maybe 4 groups of 5, home and away. Top 2 qualify for ko stages. However, I don't see how that would be anymore exciting for the lay fan and surely one of the things that gets supporters in Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Scotland to watch CL football is having a team from that country in it. I'll admit to watching old Rangers and Celtic in Europe in the hope of seeing them get pumped. I can't see the appeal to people in the rest of Europe to watching teams that they hold no interest in, playing each other.

There are plenty that watch CL that don't have a local interest, just like they watch EPL.

Guest DAVIDB69

Still think the savour for the big countries and UEFA will cave in will be the abolishing of the play off round in its current format.

There is no way you will have Celtic v Malmö for a place in the group stages it will go to seedings and rankings I suspect so instead something like Celtic v man city for a place instead

The NFL is a closed shop. They seem to manage just fine.

The days of clubs being reliant on fans attending games is over. If you're Man United then it doesn't matter whether your fans travel 50 miles to watch you or 5000. They don't care because they don't have to care. TV, sponsorship and merchandise money massively exceeds any income that clubs raise from fans attending games. In a pan-European or global TV market? Man Utd v Barcelona is a far bigger money spinner than Man Utd v Stoke City.

We're creating a generation of young fans who follow superstar footballers or superstar football clubs. That kind of fandom isn't reliant on the romantic notion of local rivalries, local kids done good or any of the things that football used to be about.

theyv been desperate to do this for ages, some of them seem to feel hard done by when they ge drawn against teams in russia or turkey .

not going to bother going into the all the above posts about franshising and kids these days, we all know its true

football as we know it is fucked. i genuinly know a 26 year old guy who didnt have any interest in football untill he was 18, he "supports" arsenal becuase they were the team he liked to go when playing fifa. most people like him are only interested in the holywood football as i like to call it. why wouldnt they just want big teams playing each other ?

So what do we assume the compromise to be? Top 5 leagues get their top 4 in to the group stages automatically with the 5th placed teams in a rejigged qualifying rounds, leaving the possibility of 12 other countries making the group stages. Or a complete make over.

Recently there was talk of a 3rd club competition for the smaller nations. It wouldn't surprise me to see to the introduction of something similar to the UEFA Nations League idea. Champions League for the top ranked nations, Europa League for mid-ranked nations, 3rd League for the bottom ranked. Hopefully a nation could rise up the coefficients to a higher grade but the coeffiecients will be skewed to benefit the status quo.

So what do we assume the compromise to be? Top 5 leagues get their top 4 in to the group stages automatically with the 5th placed teams in a rejigged qualifying rounds, leaving the possibility of 12 other countries making the group stages. Or a complete make over.

Recently there was talk of a 3rd club competition for the smaller nations. It wouldn't surprise me to see to the introduction of something similar to the UEFA Nations League idea. Champions League for the top ranked nations, Europa League for mid-ranked nations, 3rd League for the bottom ranked. Hopefully a nation could rise up the coefficients to a higher grade but the coeffiecients will be skewed to benefit the status quo.

That's what I don't. Like about them, I'm not against seeding if its done fairly but this five year average is designed to suit the bigger clubs. Barcelona can have a howler and go out in the group stage without it affecting their seeding whereas Malmo could win it and they'd still be pot 4 next year

Archived