General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

33 minutes ago, btb said:

Karen Bradley SoS for NI re-enters the Dumbest Cabinet Minister 2019 contest. :1eye

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47471469

Thick as sh*t.

Reminds me of  my local MP long ago,  Tom King,  then Secretary of State For NI.

His own civil servants described him as "... not the brightest spark in the universe...".

1 hour ago, btb said:

Karen Bradley SoS for NI re-enters the Dumbest Cabinet Minister 2019 contest. :1eye

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47471469

Politicians speaking before thinking is not new but it’s certainly on the increase.

At the risk of sounding like someone’s da I wonder if it is in part a product of the new media age where folk feel obliged to comment on everything quite quickly to feed the 24 hour news and comment cycle.

Speak first, think later.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Politicians speaking before thinking is not new but it’s certainly on the increase.

At the risk of sounding like someone’s da I wonder if it is in part a product of the new media age where folk feel obliged to comment on everything quite quickly to feed the 24 hour news and comment cycle.

Speak first, think later.

She's supposed to be the fucking Government Minister for NI though, and while Stormont's closed, so the top person. Something as basic as that she should have learnt on her first briefing, ie. Topics to avoid: Murders that the State were clearly complicit in, eg. Pat Finucane.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

She's supposed to be the fucking Government Minister for NI though, and while Stormont's closed, so the top person. Something as basic as that she should have learnt on her first briefing, ie. Topics to avoid: Murders that the State were clearly complicit in, eg. Pat Finucane.

I expect she's still trying to get her head round the idea that,  in NI elections,  nationalists don’t vote for unionist parties and vice versa. 

Jaw dropping from Karen Bradley. Clearly she should resign but because we are in hell she won't.
Tory ministers must be loving it.Make a total arse of it,do you you support the pms deal?if the answer is yes no problem have a week off and avoid the press ala Grayling

Context, folks. It was a discussion about female politicians and other women getting a lot of online abuse on social media and misogyny and she was making the point that there's a racial element as well as non-white women are particularly prone to receiving this abuse (using Abbott as an example).

Someone should probably have a quiet word with her and tell her that black or "woman of colour" is a more acceptable term than "coloured woman", but the point Rudd was trying to make was spot on.

Of course people should be arguing that bigoted rhetoric and comments have no place in modern society. I don’t think a woman who presided over a whole host of punitive and racist policy (remember her attempts to force companies to divulge how much British staff they hired) should be getting plaudits for saying that, however, when she can’t even do it without using a wildly outdated and offensive term.

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Jaw dropping from Karen Bradley. Clearly she should resign but because we are in hell she won't.

Just watched that clip from Bradley's speech and noted the well known bigot, Sammy Wilson, nodding enthusiastically at her every word.

Now he's come out with this....

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sinn-feins-call-for-bradley-to-resign-blatant-hypocrisy-says-sammy-wilson-37889032.html

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

Context, folks. It was a discussion about female politicians and other women getting a lot of online abuse on social media and misogyny and she was making the point that there's a racial element as well as non-white women are particularly prone to receiving this abuse (using Abbott as an example).

Someone should probably have a quiet word with her and tell her that black or "woman of colour" is a more acceptable term than "coloured woman", but the point Rudd was trying to make was spot on.

The context is she's up against Boris for the Pringle jersey'd Tory members around the country in the next leadership context. She was Home Secretary FFS, she knew exactly what she was saying.

14 hours ago, Donathan said:

You telling me an MP needs that explained to them?  

23 hours ago, Donathan said:

Who could ever forget John (Motty) Motson in a TV interview explaining how difficult a football commentator's job had become since the influx of black players to the English leagues, because, quote he :  "They all look so much alike"!! 

Dunno how the f**k that guy can be found not guilty. Every pilot knows they need to hit a certain flight level doing a loop or they need to pull out. This guy didn't hit said level and still continued his loop. How that is deemed not guilty is beyond me.