General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Thought this paper was fascinating, though my confidence in the authors was a bit shaken by them saying Evo Morales was elected in Ecuador.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0963721418817755

They say the 4 traits common to extreme political views are:

I can recognise traits here in myself and others on P&B. I think the most interesting thing though is that the 4 traits they identify as common to both political extremes seem to apply very strongly to British centrists. 

I've read it and it's utter shite justifying horse shoe theory.

Defining the Latin American social movements as nationalistic is fucking nonsense. Equating the 'distress' of people living with the legacy of slavery and genocide and the reality of neocolonialism to the 'distress' of British gammons, French Le Pen supporters and Trump voters completely discredits the authors without even googling them.

As far as cognitive simplicity goes it's ridiculous to say that Marx, Lenin, Brecht, Sartre, Fanon, Baldwin, Debord and thousands of other  intellectuals who have produced the basis for left wing thought are simple. 

The slavery example is an belter. It's obviously easy to explain why you do or don't support slavery. It's either because you are racist or not racist. To take a moderate position obviously takes some complex levels of bullshit. 

23 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

They say as much about slavery not needing complex evaluation by modern standards, the study they link seems to be talking about text analysis of abolitionists and pro slavery people. 

I thought it was interesting anyhow. Talking the other night about Iraq being an important event in pushing me towards nationalism resonates with the psychological distress thing. I often wonder why more people I know aren't that curious about politics and whatnot and I wonder if it's because they didn't find that as distressing an episode.

Western societies operate in (and couldn't function without) a sort of collective delusion over how much misery we inflict on this world, imo. Like even when you have some knowledge of it (like we do with Iraq, arms sales to the Saudis, the meat industry, and the effects of austerity etc) it's still just filed away or treated at a remove where we don't, or can't, engage with it cause it would probably begin a collective collapse in sanity points. I hope that makes sense.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Western societies operate in (and couldn't function without) a sort of collective delusion over how much misery we inflict on this world, imo. Like even when you have some knowledge of it (like we do with Iraq, arms sales to the Saudis, the meat industry, and the effects of austerity etc) it's still just filed away or treated at a remove where we don't, or can't, engage with it cause it would probably begin a collective collapse in sanity points. I hope that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. I have to switch over from C4 news to Dads Army after about 20 minutes these days.

Just now, welshbairn said:

It makes perfect sense. I have to switch over from C4 news to Dads Army after about 20 minutes these days.

I often find "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" to be a bit of a cop-out but if you actually devoted your life to trying to live a fully ethical life you would drive yourself completely insane. It reminds me of that arc in S2 of The Good Place.

On 07/10/2020 at 19:38, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The Ernst Röhm effect.

I think it was Shirer who mentioned that Hitler had the homosexual Rohm shot as he had attended his wedding and later found out that the bride was a prostitute and Hitler described this as a type moral turpitude, the truth was that Hitler saw Rohm as a rival and was implicated in some plot to take the leadership.

Some talk that Alister Jack is going to be made Chief Whip at the next reshuffle, so presumably we’ll be getting a new Scottish secretary.

It won’t be Ross because he’s focusing on Holyrood now and it won’t be Fluffy because he was turfed out by Boris for being too close to the May government.

So take your pick between Andrew Bowie, David Duguid or John Lamont. Smart money probably on Bowie since he’s in a government role already I believe

8 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Ahahahahah man inject that stuff right into my veins.

All these pensioners falling for the TPA wanting to make life harder for poor people, immigrants etc. voting in enough Tories it completely unleashes the psychopath element that will nod sagely at this stuff. Ourobouros exemplified.

This is exactly how dangerous Tories become once they are no longer constrained by any sort of opposition threat. Absolute fucking vermin. I have to say though that I'm looking forward to the tide of pensioner seethe over this, now that the "leopards eating people's faces party" are getting a bit hungry. 

7 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Taxpayers' Alliance: Cut pensioner benefits 'immediately'

Many of those hit by a cut to the winter fuel allowance might "not be around" at the next election, said Alex Wild of the Taxpayers' Alliance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34439965

Not satire.

That's 5 years old. None of that's been implemented (yet), I've still got my bus pass, my winter fuel allowance and my (£10) Christmas bonus.

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's 5 years old. None of that's been implemented (yet), I've still got my bus pass, my winter fuel allowance and my (£10) Christmas bonus.

Oops 😂

Having said that, and given that Sunak is going to have to find money from somewhere over the coming months, the welfare state will probably be the target and the only part of the welfare state largely left alone thus far has been benefits like State Pension etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a hit. 

13 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Oops 😂

Having said that, and given that Sunak is going to have to find money from somewhere over the coming months, the welfare state will probably be the target and the only part of the welfare state largely left alone thus far has been benefits like State Pension etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a hit. 

A pound to a pinch of shit that he won't raise income or any tax rates on the extremely wealthy tory donors, let the poor pay as usual under the tories.

Cancel the American owned replacement Trident deal which the CND have costed at £205 Billion.

21 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Oops 😂

It was obviously floated (albeit 5 years ago) for a purpose, but it doesn't seem to have gained much traction -yet.

If the State Pension was anyways decent, pensioners wouldn't need these "perks". Of course we can't afford to pay a decent pension, never mind the one that is paid. The winter fuel allowance and the Christmas bonus = £4.03/week.