General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Attlee was probably the least charismatic politician in British history but accomplished more than any other in his short rule, and under huge financial restraints. Johnson might end up being even more Churchillian than he thinks, post Covid everyone might start thinking it's time for a fresh start. Problem is, although even more uncharismatic, Starmer is no Atlee, nowhere near it.

"A modest man with much to be modest about"

25 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Any government that wins under the present system is unlikely to introduce a system of voting which would stop them getting in government again, imo

That is probably true if it is a majority government.

I was thinking more in terms of a coalition where one of the conditions for the coalition was a reform of the existing system.

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I was thinking more in terms of a coalition where one of the conditions for the coalition was a reform of the existing system.

That would work, allright

36 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

^^^ Nick Clegg.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^ Nick Clegg.

He was totally crap at it all.  Give him a badge that says "Deputy Prime Minister" and let him sit beside big Dave and he was happy.

They sold themselves cheap and suffered accordingly.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Attlee was probably the least charismatic politician in British history but accomplished more than any other in his short rule, and under huge financial restraints. Johnson might end up being even more Churchillian than he thinks, post Covid everyone might start thinking it's time for a fresh start. Problem is, although even more uncharismatic, Starmer is no Atlee, nowhere near it.

Never mind Max Headroom - just wait for the first PMQs of the year. Look at the Opposition front bench, and weep.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

He was totally crap at it all.  Give him a badge that says "Deputy Prime Minister" and let him sit beside big Dave and he was happy.

They sold themselves cheap and suffered accordingly.

Yip, and through time many people forget whilst others were quite happy so long as they kept Labour out.

57 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

In to the giant memory hole alongside all the other Iraq war stuff.

Sir Tony is a good boy and we won't hear a bad word said about him.

On 04/01/2022 at 09:16, Jacksgranda said:

"A modest man with much to be modest about"

"An empty taxi pulled up outside 10 Downing St and Mr Atlee got out".

A man with a plan who essentially ran Britain during the war (while yer man took care of the war business) and didn't f**k about giving a shit if he was personally liked by the public or not.

I'd bite your hand off for that right now.

On 04/01/2022 at 00:50, welshbairn said:

Was Britain still making a profit from the Empire after WW2? Not arguing, I just thought they were only trying to keep hold of it for prestige reasons rather than continued pillaging, and it was getting more expensive to police than was worth the bother. 

On 04/01/2022 at 07:44, renton said:

Britain was bankrupt at wars end, indeed was basically running on lend lease loans after 42.

The Empire had been an economic drain on Britain since the 1920s, which may explain some of the speed on the British side to establish Indian independence.

Around the same time as Atlee established the welfare state, Britain was still demobilising a significantly large armed forces, while providing occupation forces for Germany and Japan, helping feed Germany, enforcing a UN mandate in Palestine and also setting up their own nuclear weapons programme.

Britain weren't sending forces into places like Malaya at great expense purely for prestige reasons they had tons to make from shit like rubber and tin. I cannae mind if it's Edgerton or someone else who makes the argument that Malaya alone offered greater export potential than native British goods combined.

So according to this, one of the plans to help families struggling with their energy bills is to increase the Warm Home Discount from £140 to £150 per year, and to increase the scope of who is eligible. So, according to BJ, the removal of VAT on fuel bills isn't a good idea, but it seems the increase of the Warm Home Discount is. Could this be because it is not the government that pays for it, but rather all other households who pay a social levy on their fuel bills to finance it. It's always good to come up with a solution that doesn't decrease your tax take, and lumps the cost onto all other 'families that can afford to pay extra'.

It should be two pronged. Increase the WHD so those that qualify get the help, but also cut VAT on fuel so those on the WHD scheme get additional help, whilst those who actually finance it get help towards the levy that will no doubt be increased, and towards their own higher bills.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What’s with Div’s pinned thread?  I’ve obviously missed something.

The mods are clearly fed up with being bombarded with "Granny Danger said bum to me" messages, so have warned everyone that snitches get stitches.

I think that's the only reasonable reading of that.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

The mods are clearly fed up with being bombarded with "Granny Danger said bum to me" messages, so have warned everyone that snitches get stitches.

I think that's the only reasonable reading of that.

OK, I promise I won’t say bum to you anymore.

The name of Christine Lee has been flagged up by the security services as an active agent of the Chinese goverment.

Warning emails have been sent out to members of both the Commons and Lords by the speakers of both Houses.

Not good news at all bit no surprise that the Chinese goverment have managed to get someone in there either.

20220113_141453.jpg

Edited by CaspianChris