Plastic Fantastic?

Plastic Pitches  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm coaching now (this morning we had a game abandoned on Astro because the snow couldn't drain into the ground) so I've seen and trained on plenty. There are a few decent ones - Donald Dewar in Drumchapel isn't too bad on the joints - likewise there's some horrible ones, Petershill Park for example is like concrete in the goalmouth.

Petershill one seems overused if thats possible for 3G pitches lol, its always got some form of training or game on it, so they probably dont put too much into maintenance because of its constant use

Toryglen are fantastic pitches (the indoor is tremendous) glasgow green has 2 good pitches, greenfield is excellent as well when the local weans havent torched it

as for the weather, the council dont have the proper equipment to clear snow off the pitches seemingly, which i crap given how good the pitches are in all other weather conditions

There was a discussion about this on Radio Scotland yesterday afternoon. It was like they were reading from a script with all the cliches and pish that was coming out.

Stuff like the ball not bouncing or running true (because of course it does this on all grass pitches) and teams having an advantage at home because of this (because all grass pitches have the same bounce and run) etc.

There was a discussion about this on Radio Scotland yesterday afternoon. It was like they were reading from a script with all the cliches and pish that was coming out.

Stuff like the ball not bouncing or running true (because of course it does this on all grass pitches) and teams having an advantage at home because of this (because all grass pitches have the same bounce and run) etc.

i can understand players saying its worse on the joints and bones (it could be), i can understand players saying that they have to be good condition 3G pitches

but what gets on my tits is players complaining because the ball doesnt run true or whatever, are they having a fucking laugh, 3G surfaces are now at the point where playing passing ball on the deck football is easier than ever before, if the overpaid tits we call pro footballers cannot pass a ball 5 yards on a flat surface as most 3G pitches are, then they should have a look at themselves

Petershill one seems overused if thats possible for 3G pitches lol, its always got some form of training or game on it, so they probably dont put too much into maintenance because of its constant use

Toryglen are fantastic pitches (the indoor is tremendous) glasgow green has 2 good pitches, greenfield is excellent as well when the local weans havent torched it

as for the weather, the council dont have the proper equipment to clear snow off the pitches seemingly, which i crap given how good the pitches are in all other weather conditions

Petershill is just in use constantly I think. There was a 7s game, then us, then a Peasy game. It's no wonder it's gubbed.

Toryglen is decent, but I saw a guy get a horrific injury (properly sick on the pitch) after getting his studs stuck in the turf, which gave me the fear!

Petershill is just in use constantly I think. There was a 7s game, then us, then a Peasy game. It's no wonder it's gubbed.

Toryglen is decent, but I saw a guy get a horrific injury (properly sick on the pitch) after getting his studs stuck in the turf, which gave me the fear!

What kind of studs?

id hazard a guess that he was wearing bladed boots, they are dreadful for artificial surfaces, but yeah studs getting caught is the worst

What kind of studs?

id hazard a guess that he was wearing bladed boots, they are dreadful for artificial surfaces, but yeah studs getting caught is the worst

No idea, it was an ammys game that was on after us that I'd stayed to watch. Probably blades, but Christ. I barely wanted to play after that, no idea how players build up the confidence after suffering horrific leg breaks and the like :yucky

Another Sevco fud complaining today in the Sun

Rangers defender Rob Kiernan claims plastic pitches have no place in the Scottish game, saying they give an advantage to home teams who play regularly on synthetic surfaces.(Scottish Sun)

Has he spotted the training pitch at Murray Park?

WORK is well underway on the installation of a new artificial pitch at Murray Park similar to some of those Rangers have been playing league games on both this season and last.
Having the new park will allow the first team to prepare on it ahead of competitive fixtures as more and more synthetic surfaces replace grass equivalents at grounds around the country.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/new-pitch-laid-at-mp/

No idea, it was an ammys game that was on after us that I'd stayed to watch. Probably blades, but Christ. I barely wanted to play after that, no idea how players build up the confidence after suffering horrific leg breaks and the like :yucky

I'm sure some of the "pros" will say different but why would you wear studs or blades? Rubber soled astro trainers are made for the surface and give adequate grip. They present less of an injury hazard as well.

Rangers defender Rob Kiernan claims plastic pitches have no place in the Scottish game, saying they give an advantage to home teams who play regularly on synthetic surfaces.(Scottish Sun)

Laughable nonsense. It implies that all grass pitches are the same, because if they all were different then surely all teams would have a slight advantage on their home pitch going by that logic?

Knowing a couple of areas where the ball might hold up or run faster or bounce different is hardly going to win teams games.

Why is shit like this peddled by morons who just ape what they've heard accepted by so many?

It's always brilliant when players who train on an artificial surface complain that having an artificial surface gives another club an unfair advantage.

Anyway, in five years the majority of clubs in the SPFL will have artificial surfaces. There'll be a few clubs who'll stick to grass as long as they can - I expect Morton will be one of them as we're lucky enough to have a groundsman who has our pitch in excellent condition all year round and unlucky enough that there are so many artificial pitches in Inverclyde now that we probably wouldn't make any money out of one - but the majority will switch. They won't descend into a quagmire the way many pitches currently do over the course of a season, while most clubs will be able to use it to train and also make additional revenue from renting it out.

In 10 years time you won't hear players complaining about injuries because they'll be so used to it and there'll be a mountain of proof that injuries aren't any more common on them, dismissing the current claims made by players with no evidence. For example, Steven MacLean - is there any proof his recurring injury was actually caused by an artificial surface and that it wouldn't have happened on grass anyway? Could it not just be a coincidence that it's reoccurred when he's been an artificial pitch?

I particularly enjoyed his suggestion that "the flight of the ball is different on an artificial pitch". :blink:

Yep, it's a bugger the way they affect the very air above them for about 20 to 30 yards upwards!

I never understand the "unfair advantages" thing. There is no requirement for clubs to have grass pitches of a specified dimension - indeed they do not even need to be flat - nor does the grass have to be of a certain type or cut to certain lengths. Then you have the variables of how much watering they get given, what condition they're in (everything from mud-bath to dusty), how well they are maintained, how worn out they get depending on how many games are played on them, and so on.

In principle an artificial pitch is actually more consistent than all of that: they are subject to annual testing, there are only a set number of specifications and dimensions, and they don't materially change over the course of a season.

Of course artificial pitches are different from grass pitches, but grass pitches can wildly differ from each other and over time.

They have been of great benefit to many clubs in Scotland from the top level right down to the very bottom, for the many reasons already stated on the thread.

Unfortunately, that doesn't matter a jot to the Old Firm Centric thinking in this country. :rolleyes:

Archived