Granny Danger

General Politics Thread

48 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

They always appeal to the mythical World War Two veteran who would apparently be more mad about something called "critical race theory" despite the well documented evidence of World War Two vets returning home fucking furious at the state of the shit society they'd fought to defend. I genuinely wonder how many of the gammons are actually aware that Churchill got promptly emptied within weeks of VE day.

The relatives that I knew (sadly all now gone) that actually had to fight in ww1 or ww2, absolutely loathed any kind of jingoistic pish.

They never wore their medals, didn't do uniforms or flag waving, hated poppy time, couldnae stand Churchill, wished Vera Lynn had been throttled at birth, and no doubt would have been scunnered by the whole Captain Tom stunt. 

I have no doubt they would have despised the gammony Britnat/ Brexit crowd.

Captain Tom is just a stunt, sadly the conservative government are going to pull him out repeatedly until he kicks the bucket.

The relatives that I knew (sadly all now gone) that actually had to fight in ww1 or ww2, absolutely loathed any kind of jingoistic pish.
They never wore their medals, didn't do uniforms or flag waving, hated poppy time, couldnae stand Churchill, wished Vera Lynn had been throttled at birth, and no doubt would have been scunnered by the whole Captain Tom stunt. 
I have no doubt they would have despised the gammony Britnat/ Brexit crowd.
Agreed. This is my admittedly limited experience of WW2 veterans.

I imagine most of them would identify with fighting against something, and now they are all gone the narrative is spin to them fighting for something, some pishy notion of Britishness.

My grandparents knowledge of WW2 is very limited as they were 5&6 when it finished and their parents rarely spoke about it, think my grandad said his dad would only mention the war if someone brought it up but would change subject immediately.

There does seem to be a generational thing where people born 1950-1960 seem to walk around with a sense of entitlement about it for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Apparently it's being increased by the smallest possible amount this year, I'm sure that will be the fault of (in no particular order) immigrants, single mums and BLM.

Exhibit A:

IMG_0337.jpg

If you can’t spell immigrants despite them winding you up so much, then I’m afraid you’re a moron.

If you can’t spell immigrants despite them winding you up so much, then I’m afraid you’re a moron.

Toatally

22 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

There are obviously pensioners who possess critical faculties and a soul but in England at least they're a minority.

Gracias but I'm an atheist

5 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Gracias but I'm an atheist

emotional intelligence for you then :)

Can you spare £100,000 to help an MP in need?

Marcus Rashford on a roll on twitter just now. If Tories were biologically able to feel shame then they'd be watching his feed through their fingers.

Rashford is almost definitely going to end up in politics after he retires. The sheer rage he induced in tories is unbelievable.

Might be a few awkward Tory supporters of Man United at old Trafford when were able to re-enter football grounds.

Cannae wait for the press to segue from 'Rashford protecting our kids! Hero!' to '[black footballer] should be grateful and humble! Leave politics to the politicians!'

That old tweet I can't find which says all tory policy boils down to 'lol just use your other money' is very appropriate.

49 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Rashford is almost definitely going to end up in politics after he retires. The sheer rage he induced in tories is unbelievable.

Might be a few awkward Tory supporters of Man United at old Trafford when were able to re-enter football grounds.

I’m all for the millionaire footballer embarrassing the Tories now; let’s wait and see where he’s at politically in 10 years.

It's a stupid story pretty much all round. Even by their own standards the Tories are stupid for making child malnutrition a line in the sand given that they're throwing money at consultancies and all sorts of utter shite like no tomorrow. There's also no guarantee that they won't cave in as well.
At the same time though people are asking the wrong question by asking why children shouldn't get free school meals for a single week over a holiday. The issue is that the entire welfare system in this country has been degraded by neoliberal scrounger-bashing policies to the point where families cannot feed their children. This salami sliced, think of the poor weans special pleading simply lets the government get away with keeping the overall safety net as insufficient and cruel as it is.
The same goes for the week's fighting over furlough support. Businesses should have been kept in deep freeze while their employees accessed a proper social safety net until they go back to work. Instead we have a piecemeal nonsense as different forms of employment get covered and others do not and with different rules and eligibilities all over the country. It's an inefficient, bureaucratic farce when simply slapping a one size fits all benefit set at a much higher level than the enforced poverty of Universal Credit would be a better solution. Something like a Universal Basic Income that would have been of huge benefit during this crisis but has slipped off the radar in favour of these ridiculously hyped public rows over marginalia.

A lot of people who were reasonably comfortable before this pandemic are discovering how shit awful UC and contributions-based JSA are.

They'll probably still vote Tory.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

A lot of people who were reasonably comfortable before this pandemic are discovering how shit awful UC and contributions-based JSA are.

They'll probably still vote Tory.

Because they've become scroungers and despise themselves.