General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I didn't realise one of the main "Gamergate" creeps was standing as a UKIP candidate in the European elections jose.png&key=cf7884851c5e36fde82420f80ff02387389417a7b4591ad84b5a48e32135a4cc

He's the one going round making rape jokes about Jess Philips. He comes across as a seriously disturbed individual.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

He's not disturbed at all. He makes $12000 a month from donations from his followers. It's all deliberate.

I'm fairly sure he was doing this shit before he was making that money. 

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Oh undoubtedly. I'm just uneasy with suggesting he is in some way not in control of his faculties as opposed to being a mirror of the worst atavisms that continue to bubble up through western society.

Oh my mistake! I thought you were suggesting he just says it for the money.

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's wacky how far stuff has been warped from where stuff started.

Since we're talking about him, Sargon of Akkad has this whole 'Kekistan' fictional country. 'kek' was the way Koreans playing Starcraft did laughter - 'kekekeke' instead of 'hahaha' then people on the anglophone internet started to shorten it to 'kek' and then use it instead of 'lol', then out of people making ironic racist jokes on IRC channels and latterly discord etc. it all got caught up together and he ends up leading a horde of racists with imagery (Pepe the frog was from a totally benign web comic originally) totally stolen from non political, non racially charged origins. Then they can laugh off accusations of racism as 'it's just memes' in a way that is straight from Tom Metzger's M.O.

He's 40 years old ffs.

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

He's not disturbed at all. He makes $12000 a month from donations from his followers. It's all deliberate.

Maybe not anymore, he was kicked off Patreon in December. It seems Jordan Peterson's a big fan.

https://www.businessinsider.com/patreon-crowdfunding-platform-defends-itself-amid-boycott-2018-12?r=US&IR=T

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Why not leave people alone to make their own minds up?

What is wrong with you that you can't seem to resist attacking other posters?

Because he's not "making his own mind up". He's allowing a spoonfed narrative to do that for him.

After not being able to cut APD due to State Aid rules in relation to the H & I exemption, the Scottish government has decided to abandon their manifesto pledge to cut APD by 50% and eradicate it completely when public finances allow.  The reason given for this is based on environmental impact.   Can we now expect to see APD exemptions for H & I removed for the same reason or is the environment only an excuse for abandoning a policy that has been 4 years in the making?

UK Air Passenger Duty (APD) is one of the most expensive taxes of its kind in the world and hampers Scotland’s ability to secure new direct international routes and maintain existing ones. Indeed, the level of taxation on the tourism sector, taking account of both VAT and APD, is amongst the highest in the world. This relatively high burden of taxation restricts the potential of the sector to grow to attract many more visitors to Scotland.

A pattern is now emerging where the Scottish Government makes bold pledges on doing things differently to the UK and then backtracks and leaves the existing arrangements in place.  In this case the ADT bill that was passed by Holyrood will now become redundant and APD will continue to be administered and collected by HMRC.

Personally I think that the abolition of APD and a zero rated ADT could have resulted in a reduction in overall global pollution rather than being seen to increase Scotland's pollution.  I know from a personal level that I have both driven to England and flown for connections to other countries whereas it may more competitively priced locally without the APD and reduced the overall travel.

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Tourism's growing in Scotland so fast towns and councils are struggling to cope with the effects of the demand in a way they never had to previously; I'm not sure I buy the idea APD is some kind of millstone.

Really? What are these struggles and in which towns?  Is increasing taxation (see Edinburgh's proposed levy) a mechanism to cope with the demand or a mechanism to raise funds from new sources to offset budget shortfalls?   How does any of this help with meeting one of the fundamental aims of the policy of increasing direct connections with other countries?  APD affects citizens far more than it does tourists as if I need to go to London then I get hit with 2 x APD whilst a tourist will normally only pay APD to get out of the country.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

Really? What are these struggles and in which towns?  Is increasing taxation (see Edinburgh's proposed levy) a mechanism to cope with the demand or a mechanism to raise funds from new sources to offset budget shortfalls?   How does any of this help with meeting one of the fundamental aims of the policy of increasing direct connections with other countries?  APD affects citizens far more than it does tourists as if I need to go to London then I get hit with 2 x APD whilst a tourist will normally only pay APD to get out of the country.

Edinburgh, St Andrews, Skye and Inverness are all operating at pretty much peak capacity for tourism and simply can't take any more.  It always amazes me people in Scotland who don't realise how big tourism is here, it's literally one of the world's top tourist destinations.  The new 500 route is already utterly rammed too.

Edited by Kuro

23 minutes ago, strichener said:

Dafty. Inverness to the World via Schiphol is the way to go.