General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 11/02/2023 at 08:12, DeeTillEhDeh said:

In comparison, teachers in Scotland are on 1/80ths - I think it will be similar in other public sector pension schemes.

Yeah, Universities are similar, USS is 1/75th career average and there is a salary cap then anything above that goes into a defined contribution pot.

I'm genuinely surprised politicians pensions are so generous it must cost an absolute fortune. 

On 11/02/2023 at 08:12, DeeTillEhDeh said:

In comparison, teachers in Scotland are on 1/80ths - I think it will be similar in other public sector pension schemes.

The local government pension scheme used to be based on 1/80th of final salary for every year worked. However, it changed in 2015, and is now based on 1/49th of your average salary for each year, adjusted for inflation.

The teachers one is also a career average these days*, which is fair enough even though it effectively penalises me. Seen a fair few absolute dunderheids getting cushy depute head jobs for a couple of years before retiring where it looked like the reasoning was get the Auld duffer out the classroom where he's useless and give him a boost to the pension while he's at it. 

* Of course it's not that simple as there was a legal challenge about people who missed out on various benefits and some people remain on final salary, the newer staff are on average salary and a lot of people are now on two separate schemes which is a little of A and a little of B.

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The teachers one is also a career average these days*, which is fair enough even though it effectively penalises me. Seen a fair few absolute dunderheids getting cushy depute head jobs for a couple of years before retiring where it looked like the reasoning was get the Auld duffer out the classroom where he's useless and give him a boost to the pension while he's at it. 

* Of course it's not that simple as there was a legal challenge about people who missed out on various benefits and some people remain on final salary, the newer staff are on average salary and a lot of people are now on two separate schemes which is a little of A and a little of B.

Yeah, my final pension will be based on nearly 30 years of final salary contributions plus however many years I do on average salary contributions between 2015 & retirement.

25 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.cd2552652074603a3fcc06fb79fde593.png

The elections in Monaco were a bit one sided. The UNM is a political list of three different right wing parties for anyone curious.

I'm guessing the vote is restricted to those with Monaco passports which are very hard to get hold of even for ultra wealthy expat tax dodgers, so right wing might be taking a curve here, given that they get massively subsidised housing, free education and healthcare and priority for all the best jobs, a bit like the Gulf states. 

Edited by welshbairn

On 12/02/2023 at 11:15, Trogdor said:

Yeah, Universities are similar, USS is 1/75th career average and there is a salary cap then anything above that goes into a defined contribution pot.

I'm genuinely surprised politicians pensions are so generous it must cost an absolute fortune. 

I was pretty sure my wife's pension was based on 1/40 over the career average. I'll have to check tonight.

18 hours ago, sophia said:

It looks like these are the days that are the last we'll share with Jimmy Carter and it is my view that we'll be the poorer when he slips away.

Aye, Jimmy was a mess as a President, not helped by a truly f**ked economy, but as a human being, he was a superstar.

He lost it over the Iran hostage drama, didn't sleep for ages and came up with a story about being attacked by a swimming and flying rabbit whilst out on a boat. He made up for it being by far the greatest ex-President though. There were rumours that Reagan got a deal done with Tehran not to release the hostages until after the election.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

He lost it over the Iran hostage drama, didn't sleep for ages and came up with a story about being attacked by a swimming and flying rabbit whilst out on a boat. He made up for it being by far the greatest ex-President though. There were rumours that Reagan got a deal done with Tehran not to release the hostages until after the election.

Apparently the aquatic attack bunny was probably real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Very glad to see you back, have to admit to being a bit worried during your recent sabbatical. Thank you for the clarification on the terrifying rabbit incident.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Very glad to see you back, have to admit to being a bit worried during your recent sabbatical. Thank you for the clarification on the terrifying rabbit incident.

Aw, I missed you too. Didn't realise how long it had been. I think my son will likely leave a message on "that bovril site you like" upon my demise.

I'm sure I remember reading a Snopes article about Carter's unstoppable lepus machine, but the CIA seem to have removed it  :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I seem to remember something about the attack rabbit being a punishment from God for him listing in his heart…but I’m probably mixing it up.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

He made up for it being by far the greatest ex-President though.

It’s not as high a bar as you’d think, but he is a genuinely good person. Amazingly, George W. Is running him a pretty good second right now, much to everyone’s surprise.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Aw, I missed you too. Didn't realise how long it had been. I think my son will likely leave a message on "that bovril site you like" upon my demise.

I'm sure I remember reading a Snopes article about Carter's unstoppable lepus machine, but the CIA seem to have removed it  :ph34r:

Surely it’s worth ginning up a post flaming everyone you’ve ever wished to and telling the lad to post it when you’re gone?

Just now, TxRover said:

Surely it’s worth ginning up a post flaming everyone you’ve ever wished to and telling the lad to post it when you’re gone?

AGaJwxW60SwD.gif

Spoiler

Nah, I'll tell him to make sure the mysterious array of hard drives he's been forbidden to go near goes to a good home.

image.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

It’s not as high a bar as you’d think, but he is a genuinely good person. Amazingly, George W. Is running him a pretty good second right now, much to everyone’s surprise.

George Dubya would still be top of everyone's worst ever President list if it wasn't for Trump, that shocking comparison is the only thing that's rehabilitated him. His Dad was way better.