General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

16 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've started watching The West Wing. I don't think I can handle 150 episodes of this style of dialogue.

The Bartlett presidency: 8 years of smug p***ks achieving nothing.

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Tbf to Sorkin that is an accurate portrayal of the centrist Liberal dream 

I guess it reflects Sorkin's own healthy ego on the impact of words, but it was always a case of one good speech and it's like heaven and earth moved. So long as the audience applauds the state of the union, then Bartlett is assumed to be brilliant. c**t achieved f**k all though.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

I guess it reflects Sorkin's own healthy ego on the impact of words, but it was always a case of one good speech and it's like heaven and earth moved. So long as the audience applauds the state of the union, then Bartlett is assumed to be brilliant. c**t achieved f**k all though.

There's a podcast called The West Wing Thing where they go through the series assessing the politics of it. Becomes a bit stale but the initial episodes are funny. 

The craziest thing about it is one of the last defences people have of it is that it was "the first of the golden age of tv" but it premiered 8 months after the sopranos. It doesn't even have the hilariously bad moments of Newsroom, just a miserable dreadful show with some good actors. 

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

There's a podcast called The West Wing Thing where they go through the series assessing the politics of it. Becomes a bit stale but the initial episodes are funny. 

The craziest thing about it is one of the last defences people have of it is that it was "the first of the golden age of tv" but it premiered 8 months after the sopranos. It doesn't even have the hilariously bad moments of Newsroom, just a miserable dreadful show with some good actors. 

The verbal/ dialogue ticks annoy me. 

The way all conversations start with a lighthearted anecdote. Conversation gets heavy, brief pause.... reiterate light anecdote from start of conversation, leave.

Or Richard Schiff, who I like a lot as an actor getting stuck with the "mumble quietly, LOUD NOISES...moment of stunned silence as if surprised by own conviction.... reiterate point more quietly/end"

Fast dialogue so you worry you might have missed something, but when you play it back you never have. A programme that might have invented the term "virtue signalling" and the stars and stripes as a religion if they had any level of self awareness. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/08/post-grenfell-fire-safety-leaseholders-risk-being-fleeced-warns-judith-hackitt

Surprise surprise, just another opportunity for some to make more money. This will never be sorted out as too many people in power stand to lose too much.

It's funny how if a car manufacturer identifies a safety issue with a car it is liable to fix it, no matter who owns the car or how old the car is. But with a building it's the poor sod who sits in it that seems to be liable. Too many vested interests above the owner, so all the crap drops down.

7 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I’d love to see the courts reverse this.  Regardless she will still be the love child of the the gammons.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d love to see the courts reverse this.  Regardless she will still be the love child of the the gammons.

I'm so cynical now, I wouldn't put it past her to do something like this in the full knowledge that it would be reversed later.

Not sure where to put this but an interesting clip and thread. A woman becomes out of control opposing a housing development in her sleepy, untouched hamlet of *checks notes* Camden.

The thread has the development in it - it’s hardly building a giant tower block. This stuff is endemic all over England, and it’s also present in Scotland. It has a big impact on politics and I’m we are starting to see it bleed through into elections. The recent Lib Dem by election win came from opposing HS2 and the Greens are picking up council seats in the South of England. You can see in that thread examples of Greens backing NIMBYs. Interesting one to watch.

Not sure where to put this but an interesting clip and thread. A woman becomes out of control opposing a housing development in her sleepy, untouched hamlet of *checks notes* Camden.

The thread has the development in it - it’s hardly building a giant tower block. This stuff is endemic all over England, and it’s also present in Scotland. It has a big impact on politics and I’m we are starting to see it bleed through into elections. The recent Lib Dem by election win came from opposing HS2 and the Greens are picking up council seats in the South of England. You can see in that thread examples of Greens backing NIMBYs. Interesting one to watch.

The reverse to this, and maybe my biggest bugbear, is people moving into areas and immediately launching noise complaints and getting historic venues shut down. I think that’s how Plastic People shut down.