Granny Danger

General Politics Thread

12 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

All that money and he still looks like those old fellas that would take their teeth out and gurn. He seems to have been Khodorkovsky'd.

I see China has sentenced an embezzling bank chief to death with no possible parole for 2 years like usual, interesting happenings.

Death with no parole for 2 years???

4 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Death with no parole for 2 years???

Normally senior folk convicted in China get a death sentence with a 2 year jail term, and at the end of 2 years they appeal the death sentence and it gets commuted to jail instead. This guy didn't get that so he's going to be shot, seems to signal a sterner approach to white collar crime.

Edited by MixuFruit

It should be like a particularly painful version of monopoly where you lose everything and have to start again.

On 04/01/2021 at 17:55, NotThePars said:

You've shared this on here four minutes after it was tweeted out which I'm absolutely fascinated by. How did you find this tweet from some rando from Detroit? Who are they? Who is Jamey Braunstein? Why should anyone be remotely concerned by it?

Im convinced that the men who complain about trans people and act all outraged that they have the audacity to exist are the ones who are privately very much attracted to trans ladies and do the outrage stuff to over compensate. 

23 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im convinced that the men who complain about trans people and act all outraged that they have the audacity to exist are the ones who are privately very much attracted to trans ladies and do the outrage stuff to over compensate. 

The sheer terror that someone, somewhere, might think you've considered putting a penis into your mouth  :o

53 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The sheer terror that someone, somewhere, might think you've considered putting a penis into your mouth  :o

Lolol yeh! Theres a lot of projection from the male anti-trans movement.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

That's just a lazy, cliched argument that is most likely a load of nonsense. 

Those people are just bigots

Nice wee positive story today. This year has hugely raised the profile and influence of living rent.

6 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Nice wee positive story today. This year has hugely raised the profile and influence of living rent.

Living Rent = Good 

However  this does sound like the sort of fantasy island bullshit you would hear from a Momentum member.

If my deposit hadn't been lodged with with a registered deposit scheme i would looking for way more than just the deposit back.

Andrew Neil and the Spectator would've probably been locked up during WWII. Can we do it now?

23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

That's just a lazy, cliched argument that is most likely a load of nonsense. 

Those people are just bigots

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/homophobes-might-be-hidden-homosexuals/

Well it's not a lazy cliche for homophobes. There are multiple studies suggesting this as a factor in homophobia. It isn't a massive stretch to imagine the same goes for transphobes. Maybe not so much that they're attracted to trans people but probably that they're not as secure in their own gender identity as they want to project.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/homophobes-might-be-hidden-homosexuals/
Well it's not a lazy cliche for homophobes. There are multiple studies suggesting this as a factor in homophobia. It isn't a massive stretch to imagine the same goes for transphobes. Maybe not so much that they're attracted to trans people but probably that they're not as secure in their own gender identity as they want to project.

I get this but I also understand why queers are suspicious of straight people who want to quickly dismiss bigots as being in the closet because it can be interpreted as an attempt at deflection.

26 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I get this but I also understand why queers are suspicious of straight people who want to quickly dismiss bigots as being in the closet because it can be interpreted as an attempt at deflection.

Yeah. Like all this stuff the best guess would probably be it's an element of what makes up homophobia/transphobia for some people. As in, the results are significant enough to suggest it's a thing but certainly not the whole story.

Also don't think it excuses or diminishes bigotry in the slightest. Bigotry is probably the result of 'other things' in the vast majority of cases and I don't think any of the causes of it are really excuses.

But yeah, when it comes across as "haha, that means you're actually gay tho" type stuff, it doesn't sit right.

Anyone see this btw?

I actually can't comprehend how this is a thing. 

Is this what detournement was on about when he described uighurs as undeveloped?

22 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Is this what detournement was on about when he described uighurs as undeveloped?

Detournement doesn't know what detournement is in about so there's no chance for the rest of us.

24 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Jesus. H. Christ. 

I seemed to have missed that one, thankfully. 

12 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Jesus. H. Christ. 

I seemed to have missed that one, thankfully. 

On 23/07/2020 at 14:23, Detournement said:

It's not very clear what's happening. The Organisation for Islamic Co-operation looked into it and said the concentration camp allegations aren't true. I don't buy the stories about trying to stamp out Islam due to the number of mosques.

Whatever is going on is obviously something that wouldn't happen in the West but at the same time nowhere in the West presently has large populations which are far less socially developed than the rest of the country. The USSR had similar issues and Russia remains very diverse. 

28 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

And we are through the looking glass.

That'll be me for the night...

14 hours ago, Stormzy said:

Anyone see this btw?

I actually can't comprehend how this is a thing. 

You can read million different articles lauding the introduction of the pill being an emancipatory event for Western women. This is no different. It's the equivalent of women realising that their priest telling them that contraception is a sin is bullshit to control them.