General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

but the general attitude towards strike action is definitely, "it's completely unacceptable if it affects me in any way".

Just like the general consensus appears to be that, if someone discovers that workers in a unionised business have better pay/shorter working hours/longer tea breaks/more annual leave, the answer is, "I don't get any of that, they should have it taken off them".

The venn diagram of these two groups is a circle.

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm too young to know if it was ever any different, but the general attitude towards strike action is definitely, "it's completely unacceptable if it affects me in any way".

Just like the general consensus appears to be that, if someone discovers that workers in a unionised business have better pay/shorter working hours/longer tea breaks/more annual leave, the answer is, "I don't get any of that, they should have it taken off them".

There is absolutely a decline in the general intelligence of the populace which doesn't realise (or wilfully ignores)that all those benefits you mention have been fought for, and won, by concerted action by TUs. You're certainly not going to get them from employers without a fight, and there's no stomach for IA amongst a generation conditioned to tug the forelock and believe that they're fortunate to have been kept from the streets by their MW, 0-hrs job.

Much easier to punch down at brown people trying to escape war zones than punch up at an Establishment which sees Nineteen Eighty Four as an instruction manual rather than a warning.

39 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The Partick Thistle defence.

"But but but we had to build a 10,000 seater stadium, so should The Caley eh?"

Utter fucking rat behaviour. 

Surely the Covid/NHS adulation stuff was primest of prime examples of this behaviour. 

April 2020: WE MUST SO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO HELP OUR BRAVE NURSES AND CARE WORKERS

December 2020: WHY ARE THEY GETTING £500? I WORK IN TOP SHOP, WHERE'S MY £500. I'M A KEY WORKER TOO!!!111

36 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm too young to know if it was ever any different, but the general attitude towards strike action is definitely, "it's completely unacceptable if it affects me in any way".

I don't think there's such a thing as general opinion, there are lots of different views. Some people are supportive and others not.

I think it used to be more finely balanced but now trade unionism is more niche the unwitting lackeys of capitalism are in the majority. 

Just now, coprolite said:

I don't think there's such a thing as general opinion, there are lots of different views. Some people are supportive and others not.

I think it used to be more finely balanced but now trade unionism is more niche the unwitting lackeys of capitalism are in the majority. 

I've said for a long time now this is due in large part to Trade Unions steadfast refusal to drag themselves into the 21st century. This should be boomtime for union membership. 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I've said for a long time now this is due in large part to Trade Unions steadfast refusal to drag themselves into the 21st century. This should be boomtime for union membership. 

I don't disagree but i think the biggest factor is globalisation. Uk workforce goes on strike- do workers get a payrise? Nope, factory closes and reopens in Bulgaria.  

Just now, coprolite said:

I don't disagree but i think the biggest factor is globalisation. Uk workforce goes on strike- do workers get a payrise? Nope, factory closes and reopens in Bulgaria.  

Yeah but trade union members are paid on average 10% more than their non union equivalents. Thats not all been earned through militant action. Its about having a seat at the table and not just gulping down whatever is shovelled your way. Negotiation etc etc. Strikes should be as far from the mind of a union rep as they are from the company at the onset of any negotiation. I personally don't think unions have done enough to encourage that mindset, which would help bring their image more in line with younger folks today. Its never all going to rosey all the time of course, but for me we really dont do ourselves too many favours at a time where making people aware that having a voice is not only beneficial, but easily acheivable, should be like shooting fish ina barrel. 

47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah but trade union members are paid on average 10% more than their non union equivalents. Thats not all been earned through militant action. Its about having a seat at the table and not just gulping down whatever is shovelled your way. Negotiation etc etc. Strikes should be as far from the mind of a union rep as they are from the company at the onset of any negotiation. I personally don't think unions have done enough to encourage that mindset, which would help bring their image more in line with younger folks today. Its never all going to rosey all the time of course, but for me we really dont do ourselves too many favours at a time where making people aware that having a voice is not only beneficial, but easily acheivable, should be like shooting fish ina barrel. 

Yes. I'm not in a union anymore- not really a thing in my sector - but when i was most of what we did was about diversity and equality. I'd have thought that would be something the youngsters would get on board with. 

Have the Lib Dems given up? I've not seen anything from them recently at a time when it should be an open goal for the opposition parties.  So bad that I just had to Google "lib dem leader" to remind myself of who it actually was.  

On 13/11/2021 at 13:37, tamthebam said:

It's actually quite hard to have a strike now unless you're very confident of a majority for action in a majority turnout in a ballot.

My wife has voted for strike action for the last 3 years after below inflation pay offers. Each time the majority who vote are in favour but the turnout never breaks 50%.

EIS.

13 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

My wife has voted for strike action for the last 3 years after below inflation pay offers. Each time the majority who vote are in favour but the turnout never breaks 50%.

EIS.

A dildo in her dead arse.

(not your wife; I'm sure she's lovely)

On 15/11/2021 at 07:16, Hedgecutter said:

Have the Lib Dems given up? I've not seen anything from them recently at a time when it should be an open goal for the opposition parties.  So bad that I just had to Google "lib dem leader" to remind myself of who it actually was.  

Well don’t keep us in suspense - who is it? We need to know who our next Prime Minister is. 

68BD8030-9F77-48D2-8319-A00C453F70DC.png

11 hours ago, Antlion said:

Well don’t keep us in suspense - who is it? We need to know who our next Prime Minister is. 

68BD8030-9F77-48D2-8319-A00C453F70DC.png

It's amazing that in less than two years Swinson has gone from our next PM to being the answer to a tie-break question in a pub quiz or, perhaps more appropriately, a Pointless answer where the category is "Leaders of major* UK political parties in the 21st century"

*No sniggering at the back now..

Just noticed that Andrew Marr is leaving the BBC to join LBC. 

Not the first to do this of course, but just like Eddie Mair, James O'Brien and others, he wants to have the opportunity to express his own opinions rather than those of the govt appointed board of governors, and the DG.

What a shambles of an organisation.