General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Sure...

I'd bet a lot of money on it. Pensioners are a huge part of the Tory voting bloc. Ultimately I think we should have scrapped the triple lock years ago. The state pension should be linked to the CPI alone.

22 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I see the U.K. has its first transgender parliamentarian.

Good for them. Takes a lot of bravery for them to come out in the current media and political landscape around transgender people. 

Really good to see, sickening that Johnston opened the Conservative party party last night with an Anti-Trans joke with them in attendance.

27 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I see the U.K. has its first transgender parliamentarian.

Good for them. Takes a lot of bravery for them to come out in the current media and political landscape around transgender people. 

Aside from coming out, sounds like they have had a bad time of it recently. 

On 24/03/2022 at 18:25, DMCs said:

The state pension is linked to inflation, in fact more than that as it's triple locked, it's just been paused for a couple years as the pandemic caused some weird distortions. Ultimately pensioners have more disposable income than those actually working and it's National Insurance that's rising to pay for the £400bn pandemic debt so it seems to me that pensioners have it good.

If the triple lock is reinstated and kept then todays pensioners will benefit a bit but future pensioners will benefit even more. 

It's a bit short sighted to argue for its removal because some pensioners have more assets than most young people. 

I agree that the putting the fiscal burden on working people is unfair. But there are a huge number of pensioners whose only income is the state pension. 

Putting more of them in poverty won't help the people on lower benefits or in low paid work. It would also mean that those people have poverty to look forward to in retirement. 

Raising benefits and wages would help. 

Reducing taxes on earned income and taxing capital gains, unearned income and wealth is a much better answer than fighting for a bigger share of the crumbs. 

Here's a pension inequality for you: if you die with unused pension funds, they are outside of inheritance tax. So you can accumulate wealth tax free and pass it on tax free so long as you have enough money to do that. If you're properly rich you can live off your iht estate and not touch your pension.

Let's get that money in the system before condemning ourselves to poverty out of envy. 

20 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If the triple lock is reinstated and kept then todays pensioners will benefit a bit but future pensioners will benefit even more. 

It's already been announced that it will be reinstated next financial year. Unfortunate in my view as it was a good opportunity to scrap it but pensioners are a big voting block. 

There is no guarantee that the triple lock will exist in 40-50 years and in fact there is no guarantee that the state pension will exist at all. With the way the demographic pyramid is looking and with the birth rates what they are it's just not sustainable in any way. The Edinburgh metro area has the lowest birth rates of any metro area of over 800k people in Europe.

I'm certainly not including any assumed state pension in my retirement planning and neither would I advise anyone else in my age cohort does as well. I'd rather that working people had more money in their own pockets now so that they can raise a family.

It's a bit short sighted to argue for its removal because some pensioners have more assets than most young people. 

Not just some. The vast, vast majority have more assets than not only what we might consider young people but working age people in general. Not only that but they genuinely have more post housing cost income than working age people at the 20th percentile, the median and the 80th percentile. 

They don't need a large % increase to their benefits in the main. 

Sure some are struggling which is why the best policy would be the elimination of the universal state pension system entirely and simply move to a means tested system.

Raising benefits and wages would help. 

Inflation is the highest it's been since I was born, we're in a global energy crisis that is only going to get worse with the Russian situation, now we are in a global commodity price crisis and we just went £400bn into debt to deal with COVID. The only way we are going to see rising wages is with economic growth and we just raised taxes by £15bn then immediately blew half of that revenue on giving pensioners money that most of them don't really need so that the Tories don't get voted out. It's absurd.

Edited by DMCs

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Is Jamie announcing their intention to transition male to female or that they already transitioned female to male? I’m confused by what pronouns I should be using here. 

Just stick with Tory bástard.  It will cover all options and be factually descriptive.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Is Jamie announcing their intention to transition male to female or that they already transitioned female to male? I’m confused by what pronouns I should be using here. 

They/them seems fair until they say different.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Talking of Tory p***ks/c***s

Was just about to post this.

I promise myself not to get wound up by these c***s but it is difficult.  They are genuinely obnoxious people who are totally blind to their lack of humanity.

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

Here's a pension inequality for you: if you die with unused pension funds, they are outside of inheritance tax. So you can accumulate wealth tax free and pass it on tax free so long as you have enough money to do that. If you're properly rich you can live off your iht estate and not touch your pension.

To be pedantic, the pension pot is only untaxed if the person dies before they are 75. Once they are 75 the person receiving the money from the pension pot pays tax on it at their normal rate. There are also other limits on the size of the pot that means if the pot is big enough over the lifetime of the pension, tax will also be paid, so it's not as simple as just saying it gets passed on tax free.

33 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

To be pedantic, the pension pot is only untaxed if the person dies before they are 75. Once they are 75 the person receiving the money from the pension pot pays tax on it at their normal rate. There are also other limits on the size of the pot that means if the pot is big enough over the lifetime of the pension, tax will also be paid, so it's not as simple as just saying it gets passed on tax free.

Being limited to putting £40k in any given year in the pot (or an average of £20k to £25k a year over a working life) is really not going to affect most people. And i'm pretty sure it escapes inheritance tax whatever age you die at. 

It's an excellent tax planning tool for the fairly wealthy, but won't shelter billions. That's what non dom status and crown dependencies are for. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Being limited to putting £40k in any given year in the pot (or an average of £20k to £25k a year over a working life) is really not going to affect most people. And i'm pretty sure it escapes inheritance tax whatever age you die at. 

It's an excellent tax planning tool for the fairly wealthy, but won't shelter billions. That's what non dom status and crown dependencies are for. 

No Soapy is right regarding the 75 age thing.  That’s twice you’ve been wrong today.

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Pretty sure it's income tax the recipients pay after 75, not iht. 

And utd are dundee's wee team

It is income tax.  Cove Rangers are Aberdeen’s big team.

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Pretty sure it's income tax the recipients pay after 75, not iht. 

And utd are dundee's wee team

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear but that's what I meant.

As for your other comment about people contributing 20-25K a year over their working life, that is far more than most normal people will pay. However just because you don't pay that amount into your pension doesn't mean you you won't end up with a sizeable pension pot. A quick back of the packet spread sheet shows that someone earning £25K now, assuming normal'ish pension contributions from both the employee and employer, an annual pay rise of 1-2% and a conservative pension growth of 3%, means that at the end of their working life (45 years) they would have a pension pot of at least £500K.

My point is people talk about large pension pots as if they are exclusively for the rich, but many many people earning 'normal' wages will end up with large pension pots, on which they they then have to live off for the rest of their lives. So when people talk about the need to tax the 'rich' who are sheltering money in their pensions, all that will happen is the 'normal' person will get hit, as the 'rich' will use other means to shelter money (as there is limit of just over £1m over the lifetime of the pension before other taxes kick in). Remember, of that pot only 25% can be taken out tax free, the rest is subject to normal income tax rules, so if you decide to suddenly withdraw a large amount from your pension, you will get hit with a lot of tax.