General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Jeff Venom said:

Are you
a) implying I'm condoning violence, and
b ) implying I have no real world experience (which you've previous for. It's stultifyingly ill-informed at best, ignorant and patronising horseshit at worst)?

All anyone is saying is that when a gov is pushing through a bill to suppress PEACEFUL protest, why would anyone be surprised that it gives rise to violence?

It's two separate arguments / discussions, I agree that the Bill shouldn't go through and could have some sinister consequences, however my point at the start which some seemed to take exception to, was that the protest wasn't peaceful and descended into anarchy, while the Police stood by and didn't deal with it, when in my opinion they should have.

In a democratic society you put your trust in the democratically elected Government and you can't just throw the toys out the pram and "hit the streets" destroying property and assaulting people every time you disagree with something.

I wasn't aiming at you specifically (although I did quote your post) as this was simply in response to the quote implying I was a "tory".

This bill is sheep and lamb territory. If you're going to get lifted for being peaceful, you end up encouraging peaceful but passionate people to resist such an approach. That's not to condone those who are hell bent on violent protest  but it creates an easy narrative of "there was no trouble until the police moved in".

Working in mortgage arrears and a lot of folk who have been badly stung by COVID/Brexit are moving back in with parents or renting somewhere cheaper and looking to rent out to cover their mortgage. For most the rent barely covers the mortgage, if at all, and their own rent and/or the other expenses of being a landlord means they're still going into arrears on their mortgage but just not as dramatically. It's a bit of a headache for the teams that deal with this as, usually, you need confirmation that the mortgage is still affordable to allow the switch from a residential to BTL mortgage but home owners are screwed either way. 

3 hours ago, Pato said:

fun times ahead. I was reading an article about BTL landlords and their ability to make a tidy profit off a mortgaged property is getting harder and harder so this should be interesting to watch play out.

As long as demand massively outstrips demand in the UK there won't be a property crash. 

Some investment funds might lose out but post 2008 the banks basically can't lose. 

The definitely not Nationalist Tories take their recent fleg obsession up a notch.

We can't be far off them decreeing that GSTQ has to played before every sporting event.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/union-flag-to-be-flown-daily-on-all-uk-government-buildings?top

The Union flag is to be flown on all UK Government buildings every day in a bid to unite the nation, new guidance has set out.

At present, Union flags are only required to be flown on all UK Government buildings on designated days, but the new guidance from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport will ask for it to be flown all the time in England, Scotland and Wales.

UK Government ministers said the changes would be a “proud reminder of our history and the ties that bind us”.

Housing, communities and local government secretary Robert Jenrick has written to all councils in England in a bid to encourage them to fly the flag on their buildings.

ADVERT

The move will also allow dual flagging – where two flags can be flown on one pole.

It will not affect buildings in Northern Ireland, where Union flag flying is covered by separate legislation.

Culture secretary Oliver Dowden said: “The Union flag unites us as a nation and people rightly expect it to be flown above UK Government buildings.

“This guidance will ensure that happens every day, unless another flag is being flown, as a proud reminder of our history and the ties that bind us.”

ADVERT

Jenrick said: “Our nation’s flag is a symbol of liberty, unity and freedom that creates a shared sense of civic pride.

“People rightly expect to see the Union flag flying high on civic and government buildings up and down the country, as a sign of our local and national identity.

“That’s why I am calling on all local councils to fly the Union flag on their buildings – and today’s guidance will enable them to do that. ”

It comes after the BBC’s Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty were criticised for referencing the size of Jenrick’s Union flag during an interview with him last week.

The broadcaster said it had received complaints from people who were “unhappy” about Stayt’s comments and Munchetty’s subsequent behaviour on social media following the incident on BBC Breakfast.

Munchetty has also previously apologised for liking tweets which she said were “offensive in nature about the use of the British flag as a backdrop in a government interview”.

The UK Government has had a meeting - nay, multiple meetings, I dare say - about draping everything with flegs, and making everybody else drape flegs everywhere, and how there should be flegs everywhere when talking to the press, and how everyone should wear fleg underpants, and don't make us set the chief whip on you for not having enough flegs or so help me Hancock I'll send you back to that inbred backwater that was stupid enough to vote for you and you can talk to the hicks all day about their problems with alien abductions, or whatever else keeps those simpletons awake at night.

I know it's petty, but the thought of this gives me great pleasure, and I hope to one day see it made into a film.

53 minutes ago, Pato said:

Where does one even buy a chair like that when it's not for a photo op?

Deck chairs are widely available!

This is what austerity means. 

Since 2008 normal people are the boiling frogs who don't notice the water heating up and the super rich have stolen everything that's not nailed down. 

UK levels of consumption were crazily unsustainable in the run up to the financial crash but the Cameron/Osborne/Carney mandated correction has been hugely punitive to low and average earners and will have generational consequences.

16 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The definitely not Nationalist Tories take their recent fleg obsession up a notch.

We can't be far off them decreeing that GSTQ has to played before every sporting event.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/union-flag-to-be-flown-daily-on-all-uk-government-buildings?top

I'll give a shiny penny to any institution who flies the fleg either upside down or at half mast.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Deck chairs are widely available!

This is what austerity means. 

Since 2008 normal people are the boiling frogs who don't notice the water heating up and the super rich have stolen everything that's not nailed down. 

UK levels of consumption were crazily unsustainable in the run up to the financial crash but the Cameron/Osborne/Carney mandated correction has been hugely punitive to low and average earners and will have generational consequences.

Why I don't buy that 'people will become naturally more inclined towards Conservatism as they age' will actually be a thing going forward.

Far less likely to veer towards conservatism when you have f**k all to conserve.

Edited by Boo Khaki