General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Huge politics news overnight as Farage retires again and Laurence Fox announces he's running for Mayor of London on an anti-"extreme political correctness" platform.
And we took the piss out of America for Trump.
Farage is busy grifting on youTube. The humiliation potential for "Lozza" here is terrific though [emoji23]

27 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Nobody noticing the name of that Rangers-supporting twitter user, no?

Yes, but replying to the inevitable question of, "why was he banned?" results in the employment of the banhammer, so let's not go there.

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

There was a Rangers fan called Tedi on P&B before your time. He was... memorable.

Ohhh. That wasn't before my time, I know he posted a lot on most Rangers issues but as far as I recall he was relativley normal, I'm guessing I missed his cancellation?

6 hours ago, trainspotter said:

Yousaf giving off the vibe of a teacher who can't control their pupils in that tweet. 

To be fair, all elected politicians commenting on breaches of social distancing come across in this way. Especially as to express concern about a particular instance seems fultile given how often people ignore it elsewhere aware from the news.

I see Patrick Grady has stood down as SNP Chief Whip due to allegations of sexual harrassment being made against him.  There are also allegations against an unnamed female colleague of his, who allegedly harrassed  a male staffer in Strangers Bar.  Grady is alleged to have harrassed someone in a pub in East London.

Do MPs just spend their time getting drunk and groping people?  

I see Patrick Grady has stood down as SNP Chief Whip due to allegations of sexual harrassment being made against him.  There are also allegations against an unnamed female colleague of his, who allegedly harrassed  a male staffer in Strangers Bar.  Grady is alleged to have harrassed someone in a pub in East London.
A lot of these cases have a common theme - alcohol.

Alcohol consumption doesn’t cause sexual assault directly, but it is one of the most important risk factors that contribute to sexual violence.

Excessive alcohol consumption increases the possibility of sexual assault. Victim and/or perpetrator can be impaired by alcohol. Ethanol has a negative influence on brain structures which are responsible for sexual and violent behavior. Alcohol consumption increases aggression, and in some people, sexual desire and emotional instability.

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Considering this is exactly what a huge proportion of the wider Scots population under 40 spend most of every weekend trying to do, I am somewhat relieved to see that our politicians are relatively normal after all.

:whistle

7 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Considering this is exactly what a huge proportion of the wider Scots population under 40 spend most of every weekend trying to do, I am somewhat relieved to see that our politicians are relatively normal after all.

:whistle

Take that, #MeToo

Like journalism, hard drinking seems to be part of the culture of Westminster politics. Not sure about Holyrood.

You can somewhat excuse a youngster acting out when getting bladdered, as they haven't worked out who they really are when the shackles are off. Anyone who reaches middle-age and still takes a drink, despite knowing they're likely to become aggressive in some way, deserves whatever they get.

Edit: alcoholism is a different matter, of course.

Edited by BFTD

Apparently there were more allegations made against Grady but he was kept in his position. According to the Times one of the complainants was called to a meeting in Ian Blackfords office with Grady, who tearfully apologised. There are rumblings that this is part of the briefing war between Salmond and Sturgeon, with Grady in the Sturgeon camp.  This is backed up The Times’ account of the SNP MPs meeting where Joanne Cherry asked Blackford why they kept someone who had had complaints made against them on the front bench while sacking her.