General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Totally disagree.

i like their family values.

Another good organisation worth joining is the Free Speech Union.

Your act of automatically taking up the opposite view like a 15 year old on Reddit is tragic.

'Family values' doesn't mean blind hatred and discrimination that tries to hide behind religion. f**k those scum.

I had a look at the Family Party’s policies on their website, and it includes this sentence:

Once the grievance arms race has begun, it is in the interests of each special group to seek out ever more evidence of injustice against them.

I think we can safely ignore them. The whole thing has major “taking the divorce badly” vibes.

26 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

EtnMxZAXcAIU_pB?format=jpg&name=large

Absolutely that’s true.

During this pandemic, the share values of all the high tech companies such as Amazon, Google, Apple, Tesla, etc., have soared as we have become more and more dependent on technology, and for good reason and therefore their founders have increased their wealth.

The great sadness is that, here in Scotland, we don’t seem to have any entrepreneurs like Bezos, Musk and the like.

The nearest  we have are the Edinburgh investment houses such as Baillie Gifford which invested heavily in Silicon Valley, identifying many of the big successes at an early stage and promoting to savers investment trusts such as Scottish Mortgage which are showing phenomenal returns. Witness the multi millionaire, James Anderson, who stepped in to assist Scottish football. 

What I am saying is that your figures are indicative of the success or lack of success of systems and countries where enterprise and wealth creation are actively encouraged.

We need much more here in the UK, and certainly in Scotland where we are far too dependent on public service occupations.

Still firmly in the billionaires and private landlords should be gulag'd camp m8

Top boi Yanis Varoufakis speaks really well about the idea of a universal basic dividend which tbh i like the sound of; the main thihg i took away is that what drives the share value of google is shared, collective use of all computer users clicking away on their search engines etc. and yet the profit from this is privately appropriated; why not fund not a universal basic income not via taxation but make a universal basic dividend instead?

Also lol @ citing tech companies; most of their products were invented using taxpayer funded science and research programmes, no? Is there not that thing that every part/component of the iphone came from MIT research?

edit: my error there, not specifically MIT but various govt grants/public funded programmes.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

31 minutes ago, strichener said:

I have never heard this before but it is easily disproved.

I've had another look, I was conflating different things there from a Chomsky/Varoufakis talk I'd watched, mea culpa for any confusion. The claim is that every single part ultimately comes from government grants/public money so the point still stands, not specifically MIT - the MIT part was the GPS tech I think.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I look at my MP :
Greg Knight (Con). 
That's more than enough. p***k.

He’s a vile Tory c**t that’s voted against any form of equality or welfare legislation and for the Iraq war and is obviously worse than vermin, but his re-election video from 2017 (last 16 seconds especially) remain the best thing ever committed to video:

7 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Top boi Yanis Varoufakis speaks really well about the idea of a universal basic dividend which tbh i like the sound of; the main thihg i took away is that what drives the share value of google is shared, collective use of all computer users clicking away on their search engines etc. and yet the profit from this is privately appropriated; why not fund not a universal basic income via taxation but make a universal basic dividend instead?

That's like saying what drives the profits of Tennents is all of us drinking pints so we should get a cut of profits.

Google shouldn't exist as it's a Monopoly and loads of their surveillance activities should be illegal. 

3 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

He’s a vile Tory c**t that’s voted against any form of equality or welfare legislation and for the Iraq war and is obviously worse than vermin, but his re-election video from 2017 (last 16 seconds especially) remain the best thing ever committed to video:

I’m fairly sure “vile, verminous c**t” is part of the “Desirable” list on the Person Specification Criteria you find when applying to be a Tory MP. Just as “duplicitous, scheming prostitute” is an “Essential” quality sought in Lib Dem applicants and “nothing” is “Essential” if you want to be Keir Starmer (meeting the “less than nothing” listed as “Desirable” is what scooped him the leadership).