General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I dunno, they actually tried to set up a specifically 'anti woke' tv channel, unfortunately for them, it's a rolling bin fire.

The culture wars are and will continue to be central to the right's political projects. It will be used to divert attention from the government's increasing authoritarianism and clown shoes performances and used to silence the controlled opposition.

46 minutes ago, BFTD said:

"Marxist" is such an odd insult. I see that's occasionally being thrown at Biden in the US, which is hilarious.

You think they'd head straight for "Stalinist". Most folk would agree that he was a c**t.

I’m glad you wrote most and not all.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I’m glad you wrote most and not all.

Big fan personally, as I've been massively prejudiced against Ukraine since the 2006 World Cup.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

"Marxist" is such an odd insult. I see that's occasionally being thrown at Biden in the US, which is hilarious.

You think they'd head straight for "Stalinist". Most folk would agree that he was a c**t.

Is it? I got the impression it was broader than that; more of a replacement for "virtue signaller".

Because, as you'll know, we all secretly hold their abhorrent views, but don't want to admit it.

"liberal" as an insult, especially in murica, has always struck me as strange; liberal pretty much means you're in favour of trying to make progressive, forward thinking decisions doesnt it?? the dictionary definition certainly suggests so when i looked it up, so why is it seen as a massive insult?

Maybe in america its some kind of "them liberals can take my .50 cal murderrifle from me over my COLD DEAD HANDS" thing, idk.

19 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

At least back in the 20th century the Cold Warriors were scared of communists from the big bad Soviets whereas now everyone's scared of effeminate Marxist academics who are corrupting your children. Lame as f**k.

You see, this kind of cavalier attitude is exactly why GB News proposed hiding cameras in schools to secretly record the true danger those effeminate Marxist academics are exposing our kids to. #ivedonetheresearch 

16 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

do people use it that much? the impression is given theres some sort of culture war going on but it deosnt seem like that to me in the "real" world opposed to some internet, social media shite thats even then is hardly anyone

I don't know anyone in the real world who has conversations about "woke", "virtue signalling", "Gammons" etc etc but in the world of social media and even our mainstream media it seems that our middle classes are holding these proxy battles using the rest of "normal" society.

Personally I believe that so called "celebrities", "pressure groups" and other groups of rich influential people have far too much coverage and far too much say in how Governments and Business are being run and that's what happens when you have populists in power I'm afraid.

The other major problem is that nobody is willing to listen to a contrarian view nor are they willing to debate or compromise, it's all me, me me, I'm right and you're wrong sort of stuff and in today's world that tends to manifest itself as mob rule and witch hunts unfortunately.

The really sad part is that lots of the trivial stuff totally detracts and deflects attention from the really serious matters which require action, however maybe that's been the plan all along.......

Its a good diversion tactic by the right as in a way its got the online left fighting their battles for them, you can just imagine some right wing think tank thinking it up 

im not sure if im correct but a few of the online left I know couldnt be more capitalist and consumer driven in every other aspect of their life, though that may be just my small window on things and thats not widespread but it does for me make it feel quite empty sloganeering at times with little real substance that could actually drive real change

The online right appear just to be enraged about everything

Edited by BigDoddyKane

6 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Its a good diversion tactic by the right as in a way its got the online left fighting their battles for them, you can just imagine some right wing think tank thinking it up 

im not sure if im correct but a few of the online left I know couldnt be more capitalist and consumer driven in every other aspect of their life, though that may be just my small window on things and thats not widespread but it does for me make it feel quite empty sloganeering at times with little real substance that could actually drive real change

Starmer has made it abundantly clear that in order to win they need to behave as a centre right party (similar to New Labour under Blair) and that "winning" is far more important than sticking to your core principles and ideology, hence the reason Labour are now a busted flush with no real direction or anything which sets them apart from the Tories.

Love them or loathe them, at least Corbyn and McDonnell knew exactly what their Labour party stood for, irrespective of how the majority of the electorate appeared to feel and at least under them the party had a reason for being, unlike now.

The really worrying thing is that all parties seem to be following the same populist agendas which makes it a complete farce and also has many people totally disillusioned, myself included.

I really don't know what the answer is but something will need to change, that's for sure.

14 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Good doc on Blair and Brown on BBC4. Seems a long time ago that the Labour party had political heavyweights in their ranks that could win elections. Ultimately they were on the wrong side of history but did some good. 

Saw that too. Maybe lookimg back through history they are heavyweights, but maybe at the time less so, bit what you did see was that you could probably name 90% of the labour guys. I'm guessing most folk would struggle to name many of the opposition now not much of the government over the last 10 years prior to this clusterfuck.

Seems like they had an ideology and went for it and were able to take advantage of a sitting government in chaos. Labour just can't seem to do that currently. 

56 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Saw that too. Maybe lookimg back through history they are heavyweights, but maybe at the time less so, bit what you did see was that you could probably name 90% of the labour guys. I'm guessing most folk would struggle to name many of the opposition now not much of the government over the last 10 years prior to this clusterfuck.

Seems like they had an ideology and went for it and were able to take advantage of a sitting government in chaos. Labour just can't seem to do that currently. 

I watched that too and there are parallels between then and now in terms of New Labour. Then, as now, there was a manifestly right wing tory party driven by ideology rather than centrist pragmatism.

Presenting an alternative which was also based on ideology but this time manifestly left wing didn't cut it. 

I think we saw something similar under Corbyn - spurred on by the media (as in 1983). 

Setting aside foreign policy issues, Blair represented "don't rock the boat" capitalism with a bit more focus on socially just policies. That fitted middle England like a glove against a tired Tory govt. 

I think Starmer sees that approach as most likely to produce a result this time round. His challenge is that he's nowhere near as competent as Blair was in getting messages across. 

Oh, and Scotland's lost to Labour for as far into the future as I can see. 

14 hours ago, NotThePars said:

At least back in the 20th century the Cold Warriors were scared of communists from the big bad Soviets whereas now everyone's scared of effeminate Marxist academics who are corrupting your children. Lame as f**k.

I believe the authorities are keeping a close watch on these subversive Marxists..

f4c9de20f3ab843593241907aa73b54c67caf241.jpg.1689973b8ec4d1609394a83eb6af5a69.jpg

This poor gent has done more to hold the Tories to account in 5 minutes than Sir Keith has done during the entirety of his leadership. Truly horrible seeing both the guys obvious despair and that rat c**t Rees-Mogg’s attempts to essentially dismiss him.