Modern shite patter

Hampden Diehard

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:
“You love to see it”.
“Gammon/gammons”. 

Gammon is fantastic patter because it fits perfectly. It is admittedly rare for patter of this type to be good. "Snowflake" being a good example of how shite it can get.

Like most pish patter it’s had the arse kicked out of it and 99% of it’s use now is completely out of context on social media by thick c***s trying to use the latest hipster jargon to look cool trolling politicians or journalists, albeit most of them deserve the trolling.

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Agreed, a great word, and very easy to characterise people as a gammon, whereas there is a little more ambiguity as to whether someone fits as a Karen or as a snowflake. 

The only people I've seen complain about it are gammons themselves.

11 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Agreed, a great word, and very easy to characterise people as a gammon, whereas there is a little more ambiguity as to whether someone fits as a Karen or as a snowflake. 

Gammons tend to be cut and dried. 

Yeah, the ultimate Karen usually doesn’t have a job and lives off her husband as the school run takes too much of a toll on her daily routine. You could easily confuse a normal woman having a particularly bad/hormonal day for a Karen so it’s not always a reasonable insult.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:
“You love to see it”.
“Gammon/gammons”. 

Gammon is fantastic patter because it fits perfectly. It is admittedly rare for patter of this type to be good. "Snowflake" being a good example of how shite it can get.

Well said.  Gammons are usually easy to spot.

”Snowflake”is a bit more ambiguous.  There were lots of Snowflakes when Johnson was ill with COVID-19 wishing him a speedy recovery.  They would probably resent being classed as Snowflakes.

1 minute ago, The Other Foot said:

'Shut the **** up' is common. '**** up' on its own is not something I've ever heard uttered in real life 

I would class "f**k up" as being fairly commonly used where I grew up. Have seen it mentioned on here before that folk had never heard such a use, and always been surprised as I assumed it would be widely heard. 

f**k up you. 

Snowflake doesn't seem to mean anything like what it started as. Used to mean that someone was a precious, delicate wee flower who thought they deserved special treatment, then morphed into anyone who wasn't right-wing and found something offensive/unfair, and now basically means anyone who isn't right-wing and expresses a view on anything. Presumably because the fascists believe in taking power by force; talk is for weedy pigeons.

Gammon still seems to mean the same thing; seething white men who get themselves red-faced over whatever (usually race-related) nonsense the Daily Mail are banging on about now. Bit difficult to get that one wrong.

'Shut the **** up' is common. '**** up' on its own is not something I've ever heard uttered in real life 
In "Shut the f**k up" shut up is the phrasal verb and "the f**k" is inserted for emphasis, so in that case "f**k up" is neither verb nor noun. f**k up can be a noun or separable phrasal verb in its own right though as in "What an almighty f**k up" or "Ade Azeez through on the keeper, he's going to f**k it up". Those uses are common in English but I've only ever encountered it as an imperative in the west of Scotland and that's with a different meaning.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
22 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

In "Shut the f**k up" shut up is the phrasal verb and "the f**k" is inserted for emphasis, so in that case "f**k up" is neither verb nor noun. f**k up can be a noun or separable phrasal verb in its own right though as in "What an almighty f**k up" or "Ade Azeez through on the keeper, he's going to f**k it up". Those uses are common in English but I've only ever encountered it as an imperative in the west of Scotland and that's with a different meaning.

Thanks Diego. Not fully up-to-scratch on grammar tbh, so this is very interesting. The thing I'm complaining about is when, for example, someone on RangersMedia says something unpopular (such as 'Hibs actually played well') and someone else will respond with 'f**k up'. So are they issuing it as a command, or telling the person that they are a f**k up? It's not something I've heard in real life, but it annoys the tits off me when written 

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2018 at 18:19, Hampden Diehard said:

He's bunkered the fourth. GTF.

I’d love an alternative commentary option, similar in a way to ‘translating for the neds’ from Chewin the Fat.

”he’s totally f***ed that one”

”aye, he’s made a right arse of it going for the eagle”