General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

You're either for democracy or you're not.

In 2010 the SNP got 6 seats in Scotland while the Lib Dems got 11, though the parties got very similar numbers of votes. That pattern had been typical since 1983.

Democracy's not an absolute thing, there's a lot to be said for representative democracy where a constituency decides by majority who they want to represent them. I'm not keen on my second vote in the Holyrood election not counting in many cases, even when there's more of them for the party I want than any other.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Democracy's not an absolute thing, there's a lot to be said for representative democracy where a constituency decides by majority who they want to represent them. I'm not keen on my second vote in the Holyrood election not counting in many cases, even when there's more of them for the party I want than any other.

Constituencies are arbitrary, and PR is representative democracy too. Is it really more important to have an MP representing a constituency than a government representing a country?

Anyway, multi-member seats or AMS allows a constituency link while still making who actually runs the country reasonably representative.

It's more directly representative than FPTP too, because the majority of the electorate didn't vote for their MP and know fine well that their MP isn't interested in their opinions. In the last general election in Scotland, 54% of the electorate voted for unionist candidates but over 80% of the population have a pro-independence MP. Is there any point in them writing to their MP to push for things like a UK approach to replacing EU structural funds?

SNP supporters used to be among the first to support PR.

Sorry lads, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it turns out, as well as not liking sucking cock, if you piss standing up you are also a bigot.  You are not being inclusive of trans men who cannot piss standing up.  Show some solidarity you disgusting TERFs or we will hound you off all forms of social media and harass your employer until they fire you.

Sorry lads, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it turns out, as well as not liking sucking cock, if you piss standing up you are also a bigot.  You are not being inclusive of trans men who cannot piss standing up.  Show some solidarity you disgusting TERFs or we will hound you off all forms of social media and harass your employer until they fire you.

Sounds great, more folk sitting on public toilets is what we need to get R below one and this virus finally under control.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
7 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Sounds great, more folk sitting on public toilets is what we need to get R below one and this virus finally under control.

100%, nothing is more important.  I can't believe how wrong I've been.  At least now I know what the guards at Auschwitz felt like.

42 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You've shared this on here four minutes after it was tweeted out which I'm absolutely fascinated by. How did you find this tweet from some rando from Detroit? Who are they? Who is Jamey Braunstein? Why should anyone be remotely concerned by it?

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You've shared this on here four minutes after it was tweeted out which I'm absolutely fascinated by. How did you find this tweet from some rando from Detroit? Who are they? Who is Jamey Braunstein? Why should anyone be remotely concerned by it?

I didn't know Columbo was a member here.  I saw it, its a good example, so I related it.  

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I didn't know Columbo was a member here.  I saw it, its a good example, so I related it.  

You've saw it literally right as it's being posted. Are you hooking up an RSS feed of sewage directly into your Boomer brain to get triggered by? This is magnitudes more dumb than everyone who at least gets paid to feign outrage about Tumblr kids clumsily trying to be more inclusive. 

It's cool to watch someone radicalise themselves in real time though. Utterly deranged stuff, thank you.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

You've saw it literally right as it's being posted. Are you hooking up an RSS feed of sewage directly into your Boomer brain to get triggered by? This is magnitudes more dumb than everyone who at least gets paid to feign outrage about Tumblr kids clumsily trying to be more inclusive. 

It's cool to watch someone radicalise themselves in real time though. Utterly deranged stuff, thank you.

Not a boomer, and its your opinion its sewage. This is something that is being pushed by trans activists, as is 'genital preference' being bigotry. Do you have a genital preference?  Cause I do (John McVeigh is a tit) and I don't accept that makes me a bigot.  Are you particular about what type of genitals you want to get familiar with?

You're haughtiness is misplaced, I am relating people who have been radicalised as an example. My beliefs are entirely mainstream on this issue, they are the extremists.

9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

This is not the same image

That's good, there's still time for you. Do you honestly think these images were promoted by trans activists?

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

It's very rare to see this level of heads gone completely unprompted at half 5 on a Monday. 

Bizarre content. Bizarre choice of thread. 

Not a boomer, and its your opinion its sewage. This is something that is being pushed by trans activists, as is 'genital preference' being bigotry. Do you have a genital preference?  Cause I do (John McVeigh is a tit) and I don't accept that makes me a bigot.  Are you particular about what type of genitals you want to get familiar with?
You're haughtiness is misplaced, I am relating people who have been radicalised as an example. My beliefs are entirely mainstream on this issue, they are the extremists.
You have to sign in at your local police station on a daily basis don't you? What an absolute OFTW fucking weirdo.

47 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You previously said you've never encountered a trans person. Don't you think you might be over reacting to something you've only read about on twitter?

Edited by welshbairn