General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:
24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
Police Scotland allowed covid to run through the call handling centre in Govan and told staff to turn off their NHS app so their mewling about covid is unfortunately inadmissible

Is that true? Jesus, that's truly indefensible. Not overly surprising from the police though.

Heard directly from an employee who caught covid there and passed it on to their family

The scenes in Bristol last night are pretty disturbing and need nipped in the bud, unfortunately those in power seem to be afraid to make the required tough decisions as is often the case with a weak populist regime.

If they fail to take action then these so called "protests" will very soon lead to all out anarchy as the current climate is the perfect storm for the violence to take hold.

I'm sorry but this stand back and watch for fear of offending some lobby / pressure group just doesn't wash when people are being injured and property destroyed.

Edited by WATTOO

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The scenes in Bristol last night are pretty disturbing and need nipped in the bud, unfortunately those in power seem to be afraid to make the required tough decisions as is often the case with a weak populist regime.

If they fail to take action then these so called "protests" will very soon lead to all out anarchy as the current climate is the perfect storm for the violence to take hold.

I'm sorry but this stand back and watch for fear of offending some lobby / pressure group just doesn't wash when people are being injured and property destroyed.

Yes, very disturbing.

Seemed to start off okay as a peaceful protest then the usual anarchy mob got involved and escalated it.

The police in Bristol have a poor reputation as they stood back and allowed the mob to pull down statues a while back.

Once you show weakness , it just encourages the rioters.

6 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

If you threaten to outlaw peaceful protest, then people will resort to violence.

If you police peaceful protest by sending in the riot shields and batons, then people will resort to violence.

Yes but have you considered that it is because the police do not want to offend people in some way as yet to be identified? Bristol really following up a strong 2020 so far, good for them. 

On 21/03/2021 at 09:43, Bairnardo said:

Police Scotland allowed covid to run through the call handling centre in Govan and told staff to turn off their NHS app so their mewling about covid is unfortunately inadmissible

Workers are shite with this stuff, ask for it in writing and fire it off to the papers etc. 

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Workers are shite with this stuff, ask for it in writing and fire it off to the papers etc. 

Agreed. Have always been an advocate if "Aye I can do that, just pop it in an email for me first though" when folk are clearly chancing it. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

You have to laugh that people still get taken in by the Conservatives, the party of small government, freedom, liberty etc (so long as you fit their very, very narrow definitions).

I have to admit to being taken in by the Tories for that reason. I've never been a Tory, but after Blair's government attempted to create an Orwellian infrastructure - e.g. doing away with habeas corpus (detention without trial), introduce biometric ID cards, universal DNA database; ubiquitous CCTV everywhere, do away with double jeopardy, etc - freedom became, and still is, my main focus. However the Tories are just as bad, it seems.

This bill is shocking. I have never been pro-independence, but I think it's the only option now: we need an independent Scotland with a constitution which GUARANTEES the individual's freedom to impart ideas and beliefs, and to protest against the government.  It seems the UK is sleepwalking into a totalitarian dystopia, and it's frightening.

Predictably, the Tories are just following the trend of being massively hypocritical about freedom of expression. When it's things they like they're massively for it. When it's things they don't like, it's truncheon time.

Just because they're economically right wing doesn't make them any more liberal than the economic left wing.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Naming the protest "Kill the Bill" was probably a poor decision in hindsight. 

I had assumed it meant the Bill as in old bill/police.

Is it not the Bill that's going through Parliament at the monent about stopping protests?

4 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

You have to laugh that people still get taken in by the Conservatives, the party of small government, freedom, liberty etc (so long as you fit their very, very narrow definitions).

I'm a member of the SNP, however when certain elements start using every "protest" as an excuse to cause wanton destruction, vandalism and commit assault then they MUST be held to account, otherwise you will very soon see the country descend into anarchy, as the era of social media makes it so easy for every aspiring psycho to arrange "meets". 

By defending these actions you set a precedent and you can't then pick and choose what particular "mob rule" you support.

Would posters here be so quick to support the far right mobs if they were protesting / rioting about this that or the other ??

A burning police van and assaults on people just doing their job are equally as shocking whether it's committed by a far left nutter, a far right nutter or a "hire a mob" nutter and sadly many who post on here don't seem to see that at all, which I must say shows they have a pretty basic and naive understanding of the big wide world out there.

I'm a member of the SNP, however when certain elements start using every "protest" as an excuse to cause wanton destruction, vandalism and commit assault then they MUST be held to account, otherwise you will very soon see the country descend into anarchy, as the era of social media makes it so easy for every aspiring psycho to arrange "meets". 
By defending these actions you set a precedent and you can't then pick and choose what particular "mob rule" you support.
Would posters here be so quick to support the far right mobs if they were protesting / rioting about this that or the other ??
A burning police van and assaults on people just doing their job are equally as shocking whether it's committed by a far left nutter, a far right nutter or a "hire a mob" nutter and sadly many who post on here don't seem to see that at all, which I must say shows they have a pretty basic and naive understanding of the big wide world out there.
Are you
a) implying I'm condoning violence, and
b ) implying I have no real world experience (which you've previous for. It's stultifyingly ill-informed at best, ignorant and patronising horseshit at worst)?

All anyone is saying is that when a gov is pushing through a bill to suppress PEACEFUL protest, why would anyone be surprised that it gives rise to violence?

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Yes we can because not everyone is as deeply stupid and incapable of holding complex thoughts in their head as you are.