General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

44 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The argument's been won and I think actually winning the referendum is the easier part now. Getting that referendum is the problem and I think people are confusing inertia and uncertainty for patient politicking.

The UK has proven itself over the centuries to be pretty elastic and I don't think denying Scotland a referendum is going to change that especially if the SNP don't do anything to make the UK dysfunctional in the meantime. Ofc the problem is that anything they do to force the issue risks turning off undecideds but then that potentially plays into the Tories hands because then they can continue to ignore the issue or deny the obvious like they are doing. 

Who knows. Maybe a thumping win next year will be enough but I'll be amazed if Johnson doesn't just file that mandate safely in the bin along with all the others.

He's going to be upset with you 

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
7 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:
Never heard that one, tell us more.

Dig a bit deeper of your own account but I think you'll find that he had/has a strong degree of antipathy to the reformed faith, and in his younger years he was not afraid to advertise it.

Thought he was a Dundee Utd fan that went to a non denominational school in Dundee.

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Salmond was very successful in government and was the only party leader to secure an outright majority after 4 years of government in a system designed to prevent majorities. The majority of the SNP's best achievements were cemented under him. 

Yeah, I thought that was a bit of a weird take. 

7 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

I understand the reluctance to discuss the issue during the current pandemic. That is sensible.

However we have had six years of little activity from the SNP as far as building the case for independence goes .

There has been an almost complete disassociation between the SNP and the wider yes movement. This is surely dangerous for the party and the maintenance of their thumping majorities. There is a real risk of vote apathy.

Apart from the disappointing growth report, (with which there was zero argument from the leadership) there has been little done in the way of research to provide credible alternative economic visions.

They still rely on GERs (although MacKay was muting an alternative prior to his resignation)

The currency policy is still not credible and is an easy target to be shot down.

Since the start of the year polls have started going our way. But whenever the SNP do finally get "granted" a referendum, we need to be able to sell a credible vision.

That credible vision is still not in place.

6 years post indyref1 !!

The leadership has allowed factions and cliques to rise within the party to positions where they now have power to effectively cancel out extremely capable and senior colleagues.....for the crime of disagreeing with them on what are difficult contentious issues, but totally unrelated to independence.  

They are introducing controversial legislation which has been openly criticized by a wide sector of Scottish society from law bodies to religious groups. I claim no great knowledge in this, but surely, given the criticism, it is an act that threatens to divide the nation (and the independence vote) even further.

Why are they doing this.... at this time?

Why the inactivity in preparing the economic case for independence?

The generous part of me me puts it all down to governing party fatigue.

The less generous thinks that some folk high up, may have become a bit too comfy with devolution.

I think you could argue they've gained support in an organic matter which is preferable?

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

To be fair, “effect” can also be a verb. It’s just not the one these hideous, dim- witted bitch-trolls mean.

Aye, deleted the post to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Setting aside the obvious f**k up, these c***s really should wait for the reaction to mgt of exams in those parts of the island where they are responsible. It's plain fucking stupid to try to nail the SNP on this when your primary cheerleader media outlet has a headline of "You Dunces" and the rest of the right wing media use the word "chaos" to describe your own party's handling. That doesn't mean Scotland couldn't have handled it better, only that if you're going to describe this as one of the biggest scandals of the last 20 years, you shouldn't be on the hook for the self same thing within a matter of days. Indeed, only the normal calendar of events has stopped the Tories from having first shot at this "scandal". Roasters - deleted or not. 

I love the Tories posting about "shattering the life chances of thousand of pupils". Coming from a party whose policies have directly resulted in people dying of fucking starvation, that really is quite incredible.

Sociopathic, narcissistic fucking vermin. 

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, deleted the post to give them the benefit of the doubt.

No need - their Tweet is still gibberish. The verb “effect” means “to cause or bring about”.  No teacher or pupils were “caused or brought about” by the exam “fiasco”. They meant “affect” and so are still semi-literate puppyfuckers.

Scotland's welfare system is propped up, to the tune of about £6,000 per taxpayer per annum, by we Tories from London and the South East but the constantly pompous Jupe has a daft wee fit about it.  

Bless him.  He used to be a narcissist but now look at him.

17 minutes ago, HTG said:

Setting aside the obvious f**k up, these c***s really should wait for the reaction to mgt of exams in those parts of the island where they are responsible. It's plain fucking stupid to try to nail the SNP on this when your primary cheerleader media outlet has a headline of "You Dunces" and the rest of the right wing media use the word "chaos" to describe your own party's handling. That doesn't mean Scotland couldn't have handled it better, only that if you're going to describe this as one of the biggest scandals of the last 20 years, you shouldn't be on the hook for the self same thing within a matter of days. Indeed, only the normal calendar of events has stopped the Tories from having first shot at this "scandal". Roasters - deleted or not. 

Surely by now you’ve realised this shower of scum will attack literally anything the SNP do in the most knee-jerk way possible. Either they’re too stupid to realise that these situations will soon implicate them, or they think the mud will stick in the meantime.

This is the Calderwood-breaking-lockdown stuff all over again. The North Brits were all over that like a rash, demanding resignations and baying for blood. Any idiot could see that one or more of their own would soon be exposed doing the same or worse, and they’d suddenly have to defend something they’d attacked others for doing. Didn’t stop them, because, again, either they are as thick as shit or they think it’s worth scoring points in the short term and hiding from their obvious hypocrisy later. Maybe a bit of both. They are the definition of subhuman scum.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Scotland's welfare system is propped up, to the tune of about £6,000 per taxpayer per annum, by we racist, bigoted, murdering, xenophobic Tories from London and the South East but the constantly pompous Jupe has a daft wee fit about it.  

FTFY, you disgusting racist.

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Surely by now you’ve realised this shower of scum will attack literally anything the SNP do in the most knee-jerk way possible. Either they’re too stupid to realise that these situations will soon implicate them, or they think the mud will stick in the meantime

I have indeed. I still can't help shaking my head at their utter stupidity. 

On 06/08/2020 at 11:01, git-intae-thum said:

The leadership has allowed factions and cliques to rise within the party to positions where they now have power to effectively cancel out extremely capable and senior colleagues.....for the crime of disagreeing with them on what are difficult contentious issues, but totally unrelated to independence.  

They are introducing controversial legislation which has been openly criticized by a wide sector of Scottish society from law bodies to religious groups. I claim no great knowledge in this, but surely, given the criticism, it is an act that threatens to divide the nation (and the independence vote) even further.

GRA reforms weren't mentioned in the last election manifesto, but I'd be interested to hear who these law bodies and religious groups are. Nobody I know has mentioned anything about it, I very much doubt it would divide the nation apart from a few angry Wings and Cherry fans on Twitter.