General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

15 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Despair at the ethno-Nationalist fuckwits on both sides of the border.

I see that Rachael Hamilton was pretty-much told to 'go home' by a cuddly 'civic nationalist' the other day.  What a shower of bigots the Natters are:

Seems like The Scotch's disdain of 'interlopers' is now extending beyond just those English b*****ds.

No really, apart from pretend Rachael Hamilton is being attacked by Welsh SNP members, what are you going to do?  Your beloved union stands in the way of your beloved EU.  What. Are. You. Going. To. Do?

26 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Are you meaning in general?

Or are you saying this is more common now?

I think people of Chinese heritage have always had to put up with slurs - although the majority of those using these terms intended no harm, and were instead showing ignorance.

I would hope and expect this problem to be gradually easing - but maybe I'm being naive.

There's another subtlety which neither of us can readily appreciate:  Many Brits readily lump all SE Asians together as Chinese which is, of course, utterly crass.

In the past decade I've had a long-term relationship with a Filipina and a shorter yet delightful friendship with a Korean lassie from New Malden, home to thousands of Koreans.

Both of them got annoyed as f**k at "Hello ching chong" or "Oh Hong Kong Phooey" type comments as neither were Chinese and hated the fact that we lumped them all together.

Neither suffered in their careers in the slightest but I am still convinced that the man on the Clapham Omnibus is a bit of an arse when it comes to using racist tropes.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

There's another subtlety which neither of us can readily appreciate:  Many Brits readily lump all SE Asians together as Chinese which is, of course, utterly crass.

In the past decade I've had a long-term relationship with a Filipina and a shorter yet delightful friendship with a Korean lassie from New Malden, home to thousands of Koreans.

Both of them got annoyed as f**k at "Hello ching chong" or "Oh Hong Kong Phooey" type comments as neither were Chinese and hated the fact that we lumped them all together.

Neither suffered in their careers in the slightest but I am still convinced that the man on the Clapham Omnibus is a bit of an arse when it comes to using racist tropes.

Your beloved (and utterly crass) union stands in the way of your beloved EU.  What. Are. You. Going. To. Do?

PC madness expecting people to stop using God's own 1970's lingo just because some bedwetting snowflakes don't find it appropriate these days. I myself will carry on carry on calling a Marathon Bar the same name till the day I die.

Yours

Sidney Raging Esq.

Ayrshire

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

No, what you've actually done is confirm that your love of the union overrides everything and pretending that you're some kind of ardent europhile is a complete sham.

It’s almost more disgusting that people who claim to oppose the blatant racism and bigotry driving Brexit will nevertheless accept it as a price worth paying to maintain and uphold UK nationalism.

I have more respect (and that’s none) for the hardcore Brexit types who stand by their manky-jaiketed racism than I do for those who will jettison their supposed principles purely so they can keep bowing before the flag that makes up said jaiket.

5 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Laughing whilst supporting racism, xenophobia, and bigotry because such is the price the precious, precious Fatherland. Nice.

4 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

No, what you've actually done is confirm that your love of the union overrides everything and pretending that you're some kind of ardent europhile is a complete sham.

A pair of daft wee xenophobes whose politics is all about building walls.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

A pair of daft wee xenophobes whose politics is all about building walls.

Yep, that pretty much describes you and lads like Boris Johnson, whose racism and xenophobia you’ll doff the cap for purely based on the flag he sticks in his cones. 

3C399CC3-ECE4-456A-880D-92ACF76466E1.jpeg

As in that FT report says way more Chinese heritage people than other minority ethnicities have had a slur said directly to their face. I've no idea if it's more common today than in the past but the statistic (70% at least once, nearly 50% many times) was shocking to me.
Anecdotally my own experience is hearing it a few times in the 90s and then not really at all and then with the advent of social media seeing the same word being used by people who weren't born then for a takeaway dinner or a type of eye shape is pretty disappointing. If it's dying out that's been 25 years between those two observations, how long will it take? 100 years?
I think the term for a Chinese takeaway was seen as more acceptable than the one connected to the asian corner shop, although i have no idea why.

I'd guess that maybe the corner shop slur was highlighted as being racist earlier, and with more conviction - and maybe it took a bit longer before people starting really questioning the slur for Chinese food. That's my recollection of it anyway.

I remember about 20 years ago my elder sister justifying the term because the guy running the takeaway wasn't taking any offence when people used it on his shop. She's a massive fanny though, and refused to accept my explanation that he might not want to aggravate his loyal customers by pointing out their ignorance.

Kincy's point also applies, in terms of us being guilty of lumping lots of ethnicy looking people together - and it certainly applies to people of either Indian or Pakistani origin - who quite often despise being mistaken for the other.

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I think the term for a Chinese takeaway was seen as more acceptable than the one connected to the asian corner shop, although i have no idea why.

How about calling an ice cream van a "Tally" - operated by Italians or not?

Maybe just a North Lanarkshire thing but seems more acceptable than 'paki' or chinky' but is the same thing.  Maybe as they are Europeans it has less impact?

How about calling an ice cream van a "Tally" - operated by Italians or not?
Maybe just a North Lanarkshire thing but seems more acceptable than 'paki' or chinky' but is the same thing.  Maybe as they are Europeans it has less impact?
I have never heard such a thing and I fully expect it was just your mum and dad that said it.
Seems to be a real thing but I'd never heard of it till now, is it another west coast thing?

I can assure you gentlemen it's a thing, as was the derogatory term 'hokey pokey' men (and as far as i know, not just West Coast).

It's part of the higher history course, relating to immigration into Scotland. The course is excellent, and focuses on how immigrants were treated, what their lives were like, and how they impacted Scotland.

Italians tended to set-up cafes, but often started off with bikes which pulled a cart and they sold ice cream on the streets. They were known as hokey pokey men.

When i grew up my old auntie used to give me money for the ice cream van and told me to get her a pokey hat (a cone). I thought it was just her being weird until i read the textbook.

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I can assure you gentlemen it's a thing, as was the derogatory term 'hokey pokey' men (and as far as i know, not just West Coast).

It's part of the higher history course, relating to immigration into Scotland. The course is excellent, and focuses on how immigrants were treated, what their lives were like, and how they impacted Scotland.

Italians tended to set-up cafes, but often started off with bikes which pulled a cart and they sold ice cream on the streets. They were known as hokey pokey men.

When i grew up my old auntie used to give me money for the ice cream van and told me to get her a pokey hat (a cone). I thought it was just her being weird until i read the textbook.

Fascinating history that. Going to take the opportunity to plug a mate's article from a few years back ostensibly about Italian ice cream in Scotland but talks about the immigrant experience as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.greatitalianchefs.com/features/history-of-italian-ice-cream-in-scotland/amp