General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I hope that everyone who derailed and sabotaged my best/worst posters thread with your lavish Wightman praise are still happy with his actions now the bold cat man has called him out. 

I clicked on his account and saw this at the top which is an amazing case of inventing something to be completely mad about 

Anyway, what's prompted this tweet?

Edited by NotThePars

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I clicked on his account and saw this at the top which is an amazing case of inventing something to be completely mad about 

Anyway, what's prompted this tweet?

He voted not to publish Salmond’s evidence, on the basis that it couldn’t be published in an accessible manner without risking the committee committing contempt of court, so that’s presumably what Galloway’s on about.

On 17/01/2021 at 14:23, Granny Danger said:

That’s cloud cuckoo stuff.  These properties wouldn’t suddenly become free.  Instead there would be a hiatus in the market, possibly quite a lengthy one.  Probably wouldn’t affect sitting tenants but very likely to impact on people looking to rent.

Other potential landlords might benefit from lower prices but I’d imagine the chances of that being passed on to tenants as being limited.

I don’t see every private landlord as being a predator though undoubtedly many are, but a fair and equitable private sector rented market will only be achieved through political action not the vagaries of the market.

FWIW I looked very closely at this sector of the economy about six years ago, I found aspects of it very unattractive and decided it was not for me.  It’s also not nearly as attractive as other investment options for anyone with half a brain.  That said it fulfils a role and I cannot think of any country anywhere that doesn’t have private sector landlords as part of its rental sector.

I never thought it was the gold plated money maker some (a lot) make it out to be. Anyway, I was never in a position to "invest" in it, but even if I had have been I don't think I would have dipped a toe in the market.

So now that Scotland is ahead of all other parts of the UK and indeed Europe with the vaccine rollout, will we see Willie Rennie, Dougie Ross etc applaud the Scottish government and health workers? 

They've been quick enough to stick the boot in when we were behind. 

I had a read of this piece in the Holyrood magazine and Jenny Marra's impression of "Scottish exceptionalism".

I was genuinely puzzled by this and setting aside the possibility that she was making a parting and partisan political shot, my take is that the substantial driver in our civic confidence and the move to self governance is the discovery that there is another way beyond the tired obsessions of empire, battle glories, monarchy and ruling the waves. Simply put, the rejection of the fallacious construct of the right that dominates and is underpinned by another type of exceptionalism.

Is there really a significant cohort that subscribes to the idea that Scotland is exceptional?

I had a read of this piece in the Holyrood magazine and Jenny Marra's impression of "Scottish exceptionalism".
I was genuinely puzzled by this and setting aside the possibility that she was making a parting and partisan political shot, my take is that the substantial driver in our civic confidence and the move to self governance is the discovery that there is another way beyond the tired obsessions of empire, battle glories, monarchy and ruling the waves. Simply put, the rejection of the fallacious construct of the right that dominates and is underpinned by another type of exceptionalism.
Is there really a significant cohort that subscribes to the idea that Scotland is exceptional?
Jenny Marra is a fucking lying cretin of the highest order and should be roundly ignored tbh

Isn't that just a (lazy) view of anything connected to the independence movement from outwith it's confines as opposed to some heart felt belief. I always get the feeling listening to any politician opposed to Scottish Independence that they see the movement as colloquial, extreme almost like some sort of lunatic fringe, yet if polls are accurate it is now pretty much the majority view and hence the mainstream. It's as if the attitudes to Scotland as a "nation" are mentally stuck in the early 1970s, it's Conservative with a capital C regardless of the party lines outwith the SNP and Greens.

Isn't that just a (lazy) view of anything connected to the independence movement from outwith it's confines as opposed to some heart felt belief. I always get the feeling listening to any politician opposed to Scottish Independence that they see the movement as colloquial, extreme almost like some sort of lunatic fringe, yet if polls are accurate it is now pretty much the majority view and hence the mainstream. It's as if the attitudes to Scotland as a "nation" are mentally stuck in the early 1970s, it's Conservative with a capital C regardless of the party lines outwith the SNP and Greens.
It's as lazy as Kincy's tartan gonks pish.

58 minutes ago, sophia said:

HERE'S TAE US; WHA'S LIKE US? GEY FEW, AND THEY'RE A' DEID'

A phrase that very few Scots would use in any serious way I think.  Thankfully we as a nation do not espouse the view that we are superior.  If anything I’d say there’s a bit too much inferiority which in part drives the “too poor, too wee, too stupid” approach to Independence.

The onslaught by opportunistic politicians with regard to vaccine jags to drive the narrative that we are somehow incompetent as compared to others on this island has passed but what remains is the stench of short term soundbites and a media that feels that it is incumbent upon them to give equal weight to the obviously laughable and the reasonable.

Perhaps we should all take a moment to laud W Rennie et al and to put their contribution to our collective heft in a context that is deserving of their cerebral effort. How do we celebrate Willie?

12 hours ago, sophia said:

If anything, I think there's a general view amongst Scots that we're a bit shit.

Such an odd view to think that you're an "exceptionalist" if you believe in running your own country.

13 hours ago, sophia said:

I don't know about Scotland but there's certainly a significant cohort that seems to think BRITAIN (often England) is exceptional.