General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Official photo from downing street this evening...the prime minister of.....

FB_IMG_1625248539035.jpg

To be fair, I've not got a problem with that. It's an honest image - not something you can say very often about him. 

On 01/07/2021 at 17:51, carpetmonster said:

Mhairi Black with an excellent speech today - 

I listened to that and it's a good speech if you can get over its imbecilic opening.  Were I listening to it 'live' I'd simply write her off as another ignorant Natter tosspot.

Sadly, elsewhere on social media the guts of her remarks have been ignored as she set the agenda in the first 10 seconds.

No idea why she chose to do that.

On 01/07/2021 at 23:24, Baxter Parp said:

Conservatives’ susceptibility to political misperceptions

Consistent with other studies, we find that American conservatives are more likely than liberals to hold misperceptions. 

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/23/eabf1234

American conservatives are gullible fuckwits.  QED.

Holds true for the UK, obviously.  See: Brexit.

Load of...! 

All Americans are. 

Then back here, there are the Wullie Wallace brigade! 

😂

This seems to be a trend this year. Here and in America big companies, banks and hedge funds are buying up property to rent out.

Not a good sign for average punters and as I've said elsewhere the impossibility of future growth will push capital from production/services towards rent extraction. Expect homeownership rates to decline much faster in this decade than the last. 

https://slate.com/business/2021/06/blackrock-invitation-houses-investment-firms-real-estate.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-06-17/america-should-become-a-nation-of-renters

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 02/07/2021 at 13:57, doulikefish said:
Official photo from downing street this evening...the prime minister of.....
FB_IMG_1625248539035.thumb.jpg.abf167a0ce10af341cee5f950be22811.jpg

No issue with that at all, he is the prime minister of England

Hundred things Scottish people could get upset about with English politicians. Supporting England isn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Hundred things Scottish people could get upset about with English politicians. Supporting England isn't one of them.

Noted, however this is the guy who refused to condemn the knuckledraggers booing their own side for taking the knee. It won’t happen but I would like very much for Southgate and the team to make it very clear he is entirely unwelcome to bask in any reflected glory should England win it. Ditto any tabloid press who want access to Raheem Sterling; they should be told to f**k straight off. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

Noted, however this is the guy who refused to condemn the knuckledraggers booing their own side for taking the knee. It won’t happen but I would like very much for Southgate and the team to make it very clear he is entirely unwelcome to bask in any reflected glory should England win it. Ditto any tabloid press who want access to Raheem Sterling; they should be told to f**k straight off. 

Oh, aye - he's an opportunistic piece of human garbage. But, he is English.

If, however, Murdo Fraser does the same then he can go f**k himself into the sun at a speed human capacity is unable to comprehend.

Oh, wait.

12 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Oh, aye - he's an opportunistic piece of human garbage. But, he is English.

If, however, Murdo Fraser does the same then he can go f**k himself into the sun at a speed human capacity is unable to comprehend.

Oh, wait.

If you want to really annoy Murdo, point out that the Kirin Cup means Scotland have won more tournaments than he has elections. 

13 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

If you want to really annoy Murdo, point out that the Kirin Cup means Scotland have won more tournaments than he has elections. 

Tbf I've met 3 people on P&B and I'd be confident I'd garner at least 2000 more votes than Murdo

17 hours ago, Detournement said:

This seems to be a trend this year. Here and in America big companies, banks and hedge funds are buying up property to rent out.

Not a good sign for average punters and as I've said elsewhere the impossibility of future growth will push capital from production/services towards rent extraction. Expect homeownership rates to decline much faster in this decade than the last. 

https://slate.com/business/2021/06/blackrock-invitation-houses-investment-firms-real-estate.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-06-17/america-should-become-a-nation-of-renters

Agree that this isn't a welcome trend but i disagree that future growth is impossible. 

There is a glut of unproductive capital in the west but we still incentivise capital investment through the tax system like capital is scarce. Meanwhile we have labour shortages but tax labour like its oversupplied. 

Labour would be much more productive at lower income levels if the price wasn't artificially inflated by tax and (paricularly employers') NI. 

You can buy and sell a commercial property portfolio for millions at a tax rate of 20%. Someone on median wages pays the same in marginal* income tax but has NI on top. 

To get a bigger return on money spent on labour you need it to be something like 15% more productive than money spent on property. So even if labour is 10% more productive, the tax system tells you to invest in property. 

Also money in the hands of investors who tend to be better off is more likely to be saved, adding to capital stock and reducing growth multipliers. 

So i don't agree that low growth and capital  flight to low yield assets is inevitable. It's a policy choice. If we prioritised full employment we could grow the economy. 

*tax only, not including loss of benefits or credits. Marginal rate gets higher with that factored in. 

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

fucking thicko.

Funny as.....the actual official scots tories twitter posted similar last night and got roundly laughed at..Maurice never got the memo 

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

😂

One of the comments was "employment at Woolworths lowest ever."

He's not alone.

One poster on here was mewling that pupils were being denied promised laptops

4 hours ago, sophia said:

One poster on here was mewling that pupils were being denied promised laptops

I have no idea what the angle is here. What made it mewling and why were they complaining? Was there any validity to the complaint?

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I have no idea what the angle is here. What made it mewling and why were they complaining? Was there any validity to the complaint?

Kincy was basically laughing at the idea of the SNP actually delivering on their manifesto promises about laptops. Saying it was never going to happen in his usual style. 

I see Sarah Smith has made it onto the BBC rich list hoovering up at least £185k delighted to see that even despite such a nice wedge she's a bitter wee unionist. They say money doesn't make you happy and her coupon is proof of that.